Social Tennessee lawmakers pass bill to allow teachers to be armed

If a teacher wanted to go on a school shooting they could have easily done that before this bill. What this bill does do is allow teachers to fight back against school shooters.
I'm glad you trust them. I have kids, and I can easily see a teacher losing it one day. Having the gun right in their desk rather than at home, seems like a huge mistake to me. Especially once you get to teens, do you think most of these teachers could stop a kid going for the gun?!

I'm glad you trust them. I have kids, and I can easily see a teacher losing it one day. Having the gun right in their desk rather than at home, seems like a huge mistake to me. Especially once you get to teens, do you think most of these teachers could stop a kid going for the gun?!
If that's really your worry, it's an easy solution, just have the guns locked in a steel box or something that is controlled by a system that unlocks it when an active shooter has been determined.

Gangs of children are not Military. Not even close. To even suggest so shows you either dont know what either are, or your purposely using false rhetoric.

Gangs aren't run by children you fucking clown lmao. They recruit at the high schools though and they are 100% structured like militaries.

Any solution that relies on the heroism of an individual is a stupid one.

The best solution to try first imo are well thought out redundant security measures with real accountability measures to make sure they’re being followed to a T.

Not a bad idea

Would be better instead if it was mandatory at schools for teachers and students to open carry

Schools as well need to be fortified to deter potential school shooters

If that's really your worry, it's an easy solution, just have the guns locked in a steel box or something that is controlled by a system that unlocks it when an active shooter has been determined.

Are you listening to yourself? A lockbox that unlocks when an active shooter has been determined?! WHAT?

I've seen recommendations for a tall fence around the school. One choke point, I mean entrance. Bulletproof doors that lock the children in their rooms. Armed guards. Lock boxes of guns.

Ya'll are trying to turn schools into prisons.

Not a bad idea

Would be better instead if it was mandatory at schools for teachers and students to open carry

Schools as well need to be fortified to deter potential school shooters

C-Rams for every school!

Are you listening to yourself? A lockbox that unlocks when an active shooter has been determined?! WHAT?

I've seen recommendations for a tall fence around the school. One choke point, I mean entrance. Bulletproof doors that lock the children in their rooms. Armed guards. Lock boxes of guns.

Ya'll are trying to turn schools into prisons.
Or maybe we want to address school shootings in a way that actually works?

The only concern I would have, is the same one a prison has when a gun is involved. What if a teacher who really isn't equipped to handle guns, gets overpowered by the students and has the gun taken from them? It introduces a lot of potential problems that would not have arisen without the guns in schools.

You're gonna need more than some training at the range for this to work. You're gonna need psyche evaluations to make sure the people handling the guns and responsibility can actually handle it. It's a little more complicated than giving old Mrs. Parker in Home Ec a gun and calling it a day. You're pretty much gonna have to send them to a Police Academy.

That's a good point but it's probably just one of hundreds of issues with this bill.

It's really a terrible idea and I'm pro gun. They just need to hire trained security, like retired cops, not mall cops, instead of having teachers teach and play security at the same time. There's a lot that could and will go wrong there.

The distinction must be made about factoring in the stress levels and pressures that already exists being a teacher, and now legally suggesting they need to get into gunfights inside schools. Getting into gunfights in schools is so stressful we've seen trained Law Enforcement actively refuse to do it.
Is that really the expectation here though? Do you not see it more as a deterrent than an actual force protection or front-line response to a shooting? I'd suspect the schools would still have a shelter-in-place policy and only allow the armed response from a teacher in a classroom that is actively being attacked. That would make much more sense to me instead of leaving them unarmed and vulnerable while hiding in their classroom.

I'd hope they'd supplement this with improved physical security to discourage/prevent entry from someone meaning to harm others.

Or maybe we want to address school shootings in a way that actually works?

You want to put kids in a prison, while currently running around screaming that schools are indoctrinating kids.
What effect on a child's development do you think keeping them in a prison for 8 hours a day, for 12 years, would have?

Fall in line children!
hj-prelude-roll-call.jpg

there's a fundamental problem with the "good guys with guns" argument because in multiple school shootings where armed present officers did nothing.
So since the police in Uvalde (and in those other situations you have in mind) were cowards you think a teacher already in the building would also fail to fight back if needed? Do you not think that an armed teacher in any of those situations would've been able to fight back (as the last line of defense) and put a stop to the killing?

You want to put kids in a prison, while currently running around screaming that schools are indoctrinating kids.
What effect on a child's development do you think keeping them in a prison for 8 hours a day, for 12 years, would have?

Fall in line children!
hj-prelude-roll-call.jpg
Oh jeez.

Improving security doesn't have to equal a prison. The goal is to discourage attacks and keep unauthorized people out . . . not lock them in so they can't leave.

When can teachers draw down? What happens if there’s a fight? A fight with weapons? A fight with improvised weapons? What if a disruptive student verbally threatens a teacher? What if that student then stands up aggressively? Start walking towards the teacher? What happens if a teacher misses an active shooter and hits a student? What happens if a teacher misplaces or leaves their weapon somewhere and students access it? Will there be limitations on weapons and ammo choice? What about shots that richochet or pass through a flimsy wall and hit an innocent person? How will cops on scene differentiate between the active shooter and all the teachers with their guns in the split second they have in a situation to decide if they’re shooting someone or not?

Back