The 2023 World Series was the lowest-rated and least-watched ever.

codfather

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
They began properly tracking that stuff in 1968.

In terms of TV market size, Rangers vs D-backs is the the 5th largest vs the 11th largest, so it wasn't a horrible match-up.

Here's the last 30 years...

worldseries30yeartrend.png

Last edited:
Not surprised. Everyone was hoping for an Astros-Phillies matchup again. Even a Rangers-Phillies matchup would have been good

Isn't that true for all US sports besides football?

I just checked the nba final ratings. 2 of the past 3 were the lowest they've been ever (not counting the covid year even, which was lower).

I remember when the World Series seemed important in the 1960s when the games were played during the day. Baseball seemed to be more popular and has slowly faded into obscurity in my view. I thought that it might be just me that lost interest. I had listened to Milwaukee Braves radio broadcast. When the Braves left in 1966, I lost interest in baseball. I experienced a return when the Pilots came to Milwaukee and became the Brewers. I was a fan through the 80s into the 90s slowly losing interest as the team had to divest itself of their better players.

That might well be the reason that baseball is losing many fans. There is no team identity anymore as players often don't stay with a team more than a couple of years. Teams can't afford to keep the players they develop. The NFL is going through the same thing but at least they get 4 years with draft choices. Basketball team turnover is just constant.

I remember when the World Series seemed important in the 1960s when the games were played during the day.

I can remember the Dodgers - NYY 1981 WS having day games. When Bucky Dent hit the HR in the 163rd game, it was an afternoon game. I think we caught the last 3 innings after school.

Did the Tigers - SF Giants play an afternoon game in the early 2010s?

When I was living in NYC 20yrs ago I can remember a few local sports personalities predicting the end of baseball for kids because WS games were starting so late for the west coast numbers.

They began properly tracking that stuff in 1968.

In terms of TV market size, Rangers vs DiBacks is the the 5th largest vs the 11th largest, so it wasn't a horrible match-up.

Here's the last 30 years...

worldseries30yeartrend.png

Can't really be surprised. Didn't know D-Backs were the 11th largest market, but they totally lacked star appeal for anyone outside of that city to give a shit about them. It was a 5 seed vs. 6 seed I think, so kind of a horrible match up in that regard.

I remember when the World Series seemed important in the 1960s when the games were played during the day. Baseball seemed to be more popular and has slowly faded into obscurity in my view. I thought that it might be just me that lost interest. I had listened to Milwaukee Braves radio broadcast. When the Braves left in 1966, I lost interest in baseball. I experienced a return when the Pilots came to Milwaukee and became the Brewers. I was a fan through the 80s into the 90s slowly losing interest as the team had to divest itself of their better players.

That might well be the reason that baseball is losing many fans. There is no team identity anymore as players often don't stay with a team more than a couple of years. Teams can't afford to keep the players they develop. The NFL is going through the same thing but at least they get 4 years with draft choices. Basketball team turnover is just constant.
I'm a fan of a team as long as they have good players. I'll follow the good players to their new team.

Historically, seems like the Rangers often had good hitters, so this World Series was good for me.

Can't really be surprised. Didn't know D-Backs were the 11th largest market, but they totally lacked star appeal for anyone outside of that city to give a shit about them. It was a 5 seed vs. 6 seed I think, so kind of a horrible match up in that regard.
They have rookie Corbin Carroll who's super fast, willing to steal bases, and could very well go 30 HR, 30 SB before too long. It's their own fault for not doing enough to showcase him as a badass.

Zac Gallen is another elite player, who I think pitched a bunch of no hit innings maybe in the last game.

Yes I remember the 2000 World Series with the Yankees and Mets did horrible numbers because no one outside of New York cared. Good numbers in a big market ain't a substitute for national interest.

They have rookie Corbin Carroll who's super fast, willing to steal bases, and could very well go 30 HR, 30 SB before too long. It's their own fault for not doing enough to showcase him as a badass.

Zac Gallen is another elite player, who I think pitched a bunch of no hit innings maybe in the last game.
American sports are crazy. The bigger clown you are more people cheer for you and notice you crazy assumption but true. I mean more stupid dances you do And signature moves you do and more clowning you are more notice and applause you get. I follow football aka soccer and Vinny junior would be perfect in MLS he could dance every week new one and every week he would get different more intense applause and following.guy could talk like a clown walk like clown dance like clown dribble on midfield like clown and in USA he would be biggest star. But in football he gets abused.probably baseball is traditional sport that discourage clownish behavior so they are not noticed by American public like nfl nba

Back