Thales Leites will end almost 15-year MMA career at UFC Sao Paulo with head held high

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
After he leaves the octagon at Ibirapuera Gymnasium in Sao Paulo, where he meets Hector Lombard (34-9-1 MMA, 3-7 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 135 on Sept. 22, Leites has made his peace with the fact that will no longer be an MMA fighter.

“It’s not an idea,” Leites told MMAjunkie. “It’s been decided. I will do my last fight and I will stop.”

The decision, Leites says, has been in the making for about a year. And while he understands why fellow retired fighters would get the urge to return after being away from the cage for a while, he just doesn’t think that’s something that will happen to him.

That might be because this wasn’t a decision triggered by a specific event – like, as it’s often the case in these situations, a bad injury on specific lingering damage. His body, Leites says, is holding up just fine. But the Brazilian middleweight also knows he’s asked a lot from it after not only 36 professional fights, but also the gruelling training camps that before so many of them.

It adds up. And while he feels healthy now, he wants to give his body a rest in order to make sure that’s the case in the future, as well.

“I’m going to be 37, I already have a pretty big number of fights,” Leites said. “I don’t want to stay at 37, 38, 39 doing this very intense training that also has a lot of impact to the head – the famous concussion. Like it or not, every training session, you’re taking impact to the head.

“Not to mention the abrupt weight cuts. Doing that two to three times a year, we know it’s not healthy. It’s needed in the sport, and it’s common – of course, we do it with medical guidance, and we’re used to it. But how is the future of the athletes who started doing these weight cuts, their old age?”

Concern for future implications on his health, however, is not all there is to Leites’ decision.

“I’ve had many fights, so I don’t have the same drive, that same hunger to keep training and competing that I did before,” Leites said. ” I think my time has come. Now, there are new generations coming in. I’m happy for everything I did, everything I went through. I really enjoyed the journey and I’ll keep enjoying it, in a different way.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/thale...d-held-high-mma/amp?__twitter_impression=true

He's getting out before CTE destroys his brain. He's one of the very few smart ones who knows when to call it quits.

It is sad that we are older every day. I dont want be old :(

Thales was always a good dude. Humble, respectful and all.
Good for him knowing when to stop.

He'll be fine giving his jiu-jitsu classes.

A former title challenger for the MW title...respect to Thales

Glad he's getting out while still healthy.

Shame the Anderson fight was so bad, it's what he will be remembered for.

It's such a shame he got robbed vs Bisping, he had a nice comeback in 2015 too

He's had a very stellar career. I'm glad to see he's getting out on his own terms. Too bad he got robbed against Bisping. It was good for us since it led to Rockhold KO, but Thales likely would have been fighting a top-5 opponent next had he gotten the decision.

He had a really good career. Perhaps doesn't get the respect the deserves.

Good for him. Sounds like he's at peace with the decision.

I like the fact that he brings up the training camps and weight cuts. A lot of times we just look at the number of fights a fighter has without considering all the prep behind making it to the fight. A lot of wear and tear on the body.

Good for him. Sounds like he's at peace with the decision.

I like the fact that he brings up the training camps and weight cuts. A lot of times we just look at the number of fights a fighter has without considering all the prep behind making it to the fight. A lot of wear and tear on the body.

you can just look at him and tell it can't be good. the guy looked like the MW version of Bigfoot Silva. he's a huge MW.

It's nice when people can be real about shit and move on... Shogun.

Lombard is 3 and 7 in the UFC? LOL SHIT DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS THAT WAS BAD. I knew he definitely had a losing record, but 7 losses? Fucking lol

Lombard is 3 and 7 in the UFC? LOL SHIT DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS THAT WAS BAD. I knew he definitely had a losing record, but 7 losses? Fucking lol

Worst free agent ever signed by the UFC. Even worse than Crocop.

Jak Ellemberger and Shogun need to take notes from Thales

Ever since getting popped he has lost every single fight. 5 straight.

Even after the Burkman fight I thought he was still a force at welterweight. 35-4, 4-2 in the UFC with both losses being split decisions.

I guess him throwing around Sheilds like a child has just never left my head so I always think he will fuck shit up lol

Back