Testing Gracie Academy knife-defence - does BJJ work for knife-defence?

Kind of makes you wonder why do they teach it if it won't really work?

In the civilian world how many people are really going to dedicate the immense amount of time to learn any sort of weapon defense. Maybe some techniques work but I am sure if it does it is because you made practicing it a daily part of your life.

Here is Benjamin Netanyahu who was a member of Israel Special Forces for 5 years give his opinion on martial arts for real combat. Of course he is talking about it in terms of war and not the average person.

It starts at 27:20 if you want to listen to that part

Net is right of course although in Iraq and Afghanistan , Jocko says troops would enter residences to check/clear houses and would often get into it with irate family members or outright terrorists and have to go "hands on" with people. Jocko said in these instances, BJJ/wrestling/judo helped alot to subdue people without bashing their heads in with their rifles.

Here you go: half a dozen highly trained martial artists with a wide variety of backgrounds trying to survive knife attacks for 20 seconds.

they all die every attempt.

That was fun but there's a lot of cheating going on. They put the guys in a straight up corner and the attackers are not only well trained, they do things that never happen in a real knife encounter. I like icy Mike and in one of his own videos he talks about how attackers never switched hands. In this video some of the attackers are faking hand changes and shit. They're playing a game and they're very experienced. A nice video too watch if you can't stomach the real stuff though and I cant.

That was fun but there's a lot of cheating going on. They put the guys in a straight up corner and the attackers are not only well trained, they do things that never happen in a real knife encounter. I like icy Mike and in one of his own videos he talks about how attackers never switched hands. In this video some of the attackers are faking hand changes and shit. They're playing a game and they're very experienced. A nice video too watch if you can't stomach the real stuff though and I cant.
It was definitely worst case scenario. That being said no one survived the other scenario which was to hide from knife wielding attackers in a large industrial building and then try to run to safety either.

the hand switching thing is tough to say. I have no formal knife training, but a bunch of combat sports experience. When my buddies and I played around with practice knives and some grappling/kenpo techniques they learned we found ourselves switching hands when the other guy went 2 on 1. It was natural for us, but we are also goofing off and trying to win a game? Plus we’re martial artists as well so maybe those factors mattered. Idk

Here you go: half a dozen highly trained martial artists with a wide variety of backgrounds trying to survive knife attacks for 20 seconds.

they all die every attempt.

Clearly bullshit, they had the wrong kind of martial artists!!!

Half a dozen Systema guys in army surplus gear would have forward-rolled their way through the rounds performing repeated slow motion disarms finished off with Judo Chops without a scratch on them. There's no ninjitsu guys in the video either....that I could spot.

Relevant.
Trigger warning (like honey to flies around here lol), dude gets stabbed and killed here.

I will tell you this- feel free to test it with a plastic knife. And understand that every time it jabs you, that would be the absolute worst pain you ever felt.

I do actually think that BJJ is probably the best defense if you didn't get the chance to hoof him as hard as you can in the dick when the knife came out. But you have to understand that you have to direct that knife away from anything vital and probably get like a kimura grip and start turning it on himself as soon as possible. And obviously, only enter this fight because you had no other choice.

I will tell you this- feel free to test it with a plastic knife. And understand that every time it jabs you, that would be the absolute worst pain you ever felt.

I do actually think that BJJ is probably the best defense if you didn't get the chance to hoof him as hard as you can in the dick when the knife came out. But you have to understand that you have to direct that knife away from anything vital and probably get like a kimura grip and start turning it on himself as soon as possible. And obviously, only enter this fight because you had no other choice.
I think there is no pain man, because of the adrenaline

I think there is no pain man, because of the adrenaline
When my cousin got stabbed, no one realized it had happened until he passed out in the car. His buddy was mounted being stabbed in the stomach, and they were just trying to get the other guy off of him. He felt the stabs, but thought they were punches at the time.

Reactions: noc
Back