The 20 greatest fighters of all time imo

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Strictly by resume. Watcha think

Suga Ray Robinson is number 1. Pretty obvious

i think the next nine to round out the top ten is something like (no order)

Ali
Louis
Armstrong
Greb
Walker
Archie
Leonard
Floyd
Pac

next 10 is something like (in no order)

Duran
Langford
Wilde
Ross
Lennox
Hopkins
Jofre
Ezzard
Benny
Packey or Cazoneri

oh and clinton woods

Ali
Louis
Armstrong
Greb
Walker
Archie
Leonard
Floyd
Pac

Duran
Langford
Wilde
Ross
Lennox
Hopkins
Jofre
Ezzard
Benny
Packey or Cazoneri

oh and clinton woods
Hopkin’s best wins were against two welterweights

I think Mayweather over Duran is a pretty indefensible position

Duran's resume is head and shoulders above Floyd's
it is? 1-4 vs the the 4 kings+ benetiz

loss to kirland laing i think dings him significantly as well

best scalp at LW is probably De Jesus but he did also lose to him

obviously have to nit pick abit when it's great fighters.

but i do think floyd has a better resume

Hopkin’s best wins were against two welterweights
mmmmm. i guess it depends on what you consider his best wins.

but there is quite a bit of quality on his resume imo. Oscar and Tito yeah. But Tarver, Pavlik, Pascal, Winky, Johnson, Holmes, Echols, Vanderpool, Allen, Brown, Eastman JDJ, Cloud, Murat, Shumenov,

is not bad

Forgot about the Pavlik win, I would say he’s got one the most consistent resumes, outside of Pavlik all those guys you mentioned were Joppy type opponents or past their primes or their best weight

I've tried to make an all time list before (although ranked and a higher number) but it's damn hard with so much to consider. What would your next ten look like?

it is? 1-4 vs the the 4 kings+ benetiz

loss to kirland laing i think dings him significantly as well

best scalp at LW is probably De Jesus but he did also lose to him

obviously have to nit pick abit when it's great fighters.

but i do think floyd has a better resume
Floyd would never even think about fighting Hearns or Hagler

Duran is one of the top 3 lightweights ever and his win over Ray Leonard is one of the best wins of all time. His resume also includes underrated wins like beating Barkley at 160 when he was well past his prime.

I’d also be ok if you slipped ezzard into the top ten
Not a bad list at all, but I would move Charles up because I'm a homer, and I can take the flaming---but I have Floyd 1/1a with SRR.

no zellenoff
!
? and you call yourself a fan!

for shame

yea duran fought leonard but he never came up against the killers that zellenoff fought. look at common opponents. leonard fought sr. too but it took him 9 hotly contested rounds to eke out a tko where lonard looked very
Beatable

then zellenoff absolutely destroyed a prime Sr. in his own backyard. the pinpoint accuracy and mesured aggression that jeZovah showed would have left any of the four in a heap. hagler, duran, Leonard, and Hearns would get mulched.

funny too! after zellaxnder the GOAT dismantled SR. and Wilder you didnt fuckin hear a peep from hagler or Leonard. i guess their lizard brains kicked in and they knew it was time to fly instead of fight.

Ali
Louis
Armstrong
Greb
Walker
Archie
Leonard
Floyd
Pac

Duran
Langford
Wilde
Ross
Lennox
Hopkins
Jofre
Ezzard
Benny
Packey or Cazoneri

oh and clinton woods

Hopkins-- no, for the already stated reasons. His most resounding top wins were against guys who were 2 weight classes below him. And Canzoneri def belongs in the top 20 not just for his resume and the eye test, but for his influence.

And not to derail the thread but: I rewatched Floyd v. DLH last night... Floyd won that fight but it was close, and left me thoroughly unimpressed. I'd flip Duran above Floyd, cause idgaf what anybody says, the Big 4 (Hearns, Hagler, Leonard, Duran) would have wiped the floor with either Floyd or Oscar.

Oscar had no ideas, no initiative, and Floyd had no ambition, no killer instinct. Floyd/De La Hoya has to be one of the most overrated big fights ever.

Last edited:
Honestly think Greb is pretty overrated by everyone.

In before Pulev.

Decent list, BTW. There may be room for Fitzsimmons, Langford and Ross, but everyone has his own criteria.

Based on ?
Genuinely curious what makes him overrated
His resume is 95% tomato cans. People make a big deal of him having so many fights, but who were most of those guys? He beat Tunney once but does Tunney really rate that high for anyone? Who else did he beat? Loughran? No one that a dozen other guys also beat.

Aside from sheer volume of opponents, his resume is not that great.

Back