Tendonitis :( Any fellow sufferers? Anything magically work?

sakfjgadsyukgf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Long story short, I've had chronic shoulder/bicep (where it hooks into the shoulder) tendonitis for a while now..... stopped rolling entirely in September, took 4 months off, and when I came back it came back too. So, stopped BJJ entirely. Have been trying physical therapy ($600 copay so far), with little result- it's arguably getting worse. Tried getting into some kickboxing but holding pads for others in class aggravates it as well.

Anything magically work for anyone else? I've researched everything on the Internet and am probably going to start using BPC 157 or some other risky treatment here soon (injecting gray market research chemicals off the Internet directly in to my body, what could possibly go wrong lol). Am pretty disgusted with physical therapy (they do massage, cupping for increased bloodflow, and prescribe stretching and upper/mid-back exercises- good for preventative but have done zilch to actually cure the issue). I saw someone in another thread recommending Active Release Therapy, looking in to that. Anything else? HGH?

Long story short, I've had chronic shoulder/bicep (where it hooks into the shoulder) tendonitis for a while now..... stopped rolling entirely in September, took 4 months off, and when I came back it came back too. So, stopped BJJ entirely. Have been trying physical therapy ($600 copay so far), with little result- it's arguably getting worse. Tried getting into some kickboxing but holding pads for others in class aggravates it as well.

Anything magically work for anyone else? I've researched everything on the Internet and am probably going to start using BPC 157 or some other risky treatment here soon (injecting gray market research chemicals off the Internet directly in to my body, what could possibly go wrong lol). Am pretty disgusted with physical therapy (they do massage, cupping for increased bloodflow, and prescribe stretching and upper/mid-back exercises- good for preventative but have done zilch to actually cure the issue). I saw someone in another thread recommending Active Release Therapy, looking in to that. Anything else? HGH?
try thc and cbd?

What is your diet like?

I feel like it's pretty decent? I eat a mix of home cooked and to-go hot meals from a supermarket, I eat meat protein & veggies every day or most days. I use glucosamine & chondriton, a fish oil supplement, and have used tumeric in the past. None of those are helping at the moment. I also use creatine regularly.

Is there something specific I should be looking for or adding? From what I've read, joint collagen is supplemented by protein & maybe some veggies. I think it just takes a long time to heal (especially if you have tendinosis, which I think I have, not tendonitis)

I had quadricep tendonitis and it is a bitch. Not a whole ton you can do but rest it to get it better. Took me about 3 years for the pain to fully go away. You can search some YouTube videos that'll help you bring heat to the area so it will heal quicker, but other than that you just have to rest it. Good luck man, it'll get better.

Maybe consider eccentric exercises, they have a good scientific basis and have been used to heal tendinosis in other tendons, mostly the achilles and forearm flexors/extensors.

I had really good results with active release therapy. Painful as fuck during the sessions but it worked for me

I had really good results with active release therapy. Painful as fuck during the sessions but it worked for me

Is this basically really brutal massage? If so, it's the only thing that worked for a debilitating case of hip flexor tendinitis. I had to lie on a softball on a hard floor for hours. Painful as shit, but it 100% cured my case.

+1

Is this basically really brutal massage? If so, it's the only thing that worked for a debilitating case of hip flexor tendinitis. I had to lie on a softball on a hard floor for hours. Painful as shit, but it 100% cured my case.

+ infinity. i did this for climber's elbow.

have you been to an ortho? in the meantime, you should limit any activity that puts a constant or sudden strain on it. it sucks to hear this but you've gotta take time off until it's healed up again, then ease back into things. don't be a hero when you're dealing with an injury, that's one of the easiest and most surefire ways to become a has-been.

well, besides an intravenous drug habit...but a solid #2

tiger balm before training, you will not feel the pain during the session... will not heal the tendonitis though

I have this in my hips and forearms/elbow area... I was told by my Dr. that it's the old man itis Lol! Over use mainly and for it to heal you have to rest it. I incorporate strength training to strengthen the muscles around the joints. This has helped some but I can't go too heavy or it will aggravate it. Bjj is hard on the joints with all the pulling and squeezing to hold positions.. Good luck mate

I had some initial stage tendinitis before last summer, in both forearms. Took me like two months to get rid of it. Since then, I started to develop a less grip-wise stressing game, and started some lifting routine which I feel helped a lot the health of my articulations. I spent all last summer lifting indeed, with no jiu jitsu until september.

My advice would be to search for another (better) phyisician and get rid of the injury, then once completely healed change your training accordingly. Honestly man.. I'd completely drop the idea of point blankly inject stuff in your body if I was in you..

