Social The American Society of Magical Negroes. Leftist racism on full display.

Problem with leftist logic is they think weak ones are the good no matter what. I guess if a white guy goes to China, he can't be racist no matter what because he has no power there.

man the usual snowflake racists are coming fast and full front on this one.

"leftists racism"

Thats a new one. Like an anti-semetic-jew

LMAO!!!
Anti-semitic jews = Uncle Ruckus = Leftist white people

At this point, I don't even think it's possible to make a ground breaking movie.

I've always been a movie buff and I don't really care what any movie is about, if it's supposed to be half decent, I'll watch it.

Us was just garbage on every front. Plot sucked, characters were dumb, and the idea in general was just retarded lol. Everything Jordan Peele has made has been overrated tbh.

Nope was a big jump up in quality. Awesome production values, decent story, and weird shit with a monkey. Nope isn't anything groundbreaking or earth shattering, but it's hard to find a good monster movie these days and it's certainly one of the better ones in recent memory that I can recall. On my scale I'd give it a solid 7/10.

I can only think of a handful of movies I have liked the last few years. Dune (haven’t seen 2 yet) a quiet place 1, Deadpool, logan(loved this one so much), John wick 1&3, life, and maybe a few more-but there has been a dearth of really good movies lately. I miss the age of great movies like gladiator, departed, tombstone, black hawk down, the last samurai-just off the top of my head

I doubt he was aware enough to know what a scientologist is.

I was only a kid when that movie came out, but I do distinctly remember all the cinema critics trashing that movie mercilessly before it was released in theaters.

What was their magic tricks; credit score above 650 and changing the battery in their smoke detector?

Well, it's 3% on rotten tomatoes is generous in my opinion. It was written by L. Ron Hubbard...

I read the book, which was a steaming pile of crap. I had no interest in seeing the film, but eventually curiosity got the best of me. I wanted to see just how bad it was.

I have no idea how a film that bad is even possible.

I think we all have that one movie that taught us not to believe trailers, lol.

I just saw The American Society of Magical Negroes, it wasn't that bad. It wasn't very good, but it wasn't terrible. Pretty mediocre.

I like Justice Smith and An-Li Bogan was really good, hope to see her in something better. She stole this film in the last thirty seconds.

This movie actually failed both audiences. The woke wanted more social commentary but the movie went full romcom rather than take any risks. The right wanted it to be more woke so they could mock it more but like I said they played it safe. Everyone ends up disappointed

Yeah I'm not saying the trope doesn't exist. I was just surprised the Green Mile was a big example.
why is that surprising? John Coffey in The Green Mile is a perfect example of the magical negro character trope.

[green text] are the characteristics that are commonly used to define the magical negro trope:
Using magical and spiritual gifts for the White character. The basis of the magical Negro characterization is his or her use of spiritual gifts to assist the White lead character . . . John Coffey ... uses his spiritual gifts to help many; however, his actions are directed primarily toward the interests of Paul Edgecombe, the lead White character. After Coffey cures Edgecombe from an ailment, he uses his gifts again under Edgecombe’s direction. The other beneficiaries of Coffey’s gifts ... serve to demonstrate his gifts and to explain the injustice of his confinement.

Assuming primarily service roles. The magical Negro characters often provide services for White male characters. John Coffey ... provides services for Whites in another manner; he uses his magical abilities to heal and serve. ... Interestingly, the jailors at the prison plan to use John Coffey’s services to help the warden’s wife who has cancer; however, they neither consider nor consult Coffey when conspiring to take advantage of his magical abilities.

Exhibiting folk wisdom as opposed to intellectual cognition. Entman and Rojecki (2001) identified a facet of the magical Negro characterization as offering “a basic folk wisdom that unleashes the White person’s better instincts and helps resolve his dilemmas” (p. xvii). ... The magical Negro sometimes helps the White character(s) by using his or her wisdom, and in other instances, he or she helps the White characters get in touch with their own wisdom. In both instances, however, the magical Negro’s abilities focus on folk wisdom, not his or her intelligence. [Coffey] provides direct assistance through his folk wisdom and powers ... he admits that he is not intellectually gifted: “I don’t know much of anything. I never have.” Coffey has another form of wisdom ... Coffey feels the souls of those he touches.

