That fight further cemented Holloway's legacy

taugrim

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
It seems crazy to say this given everything Max has already done in his career, but to come into this fight — with the majority of fans here and bettors predicting Gaethje would win — and pick Justin apart for 4 out of 5 rounds then to throw down at the end like that and knock Patient Gaethje out cold was just epic.

I am going to miss Max when he retires, but that was the best he's ever looked. It was incredible when Max drowned Aldo twice, but to go up a weight class and do this against a beast like Gaethje, who has power & accuracy in both hands and crushing calf kicks, was just nuts.

Justin did knockdown Max for the 1st time in the latter's career. But aside from that moment in the fight, Max was in control, hurting Gaethje in pretty much every round of the fight.

WAR HOLLOWAY!!!

EDIT: The UFC already posted the fight-ending sequence :)

Last edited:
Also boosted Conor McGregors legacy too, he has a victory over Max on his record

It seems crazy to say this given everything Max has already done in his career, but to come into this fight — with the majority of fans here and bettors predicting Gaethje would win — and pick Justin apart for 4 out of 5 rounds then to throw down at the end like that and knock Patient Gaethje out cold was just epic.

I am going to miss Max when he retires, but that was the best he's ever looked. It was incredible when Max drowned Aldo twice, but to go up a weight class and do this against a beast like Gaethje, who has power & accuracy in both hands and crushing calf kicks, was just nuts.

Justin did knockdown Max for the 1st time in the latter's career. But aside from that moment in the fight, Max was in control, hurting Gaethje in pretty much every round of the fight.

WAR HOLLOWAY!!!
I just couldn't believe people were comparing Max to Tony fucking Ferguson. Such a laughable comparison, I'm not crapping on Ferg, but Max is tiers above compared to him.

That round ending KO has to be the GOAT in the UFC.

I just couldn't believe people were comparing Max to Tony fucking Ferguson. Such a laughable comparison, I'm not crapping on Ferg, but Max is tiers above compared to him.

That round ending KO has to be the GOAT in the UFC.
Agreed.

Tony had insane cardio, incredible pressure, great BJJ, and a granite chin until Gaethje cracked it, but Tony never had the striking defense, vision, and accuracy that Max does.

People predicted Max was going to get rocked by Arnold Allen and Gaethje. Justin to his credit did register the 1st knockdown on Max ever. But Max just pieced him up for the majority of that fight.

Max's cornermen are really good. They're always encouraging Max to fight smart, keep it clean, etc. Max's success and longevity are a credit to their correctly coaching their fighter.

Cemented forever as a Fan Favourite. He always has been but this fight cemented it even further.
It is what it is.

Back