News Terrence Crawford: “They don’t pay MMA [fighters] enough, I’m sorry.”

The top boxers earn but go a couple of spots down the card and they'd be happy to get that Reebok money.

Yes, because no one has ever been fucked over in the pure and honest sport of boxing.

UFC is doing it as we speaks cause they make the rules.. even this licensed bending over is better for most then anything the other MMA organizations can offer.

We are in the leather helmets times and wild west.. no real rules and regulations.

Yes, because no one has ever been fucked over in the pure and honest sport of boxing.

They absolutely have, but the power structure of boxing easily favors top fighters more than the UFC structure.

Not just that, but Mikey was pretty well regarded and IIRC undefeated. beating him so easily has to move Spence up.
Mikey was definitely considered one of the top P4P in the world before the Spence fight. Errol made it look too easy.

Thing is, how many MMA fighters ever get to that high money level and how do they do it? Boxers seem to get more early and based on skill more than ability to hype. It's a safer bet.
i'd say mma can afford a quicker path to decent money through the ufc (with comparable experience), whereas boxers build up their individual brand through lots of fights as they work their way up (including amateurs obviosly). obviously every individual path is different but crawford took a long time to build his way up to being an earner.

I love how people complain that fighters don't get paid enough and pirate the events simultaneously. Hypocrisy at it's finest. God Bless America.
UFC is a monopoly, even if the UFC doubled their PPV numbers, only a handful of top guys would even benefit. 95% of the fighters would still get paid the same.

I'm sad that most of you don't know who "Bud" Crawford is - he is arguably the best welterweight right now (or a close 2nd to Spence).

Boxing is a weird sport that is extremely top heavy financially - the top tier guys get paid 10s of millions, while journey men are fighting for peanuts on the same under card.

I may be wrong, but all things being equal, I think a mid tier fighter (a top 15 candidate, but not championship material) would do better in MMA financially than they would in boxing. Conversely, the Canelos and Mayweathers of the world are getting paid ten times more than most UFC champions (Connor being an exception).

Mikey was definitely considered one of the top P4P in the world before the Spence fight. Errol made it look too easy.

I have Spence as my number one easily right now. Too smart, too strategic.

He just doesn't want to admit that he wouldn't be very good. He's been a pro since 2008, is 34-0 with title defenses and has a net worth is $3.5 million. Jon Jones turned pro in MMA the same year, has had 10 fewer fights and multiple suspensions and drug busts and has a net worth of $10 million. His pay problem would only be because he wouldn't be as successful in MMA.

His pay problem has nothing to do with mma and all to do with Bob Arum.

i'd say mma can afford a quicker path to decent money through the ufc (with comparable experience), whereas boxers build up their individual brand through lots of fights as they work their way up (including amateurs obviosly). obviously every individual path is different but crawford took a long time to build his way up to being an earner.

The only thing I would say to that is that of you are a top boxer, the money is guaranteed. how many all time great MMA fighters get paid comparatively less because they aren't great at hyping fights. For the most part, boxers can get paid just by being good.

I don't follow boxing but it surprises me I haven't heard of these mega rich dudes who punch for a living. Where do they hide? How do they keep away from mainstream anything ?

That makes no sense. If you don't follow a sport how the hell would you expect to know anything about them especially in Australia where they play weird sports no one else plays like the US.
Do you know who Raheem Sterling is? He's making £1 mill a month, how about Mesut Ozil he makes £1 mill every 3 weeks or Alexis Sanchez he gets £1 mill every 2 weeks.

The only thing I would say to that is that of you are a top boxer, the money is guaranteed. how many all time great MMA fighters get paid comparatively less because they aren't great at hyping fights. For the most part, boxers can get paid just by being good.
some level of money is guaranteed in both, but in both being the best doesn't make you paid the best. crawford, spence, ggg, loma all make alot less than the top earners (and ggg took a long time to get where he is now).

If you're looking to fight strictly for financial reasons, you'll go into boxing.

Easier to train, and you'll get paid more.

You will get paid more if you become part of that small pool of elite talent. Other wise you don't get paid shit either in boxing. Freddy roaches best pay day in 53 fights was about 7k apparently.

He just doesn't want to admit that he wouldn't be very good. He's been a pro since 2008, is 34-0 with title defenses and has a net worth is $3.5 million. Jon Jones turned pro in MMA the same year, has had 10 fewer fights and multiple suspensions and drug busts and has a net worth of $10 million. His pay problem would only be because he wouldn't be as successful in MMA.

His pay issue has nothing to do with mma and all to do with Bob Arum. Also, the minimum purse for him under his new contract is 3 mil and he already fought once since signing. Those net worth sites are bogus.

some level of money is guaranteed in both, but in both being the best doesn't make you paid the best. crawford, spence, ggg, loma all make alot less than the top earners (and ggg took a long time to get where he is now).

I think the top earners in boxing are great fighters who also hype fights well. In MMA, Aldo, MM, and other top level fighters were far from being at the top of earnings. Boxers as renowned as them would have closer to the top of the pay scale, IMO.

Back