The Anime and Manga Thread v48

I'm not a manga reader or a hardcore anime enthusiast, but personally I think JJK is better than Chainsaw Man in terms of the anime. Luckily it's not a competition and I can enjoy both.

The correct opinion. I only glanced at both animes, but JJK was breathtakingly good, especially the movie, and Chainsaw Man a disappointment. On the other hand, I read JJK as manga years ago, and while it definitely had some good ideas och above average art, did it however lose my interest and made me drop it. But it definitely had some memorable moments that still is stuck in my mind, and maybe I should give it another chance. Now, Chainsaw Man, let me say it, is in manga form absolutely brilliant, and I was engrossed in it during it weekly releases in part one to an extent that I can't remember any other manga ever did for me. Fast paced, shocking, hilarious, great characters, and some of the most memorable scenes and conceptually genial scenarios I have ever encountered. As far as shounen goes, I put it above all else together with HxH.

Last edited:
Just watched your name movie. Went in with low expectations so I was surprised by the quality. Pacing was good. I didn’t like A silent voice, thought it was hella corny, stupid and couldn’t get through the first 30 minutes so I figured I’m just not into this kind of anime. But I ended up liking your name. Very compelling and touching lol

Also watched mob psycho 100 season 3. That shit was pretty good. Nothing crazy but I liked it

Last edited:
Need a new anime to watch? Any suggestions?
I was thinking of catching up on my hero academia, or watching to your eternity season 2. Really liked the first one. Also spy x family season 2. Idk so many options not enough time.
Also is the new from slayer done yet?

Last edited:
Maaaan, that new Baki season is ridiculous. Extremely shitty, homoerotic, cheapest machismo worshipping, inhuman, xenophobic and stupid.

I loved it!

Same goes for Dark Schneider.
Is Dark Schneider in Bastard?

Maaaan, that new Baki season is ridiculous. Extremely shitty, homoerotic, cheapest machismo worshipping, inhuman, xenophobic and stupid.

I loved it!

Same goes for Dark Schneider.

I believe what I'm commenting about is covered in the anime, but I haven't watched it so I can be wrong. Saw a screenshot however with the scene however.

I always found it hilarious how Itagaki's, let's say, homoerotic-masochistic aesthetic tendencies made him enjoy the idea of turning his protag into a cuck, only to then later realize that having your protag being cuckolded is not a good look and then proceeding to completely bury Jr.

... Ah, looked it up and saw that this season was about Pickle. That was a fun arc.

Need a new anime to watch? Any suggestions?
I was thinking of catching up on my hero academia, or watching to your eternity season 2. Really liked the first one. Also spy x family season 2. Idk so many options not enough time.
Also is the new from slayer done yet?

Since you enjoyed Your Name., I will mention that the best of Shinkai Makoto's movies that I have watched was 5 Centimeters per Second, but also the most depressing anime I ever saw. Out of the three you mentioned, I find both MHA and Spy x Family mediocre, having dropped MHA long since while still enjoying Spy x Family for what it is and isn't, but remembering Your Eternity being really, really good in manga-format though I manged to forget about it after getting caught up with it. I should probably catch up with it again, or better yet reread the whole thing.

However, speaking of animation quality, I don't remember about Your Eternity, but MHA and Spy x Family is both top notch, and might be reason alone to watch them if that is your thing. If you haven't watched it, then it's worth mentioning that HxH is the best shounen ever, by far - incomparably to something like MHA really.

A fun little gem that might be somewhat obscure is Kyousougiga, if you want something short. 10 episodes with very likeable characters and a somewhat mysterious and intriguing world that gradually gets revealed. Buddhist themes, in a mostly lighthearted and comedic way, but not without depth. Great concept, wonderfully executed. I loved it since the first episode and did rewatch it some years later, something I only do when a anime feels truly special.

Last edited:
I believe what I'm commenting about is covered in the anime, but I haven't watched it so I can be wrong. Saw a screenshot however with the scene however.

I always found it hilarious how Itagaki's, let's say, homoerotic-masochistic aesthetic tendencies made him enjoy the idea of turning his protag into a cuck, only to then later realize that having your protag being cuckolded is not a good look and then proceeding to completely bury Jr.

... Ah, looked it up and saw that this season was about Pickle. That was a fun arc.
Yea, he really tried to make Baki above mere relationships and not taking Jr. serious which backfired a bit. I also liked the build up of Jr. All his struggles just to get annihilated in a second which is not the worst storytelling honestly to make Baki badass.

