Thai Clinch Grip Question

MMAGearGuideNet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering, does it matter which hand is on top of the other during the plum? Would your dominant hand on top or bottom make a difference in your clinch?

For example, like most people, I'm right hand-dominant, would I put my right hand on top of my left or vice versa?

Just wondering about the intricacies of the clinch, cheers.

What ever hand is on the bottom is generally the direction that you'd be pulling their head in. Let's say your right hand is on the bottom generally it's easier to pull their hand that way, wrap hand around his head over to his right ear, thatll give you the leverage you need.
It's not always the case tho everyone feels comfortable doing things differently. And if you were just pulling his head downwards it wouldnt matter, just what ever is comfortable.

Your stance will be squared and you should have no issues pulling either way. I tend to have my left on the bottom because it is my lead and usually the hand I pull them in with.

I usually have my left on the bottom first because it leads too, but I would say it depends on how you got into the clinch. If you just threw a right, grab with the left and the left will probably be on the bottom. If you just threw a left, grab with the right and the right will probably be on the bottom.

Back