Possessing limited role outside of magical/spiritual guide. Some [magical Negroes] have limited roles outside of their spiritual gifts. These characters tend to be one dimensional and add little more to the story than their magical powers. [Coffey] reveals little depth of character. Coffey has no ties other than to the White people he helps ... Coffey has no history or relatives ... Coffey exists as a magical being that aids White people.

Displaying an inability to use his or her powers to help himself or herself. In their pursuit to enlighten and improve the lives of their White lead counterparts, magical Negroes cannot use their powers to improve their own lives or have the ability to save themselves. John Coffey never seems to care about his wrongful imprisonment. Instead of pursuing release, he lets the use of his powers be directed by Paul Edgecombe. John Coffey helps the warden’s ailing wife but does not have this same regard for his own survival. When the movie concludes, he would rather die in the electric chair as a convicted murderer than try to clear his name or understand his gifts. ... Coffey has no sense of identity beyond his magical power to save the White characters in the film.

The Green Mile ... [does] not show mutually beneficial relationships. Instead, [The Green Mile] primarily show how Blacks can assist Whites. [The Green Mile] also depict Blacks in more negatively stereotypically ways, such as in service roles. [Coffey] dutifully assist the White lead characters and expect little in return. [Coffey does not] attempt to seek assistance from the White characters despite their sacrifice and aid to them. Furthermore, [Coffey lacks] purpose when [he does not] eagerly come to the assistance of the White characters. It shows that Blacks, specifically Black males, still rely on Whites to guide and direct their abilities ... Despite Blacks’ talents and abilities, they do not know how to use them appropriately without someone to instruct them how to do so.

Last edited:
why is that surprising? John Coffey in The Green Mile is a perfect example of the magical negro character trope.
I agree that it's a lot more accurate than just having a black guy who happens to help out a white guy. Apparently, "friendship" between the races is "magical".

Can't say that there are too many John Coffee-like "magical negro"(I feel dirty just typing it, LOL) characters out there, that would make it a stereotypical trope. Seems to me that the people bitching about it, just don't like race mixing in general.

Morgan Freeman's characters were mentioned. Which ones? "Unforgiven"?..."The Shawshank Redemption"? Ya know, where he was just friends with white people, and had an impactful role in the story? I know he played God in "Bruce Almighty", but I don't think that's what people are thinking about with this. Seems to be coming from a place of racist hate more than anything else.

I agree that it's a lot more accurate than just having a black guy who happens to help out a white guy. Apparently, "friendship" between the races is "magical".

Can't say that there are too many John Coffee-like "magical negro"(I feel dirty just typing it, LOL) characters out there, that would make it a stereotypical trope. Seems to me that the people bitching about it, just don't like race mixing in general.
The Matrix trilogy, The Legend of Bagger Vance, Bringing Down the House, Bruce Almighty, Nurse Betty, Ghost, The Family Man, What Dreams May Come, The Defiant Ones, The Shining, Vanishing Point, Holy Man, Kazaam

HereticBD: said:
Morgan Freeman's characters were mentioned. Which ones? "Unforgiven"?..."The Shawshank Redemption"? Ya know, where he was just friends with white people, and had an impactful role in the story? I know he played God in "Bruce Almighty", but I don't think that's what people are thinking about with this. Seems to be coming from a place of racist hate more than anything else.
the magical negro typically will have an impact on the story and/or its characters. i don't think it comes from a place a racist hate, since that would imply intention on the filmmakers part. i don't believe that is usually the case.

