Tapping 'etiquette'

Sportman**

i urt my groin
Reaction score
After a broken jaw and slipped disc I am back into BJJ (not that I ever properly got into it).

Anyway, my question. When just training, I am often with beginners like me, so technique is naturally sloppy. When the other guy puts a hold on, often I can barely feel it, so I don't tap. The other guy will be like 'don't try and be tough man just tap' but I am not feeling close to tapping - maybe slightly uncomfortable but nowhere near a tap.

So who is in the wrong? Is this guy just not cranking to be nice, and should I repay the favour and give courtesy taps.

Or, is it more likely his technique is completley off, and I should just not tap unless I feel the strain? It is hard to tell if someone is going soft, or actually not doing it properly

this makes me wonder how you got injured in the past, lol.

If some has a properly applied submission on you you should tap because they ARE being nice by not injuring you again. if you are stuck in a submission that means they are probably doing it right. Just tap, until you know proper technical defenses. if there is descrepancy ask your instructor, and he can help you both.

After a broken jaw and slipped disc I am back into BJJ (not that I ever properly got into it).

Anyway, my question. When just training, I am often with beginners like me, so technique is naturally sloppy. When the other guy puts a hold on, often I can barely feel it, so I don't tap. The other guy will be like 'don't try and be tough man just tap' but I am not feeling close to tapping - maybe slightly uncomfortable but nowhere near a tap.

So who is in the wrong? Is this guy just not cranking to be nice, and should I repay the favour and give courtesy taps.

Or, is it more likely his technique is completley off, and I should just not tap unless I feel the strain? It is hard to tell if someone is going soft, or actually not doing it properly

I have absolutely nothing to add.

I just popped in to tell you how much I admire the breasts in your av.:D

Anyway, I have found out (the hard way) when going up against noobs (which you say you do frequently) that you should take no chances and tap quickly and unmistakably.

When ever I spar I have a goal.

They can be

1.A certain submission
2.A certain escape
3.Top game
4.Bottom game
5.To stay alive (rare, and self defeating)
6.To win by any wins neccessary (bad habit, but useful during tourney time)
7.To experiment.

For every goal I tap at different times.

Sometimes before a move is locked in completely.
Sometimes when I am absolutely stuck.
Sometimes I hold back until its almost hyperextended(a REALLY bad idea, but sometimes you got to)

For you, it sounds your issue isnt when you should tap, but what to tap to. If you go at a comfortable pace with a good partner your limbs should be in no danger. If you are uncomfortable, keep going. If your elbow, knee or neck is in pain, tap immediately.

Roll more with higher belts if you get the chance, we won't injure you.

It's just a sparring match. No need to crank it to make you tap. If you're stuck you're stuck so tap.

The submission doesnt have to hurt you, or make you feel like passing out. Its up to you to see if it "could" or if you could escape within a few seconds. You tap if it is put on.
Watch a couple of experienced guys grapple. For example, if one gets a rear naked (no GI) and its deep, the guy wont even need to tap, they will both just stop and start again. You just know..

+1

You tap because you got caught, not because you're hurting.
If he catches you and you can escape, do it.
If he catches you and you can't escape, tap.

If it wasn't on properly, still tap and tell him that it didn't feel as tight and maybe you can thus help him with his technique.

B

I tend to tap when i know I can't escape regardless of whether or not i feel pain.

In my opinion, don't tap unless you know that the opponent is a few milliseconds away from locking it in properly.
I have a sparring partner that won't tap to anything. He treats every roll as if it were the Absolute title round or something. I've choked him unconscious three times now.
On the other hand, I'v had partners that tap when I'm at the beginning of a move. No one learns anything from this. I'm not sure if I've got the lock in properly cause they are already tapping before its even really in, and they are giving up cause they don't think they can get out of it/ don't want to spend the energy defending.

So again, in my opinion, tap if you really can't get out of/ feel pain, don't if not. Don't go till your unconscious, but don't "gift" me with false confidence either.

I was rolling and applied an armbar, the kid socked me in the face so I rolled over and hipped into it like I was losing my virginity all over again. I heard popping right away and he was injured. But I didn't do it on purpose, it was instinct, because I had it in locked, but he socked me in my face so my natural reaction was to kill or be killed. No one blamed me though, they all blamed him for not tapping and trying to sock me in the face to get out of it.

generally when Im rolling with someone, when they get me in a sub Ill tap, even if it isnt forcing me to. I just aknowledge them getting the sub, tap, and we move on. Id rather just tap and move on than let him wrench it and possibly get injured

When your new to subs it is hard to know when a sub is locked in or when it is not. When your limb is extended and you cant easily pull it free . . . tap, BEFORE you feel pain in the joint.

If you wait for pain in the joint to tap your not going to be training long.

Thanks good responses. Yeah, I think a big part of it is not knowing when a sub is really locked in properly or not, espeically when people are trying to be gentle with you since your just starting out. Obviously this isn't a problem with experienced dudes because with them you can tell it is locked, they apply the right amount of pressure etc - it is with other beginners that its a problem. I mean, I don't want to 'assume' it is locked in and tap when I am not feeling any pressure and really don't know if the guy is applying it right - why give him the wrong idea?

I guess once you become more acquainted with how the subs feel you just instinctively know when someone has it locked in properly or not.

Watch a couple of experienced guys grapple. For example, if one gets a rear naked (no GI) and its deep, the guy wont even need to tap, they will both just stop and start again. You just know..

O RLY?

Ummm, yeah. I typed it didnt i?
Without having to spell out EXACTLY what i was saying, its obvious that was an example.
So be it not the best example, but you see that regularly happening between decently experienced guys that dont feel the need to spar as though its the World tourney.

One good thing we do (the noobs) is when a sub is almost there or it's pretty damn hard to get out of, we'll freeze and then coach the other person through what they need to do to ensure it locks in or is inescapable. For example, this removes the scenario where people just squeeze the shit out of each others heads while trying to go for an arm triangle etc! The same rule applies for tapping, we wont tap unless the technique is definitely in (but before it really hurts!) else it's hard to know if you are actually applying it properly.

I'm sure more experienced players have their own systems but for beginners this seems to be the most productive whilst still learning the techniques..

could you tell him that youre not feeling pressure and maybe let him experiment with different positions? thats what i would do, let him find out what works best for him by giving him feedback.

^ yes, especially in drilling/light rolling, but if it's a live roll, there is no need to tap if a submission isn't applied effectively. What good would it do anyone to tap to a triangle before it's locked in? Your partner never learns how to finish the technique properly, and you never learn how to escape it. As long as you trust your training partner's common sense (which may NOT be the case with very new grapplers), then tapping to a move before it has been finished properly is unecessary and unproductive.

chyeah. The only problem with it is they may not have the sub in right.

My advice though, a lot of subs don't really "hurt that bad" even when they are locked in right.

If you can not immediatly improve your posituion and are stuck in a sub, tap. Its better to just re-start and try again than to accidently pop, tear, or break something.

I would say if it isn't making you tap then don't tap. When they are competing their opponent isn't going to tap just because they almost have the submission right. If they aren't submitting you then they aren't applying it correctly. If you tap it just makes them think it was right and may teach them bad technique.

When I am rolling with someone and get caught in a submission position where it isn't tapping me but I can't escape I will tell them what I'm feeling and see if they can properly adjust to sink it in. Usually you can pretty clearly tell what they need to do to make it hurt so walk them through what they are doing wrong.

Back