Dude, its tendonitis, don't do anything rash. I had the same thing going on in my shoulder for years and after everything I tried failed, I scheduled a surgery. Id bet the house you have some kind of muscular imbalance causing forward rotation of the shoulder blade on the bad side. Think of a car with a screwed up alignment/suspension that keeps wearing out tires unevenly. You could replace the tire as many times as you want, its not going to change. Do the ART bro, and use a foam roller. Use the foam roller to self massage your traps and rhomboids and mostly to improve thoracic extension. Just youtube "foam roller thoracic extension. Find an ART practitioner and tell him to check if your upper traps and levator scapulae muscles are tight and if he can free up your shoulder blade. I promise it will help and help quickly.

Dude, its tendonitis, don't do anything rash. I had the same thing going on in my shoulder for years and after everything I tried failed, I scheduled a surgery. Id bet the house you have some kind of muscular imbalance causing forward rotation of the shoulder blade on the bad side. Think of a car with a screwed up alignment/suspension that keeps wearing out tires unevenly. You could replace the tire as many times as you want, its not going to change. Do the ART bro, and use a foam roller. Use the foam roller to self massage your traps and rhomboids and mostly to improve thoracic extension. Just youtube "foam roller thoracic extension. Find an ART practitioner and tell him to check if your upper traps and levator scapulae muscles are tight and if he can free up your shoulder blade. I promise it will help and help quickly.

Thanks man. (I know you from Bloody Elbow too! Lol. I'm knockout_ned, been around for a while but rarely post anymore. I read all your grappling comments). That's what the PT says, shoulder impingement caused by excessively pulled forward shoulders- too much benching and typing at a computer. The thing is I've been regularly stretching for months now but it hasn't seemed to fix anything, so I dunno.

I have an appointment with a new PT that does ART scheduled for next week, so we'll see. I don't view BPC 157 as like that crazy, lots of people are using it- check the supplements section here, Reddit etc.

Yeah, brutal massage is a good description. For my tennis elbow they dug their thumb into my elbow while making me flex over and over. Then on my own I had to do a bunch of stretches for my forearm and it for better rapidly

Thanks man. (I know you from Bloody Elbow too! Lol. I'm knockout_ned, been around for a while but rarely post anymore. I read all your grappling comments). That's what the PT says, shoulder impingement caused by excessively pulled forward shoulders- too much benching and typing at a computer. The thing is I've been regularly stretching for months now but it hasn't seemed to fix anything, so I dunno.

I have an appointment with a new PT that does ART scheduled for next week, so we'll see. I don't view BPC 157 as like that crazy, lots of people are using it- check the supplements section here, Reddit etc.
Heeeey Ned! I hate to say it, but BloodyElbow kinda sucks last year or so. Im not terribly surprised that stretching isn't doing much. When we have muscular imbalances over time we not only develop scar tissue that keeps them shortened or stretched, but we develop neural irregularities that keep them shortened or stretched. ART addressed both of those. Think of a paint brush with dried paint all gunked up in the bristles, ART strips that away and allows for the return of proper bloodflow and nerve flow. Doing the thoracic extension on the foam roller is equally important because the shoulder blade sits on the ribcage and the ribcage is (obviously) directed by the spine. Get in place on the foam roller and let the weight of your body stretch you every chance you get for at least 5-10 minutes at a clip. I couldn't even do a pushup without pain and I tried EVERYTHING for my shoulder with absolutely zero improvement. ART gave me improvement within 2 sessions. Its painful, especially at first, but it is amazing. As for the research chems, I shouldn't speak on it bc I know little to nothing about them.

You could try some Voodoo flossing. It will be quite difficult to self-wrap the shoulder by yourself though. But if you want to look it up google 'Voodoo flossing Kelly Starrett'

Heeeey Ned! I hate to say it, but BloodyElbow kinda sucks last year or so. Im not terribly surprised that stretching isn't doing much. When we have muscular imbalances over time we not only develop scar tissue that keeps them shortened or stretched, but we develop neural irregularities that keep them shortened or stretched. ART addressed both of those. Think of a paint brush with dried paint all gunked up in the bristles, ART strips that away and allows for the return of proper bloodflow and nerve flow. Doing the thoracic extension on the foam roller is equally important because the shoulder blade sits on the ribcage and the ribcage is (obviously) directed by the spine. Get in place on the foam roller and let the weight of your body stretch you every chance you get for at least 5-10 minutes at a clip. I couldn't even do a pushup without pain and I tried EVERYTHING for my shoulder with absolutely zero improvement. ART gave me improvement within 2 sessions. Its painful, especially at first, but it is amazing. As for the research chems, I shouldn't speak on it bc I know little to nothing about them.

Thanks man. Yeah my interest in BE has declined along with my general interest in MMA lol. That's another story though.

We'll see how the ART goes, and I just ordered a foam roller off of Amazon (and checked out those videos)

I have it in my left wrist flares once in a while.
I just stick my hand in a tin ice bucket and that usually gets rid of it pretty quick

[Edit: Whoops, wrote this for elbow tendinitis without reading OP very closely.] Usually see improvement from light isometrics on both sides of the joint (at a few different angles of the joint), eccentrics, and working on forearm extension and opening the fingers (like against a rubber band that's wrapped around them) to offset all the gripping we do.

Back