That time when Max Holloway drowned Jose Aldo

Max is a warrior..

xT8qB0sJy6TqjgBE7S.gif

Max deserves more respect for his victories against Aldo.
Aldo was still very close to his prime and i think the fact that he - years later - is still elite in an equally stacked division shows this.

Aldo was still very close to his prime and i think the fact that he - years later - is still elite in an equally stacked division shows this.
I'll always be more impressed with a win like this then what Conor did to him. Flash KOing someone is one thing, but for someone to completely dismantle Aldo in this fashion is something to behold.

Kind of annoying that Aldo only went for the takedown after he was pretty much out on his feet. Aldo with a reactive double would've been a true beast but he never really seemed interested in integrating his grappling into his overall game. I get that it can be draining but he's an above average black belt so him leaning on the grappling really could've made a difference in a fight like this one.

Props to Max though, what an amazing performance.

Last edited:

Aldo was fully in his prime. The more amazing performances he had after the Conor-Max losses the more it's proven.

Looking back at the Holloway fights I can't understand how anyone can claim Aldo should be ranked above him in the FW rankings.

I'll always be more impressed with a win like this then what Conor did to him. Flash KOing someone is one thing, but for someone to completely dismantle Aldo in this fashion is something to behold.
Yeah, not to take anything away from Conor, but i agree.

A performance like this is always more conclusive than a knockout within minute 1.

Max is ducking lw just like canner did. He sucks at lw.

War Aldo

Aldo was fully in his prime. The more amazing performances he had after the Conor-Max losses the more it's proven.

Looking back at the Holloway fights I can't understand how anyone can claim Aldo should be ranked above him in the FW rankings.
Just because a fighter isn't in his prime anymore, doesn't mean that fighter can't still have amazing performances, but i'd have to watch both Max fights as well as some earlier fights of Aldo to give a concrete statement on whether Aldo was still in his prime or not.

Surely Aldo's leg injury (or whatever injury it was that hampered his kicking game) did play a role though, no?

It must've felt like a nightmare for Aldo. The same thing happening to him twice, in the same round, getting drowned by strikes while throwing back with lethal intentions and having no results...

I would describe Max's dominant performances as the stand up equivalent of a Khabib mauling.

Back