Last edited:
Problem with leftist logic is they think weak ones are the good no matter what. I guess if a white guy goes to China, he can't be racist no matter what because he has no power .
Loved China tbh but Tibet was really epic some years ago when Westerners were still permitted.
My blonde gf was a huge hit btw.
Off topic I guess. Just reminded me.

The Matrix trilogy, The Legend of Bagger Vance, Bringing Down the House, Bruce Almighty, Nurse Betty, Ghost, The Family Man, What Dreams May Come, The Defiant Ones, The Shining, Vanishing Point, Holy Man, Kazaam
They're just roles, though. Race has nothing to do with it. If they were all white people, there would be complaints about having no meaningful representation in movies. They hire black actors for these seminal roles, and that's bad too? You can't win.

Kazaam, though? Really? I guess put "Black Panther" up there too...

They're just roles, though. Race has nothing to do with it. If they were all white people, there would be complaints about having no meaningful representation in movies. They hire black actors for these seminal roles, and that's bad too? You can't win.

that's a really reductive way to look at it.

At first glance, casting the Black and White leads in this manner seems to provide examples of Black and White characters relating to each other in a constructive manner; however, a closer examination of these interactions suggests a reinvention of old Blackstereotypes rather than authentic racial harmony.

even if well-intentioned, or even completely unintentional/by chance, i personally don't see an issue w/ lending a critical eye (especially from a black perspective) through textual analysis of the white/black relationships in the aforementioned movies, & how it could be perceived as perpetuating the liminal status of black people "in the eyes of those who produce dominant culture and of those who consume it"

that's a really reductive way to look at it.
It really isn't though. These are all actors. They get roles. I'm more intrigued by the "black dresses" trope, where damn near every famous black person has had to cross dress at some point. I think that has more legs, and is WAY more negative than black people getting big roles.

even if well-intentioned, or even completely unintentional/by chance, i personally don't see an issue w/ lending a critical eye (especially from a black perspective) through textual analysis of the white/black relationships in the aforementioned movies, & how it could be perceived as perpetuating the liminal status of black people "in the eyes of those who produce dominant culture and of those who consume it"
I don't agree. To me, this is like when white people bitch about there being too many black husbands in commercials. I mean, where is the negativity?

Kazaam is the magical negro trope. It’s 7 foot genie that lives in a boombox that decided to hell an innocent white child. He has no real character development.

Black Panther character isn’t a magical negro. The character is a king that has his own agenda for his people. Sure he shows up to help his white friends but he has his own story. If you want to look for magical negro tropes in superhero movies. Think of Nick Fury from Avengers or Lucius Fox from Batman.

It really isn't though. These are all actors. They get roles.
you can't say it isn't followed immediately by more reductive thinking. a lot of those characters were written as black. the ones who weren't still play a role in shaping the magical negro & racial stereotypes because at its core, the trope is an extension of black images in media.
"[Media] images are based on ideologies that represent real aspects of social existence."

I'm more intrigued by the "black dresses" trope, where damn near every famous black person has had to cross dress at some point. I think that has more legs, and is WAY more negative than black people getting big roles.
haven't heard of this one, but i can see how it'd be something worth exploring deeper

I don't agree. To me, this is like when white people bitch about there being too many black husbands in commercials. I mean, where is the negativity?
i guess critical analysis from the black perspective should just fuck right off & stop whining then

Kazaam is the magical negro trope. It’s 7 foot genie that lives in a boombox that decided to hell an innocent white child. He has no real character development.
And neither do a thousand other shitty superheroes, played by white people.

If you want to look for magical negro tropes in superhero movies. Think of Nick Fury from Avengers or Lucius Fox from Batman.
But again. those are just roles. I'm pretty sure Nick Fury was race swapped. The character was not a black man, but had the same characteristics. He can't have those characteristics now, because he's black? Lucius Fox was not created out of thin air for the Batman movie franchise, either. It's a character in the cannon of the franchise. He's the guy who builds all the toys for Batman. I don't know what his race has to do with anything.

This just seems like racial paranoia looking for things to question.

Last edited:
Back