The Alpha Destiny Novice Program

SRN

SOCRATEEEES
@Silver
Reaction score
I like Alex, he seems to be well informed and dedicated. What do you guys think about his novice training? Looks more exciting than SS and SL. I know I missed some arm work when I was doing SL.

Workout A

Box Squat 3/5×4-6
Floor Press or Pause Bench 3/5×4-6
Pendlay Row 3/5×4-6
Overhead Barbell Extension 3×6-10
Barbell/Dumbbell Preacher Curl 3×6-10
Stiff-Legged Deadlift/Good Morning 2-3×6-10
Weighted Plank 3×30-60s

Workout B

Box Squat 3/5×4-6
Paused Overhead Press 3/5×4-6
Trap-Bar Deadlift 2×4-6
Close-Grip Bench Press 3×6-8
Weighted Chin-up 3×3-5
Weighted Plank 3×30-60s

How do I make progress?

For the major compound exercises, you’re either doing sets of 3 or 5. You never do sets of 4, for reasons that are much too complicated for this section. It’s one or the other, no questions asked.

If doing 3 sets, the total amount of reps should add up to 15-18. The manner in which the reps add up to 15-18 does not matter as long as you are still within the rep range. If doing 5 sets, the reps should add up to 25-30. Still, the method in which you achieve 25-30 reps is irrelevant as long as you stick within the rep range. Once you hit the desired total amount of reps (15-18 or 25-30) you will increase weight. For squats, this will be 5-10lbs per progression, deadlifts 10-20lbs per progression, and bench press 5-10lbs per progression. Obviously, the stronger you become, the smaller the jumps in weight. Nonetheless, if you reach the desired sets/reps, make sure to add weight the next workout. Never repeat the same weights if you’ve already mastered them. You’re looking for constant linear progression.

By the way, if you can handle performing all sets, go with it. However, if it is impeding your ability to recover or is causing you to stall, only perform the minimum amount of sets needed for all exercises. Ex: 3 sets vs. 5 sets is not a big deal. (In the end, it will only make a small difference)

http://outalpha.com/the-out-alpha-novice-program/

Alex's channel for those that don't know him
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAlphaDestiny

This guy sucks and that program is just a variation of a jason blaha program and many others like it. He’s actually not well informed and hopped on gear to try and validate his program and shitty advice. Note the male pattern baldness that accompanied his physique exploding with muscle. He’s also an ego lifting piece of shit who uses terrible form and excuses when he doesn’t hit a weight

Can't stand that dude. Trust me, he doesn't know what he's talking about at all. He grabs whatever information he can find on the internet and then regurgitates it pretending to know physiology, rehabilitation, biomechanics and so forth. As a physio he really gets my goat because he gives terrible advice with absolute certainty. Sometimes his advice is actually pretty decent, but it's completely up to chance. A broken clock is right twice a day.

In regards to the program, well, it could work for you sure. There's a lot of options out there. Find something that works for you, that you enjoy and gets you the results you want.

The rep range and progression is fine, and I don't see a problem with box squats and trap bar deadlifts as a Low bar back squat/deadlift replacement. The core lifts are multi-joint, and the exercise variation isn't too extreme. If the choice of exercises improves enjoyment and adherence for you I don't see any big issues.

Oh ignore all the advice on how you have to to be on the program until you hit specific numbers. Novice is defined by your ability to recover session to session while making linear increases and nothing else.

Also his target number of reps obviously is bad math. If the maximum number of reps is 5 and the maximum number of sets is 5, you can't have a range of 25-30.

I do like the variability in set/rep schemes, and to milk the program longer i would do it like this.

First pass through, do a more minimal number of set/reps (probably 15 total reps in a major multi-joint exercise. When you stall, subtract 10-15 percent, and then increase the target number of reps, so that you can accumulate more stimulus by the time you hit the weight again.

Oh also ignore the stuff about going belt-less. The program is fine, but a lot of the advice/rationale here is dumb.

imagine the times when there were only books of champions and advice of bigger and stronger people from your gym. ha ha

imagine the times when there were only books of champions and advice of bigger and stronger people from your gym. ha ha

Better really

Now there is too much information and it's paralysis by analysis and then you think you'e missing out not doing the next thing so you chop and change too frequently

Or that's me anyway

Better really

Now there is too much information and it's paralysis by analysis and then you think you'e missing out not doing the next thing so you chop and change too frequently

Or that's me anyway
So true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back