Movies TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: MUTANT MAYHEM (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen TMNT: MUTANT MAYHEM, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
So they're making April a fat, ugly, black trans-woman.

Nice.

Yeah, I didn't get that either. April with dreadlocks? They should have changed her name to something else or created a new character. April O'Neil is about the whitest sounding name that you can have for a female.

Yeah, I didn't get that either. April with dreadlocks? They should have changed her name to something else or created a new character. April O'Neil is about the whitest sounding name that you can have for a female.
She was originally based on Eastmans girlfriend who was mixed race.

I need to dig up my old comics, I have some signed tmnt original ones. I always thought Melting Pot was the superior comic though.

She was originally based on Eastmans girlfriend who was mixed race.

I need to dig up my old comics, I have some signed tmnt original ones. I always thought Melting Pot was the superior comic though.

Based on or named after? She was originally supposed an Asian woman and then changed to White. Eastman says she is mixed and Laird says that she was white. She seemed to go through numerous changes since her introduction. One thing is for certain, she was never portrayed as "Unattractive" as she is now.

This the colorized version of her first appearance, approved by both creators.

DU9UYgZUQAIkgDt.jpg

I bought a 2nd printing of issue #1 at a flea market back in the late 80's for $50. I gave it to a friend for his birthday. Wish I would have held on to that.

Last edited:
lord help me, the producers & animators took some artistic liberties designing April in their film so that her onscreen appearance more closely resembles the actor voicing the character! oh, the humanity!

this world is reeeeeaaaally going to shit, y’know what i mean?

This was a movie that wasn't on my radar, and I only watched it based on Dragonlord's review.
Overall, I can say that I enjoyed it for what it was, even though it's not totally what I wanted it to be.
On one hand, I respect that they didn't just rehash the same origin story and took the series into a whole new direction. The movie had a good message, and it was fun.
But, you just can't beat that origin. When you compare the two, there's just no competition.

The only real issue I had with the movie is what they did with April. It's not just that they made her a chunky, average looking chick--it's that they're trying to sell to us that she's attractive. The idea of the character was fine, but come on with the extra stuff.
And the puke gag was just...gross and not fitting--especially if you're trying to sell her as being the object of Leo's affection.

And while I liked Splinter and his back story. I don't like how they came up with their ninja origins.
Overall, it was pretty alright. I'd give it a 6.8. Worth a watch with the kiddos, or in the background while you're doing other stuff.

So they're making April a fat, ugly, black trans-woman.

Nice.

I like the part where Hollywood is like this is what most women look like. Women can relate to this short, unattractive, overweight depiction. I hope women stand up for themselves.

And while I liked Splinter and his back story. I don't like how they came up with their ninja origins.
I prefer the origin story where Splinter is Hamato Yoshi because it gives his character a strong link to their nemesis Shredder/Oroku Saki.

The only real issue I had with the movie is what they did with April. It's not just that they made her a chunky, average looking chick--it's that they're trying to sell to us that she's attractive. The idea of the character was fine, but come on with the extra stuff.
And the puke gag was just...gross and not fitting--especially if you're trying to sell her as being the object of Leo's affection.
I don't think they were trying to sell us that she was attractive. She is just attractive in Leo's eyes.

I saw it. It was exactly like Seth Rogan's other movies: some good moments, but a lot of unrealized potential. Nowhere near as good as the first 1990 film, but I guess it's on par with the 1992 sequel or the cartoon film in 2007.

Also, I didn't like the visual style. The movie didn't benefit at all from having the characters look like it was stop-motion playdough. The characters' faces were off-putting a lot of the time.

I prefer the origin story where Splinter is Hamato Yoshi because it gives his character a strong link to their nemesis Shredder/Oroku Saki.

Exactly. I kept thinking how are they going to bring in Shredder, because that is THE TMNT villain.
With how they explained their ninja training, it just seems like they're going to make Shredder have some goofy origin story. Maybe a Karate Kid type of deal with how many pop culture references they made.
I do like what they did with Baxter/'Super Fly' though

With how the movie ended, it seems like it'd be more fitting to carry on as a TV show.

I don't think they were trying to sell us that she was attractive. She is just attractive in Leo's eyes

True. I meant through Leo. They didn't even try to make her physically attractive or cute in any way. But they had Leo looking at her as if she was a bombshell.
If he got attracted to her as he got to know her, that would've been fine and made sense to the story since they were focusing on liking people for who they are.

Currently watching this and I’m about to turn it off. It’s boring as fuck! This ain’t my turtles, bunch dorky ass kids. Woke ass April, thank god i decided torrent instead.

Nickelodeon has screwed up the turtles and took away their edginess for too long now.

If Seth Rogen was a non-binary Whoopi Goldberg impersonator, it'd be this version of April. His humor also fell off. TMNT originally was gritty, yet Rogen plays it safe these days.

Oh so seth rogen made it…. All i need to know

I thought the animation was cool.

Of course the Seth Rogan haters gonna hate on this movie. I don’t know shit about TMNT history but I thought this was excellent.

It was ok for a kids movie. The overuse of tribe called quest in hollywood movies really needs to stop. Their licensing must be really cheap.

The animation didnt bother me as much as in the trailer but I still wasnt a big fan. The characterizations didnt really fit their previous incarnations. I will accept I wasnt the demographic for the film and thats Ok. It was also kind of lazy writing that all of them turn good at the end.

Thx for the review Dragon, might give this a look with my kids.

Is it true that Splinter is gay now?
say-what-now-excuse-me.gif

No.

In the end, Splinter has a relationship with Scumbag who is female. There was a marketing snafu on Scumbag's individual poster where she was labeled as a he. But the director has since clarified that Scumbag was a female cockroach and that marketing screwed up the poster.

https://www.slashfilm.com/1355999/tmnt-mutant-mayhem-marketing-mistake-scumbug-female-exclusive/

I appreciate the reply, but this is basic damage control (and a louzy one at that).

Also, Not every single character needs a romantic story. Especially Splinter. GTFO with that BS.

However, I'm not paying the stupid inflated prices of movie tickets...
ecb26d200e99d03c046ecc5860ddc816.gif

Bro? Do you even news?
In the promotional posters Splinters' love interest was this:

mockup-of-a-woman-holding-a-poster-against-a-solid-background-1321-el28-3.png

At least for sometime.
Later, a "furious" Disney exec declared that it was a marketing "mistake".

A mistake...
quotation-marks-air-quotes.gif

Bro? Do you even news?
In the promotional posters Splinters' love interest was this:

mockup-of-a-woman-holding-a-poster-against-a-solid-background-1321-el28-3.png

At least for sometime.
Later, a "furious" Disney exec declared that it was a marketing "mistake".

A mistake...
quotation-marks-air-quotes.gif

Splinter... love interest... that.

I am at a loss for words.

Splinter... love interest... that.

I am at a loss for words.
They skipped the homo aspect right into bestiality. Excuse me, "interspecies erotica".

Farewell, childhood innocence...

Back