The Prickle storyline is ridiculous. He's well hung, more beast than men, does what he wants, still a bit the "noble savage". It's so wrong on so many levels. Quite refreshing.

Since you enjoyed Your Name., I will mention that the best of Shinkai Makoto's movies that I have watched was 5 Centimeters per Second, but also the most depressing anime I ever saw. Out of the three you mentioned, I find both MHA and Spy x Family mediocre, having dropped MHA long since while still enjoying Spy x Family for what it is and isn't, but remembering Your Eternity being really, really good in manga-format though I manged to forget about it after getting caught up with it. I should probably catch up with it again, or better yet reread the whole thing.

However, speaking of animation quality, I don't remember about Your Eternity, but MHA and Spy x Family is both top notch, and might be reason alone to watch them if that is your thing. If you haven't watched it, then it's worth mentioning that HxH is the best shounen ever, by far - incomparably to something like MHA really.

A fun little gem that might be somewhat obscure is Kyousougiga, if you want something short. 10 episodes with very likeable characters and a somewhat mysterious and intriguing world that gradually gets revealed. Buddhist themes, in a mostly lighthearted and comedic way, but not without depth. Great concept, wonderfully executed. I loved it since the first episode and did rewatch it some years later, something I only do when a anime feels truly special.
Yap, ant arc is seriously genius and doesn't need to hide behind any of the great "western" novels. The storytelling, buildup, religious and philosophical themes, existential metaphors, pure brilliance. I was shocked and amazed to see such a deep story in form of still action shounen.

Yea, he really tried to make Baki above mere relationships and not taking Jr. serious which backfired a bit. I also liked the build up of Jr. All his struggles just to get annihilated in a second which is not the worst storytelling honestly to make Baki badass.

The Prickle storyline is ridiculous. He's well hung, more beast than men, does what he wants, still a bit the "noble savage". It's so wrong on so many levels. Quite refreshing.

Say what you want about Itagaki, but he's clearly very talented. Great combination of art and ideas; exceeding in both story telling and drawing being the hardest thin g to do as a mangaka, since it requires possessing two altogether different talents.

... And speaking about excelling in both: Togashi! The brilliance is already shown in, say, Gon vs Hanzo, the car ride with Crollo, and really the Phantom Trope as such. But Togashi has had a love for the anti-climactic ever since the YuYu end tournament, if not earlier, and therefore always cut himself off when it starts to get good. Not so with the Chimera ant-arc, however! As you say, pure brilliance. He creates first a collection of repulsive monster antagonists, only to make them, and then even the worst of them, highly sympathetic, having us root and grieve for them. And since he for once actually decided to follow trough, we get to see the character arcs drawn to their conclusion; and by god, every single last one of them is so good, even the characters of smallest importance getting highly satisyfining, even profound, endings. I absolutely loved the chapter when they travel in the caravan. Also, Mereum's enlightenment is wonderful, something of the very best ever done in manga, and it greatly impacted me when I read it in my teens.

Thanks. I will give Kyousougiga a shot. Yeah I was kinda over MHA too since like season 3. Idk just needed something to watch. I did like the first season of spy x family though. And yeah I have watched hunter x hunter. Undoubtedly a top 3 all time anime.
I checked and the newest demon slayer is out too, so I’m gonna watch that after I watch a recap video on YouTube. I don’t really remember anime’s anymore, probably partially because I binge them.

I did also hear about 5 cm per second and weathering with you. I plan to watch those eventually. The genre isn’t always my thing but when I’m in the mood I can really enjoy it

anyways thanks!

Thanks. I will give Kyousougiga a shot. Yeah I was kinda over MHA too since like season 3. Idk just needed something to watch. I did like the first season of spy x family though. And yeah I have watched hunter x hunter. Undoubtedly a top 3 all time anime.
I checked and the newest demon slayer is out too, so I’m gonna watch that after I watch a recap video on YouTube. I don’t really remember anime’s anymore, probably partially because I binge them.

I did also hear about 5 cm per second and weathering with you. I plan to watch those eventually. The genre isn’t always my thing but when I’m in the mood I can really enjoy it

anyways thanks!
MHA is lame
demon slayer is nice to binge
spy x family is ok to binge, I believe I'm a season behind but once I catch up with work, going for that
baki is an easy one to watch and a new season is coming, not too many episodes

hxh is a long time ago right? feels like a decade ago

anyways thanks!

Hope you enjoy it. It's not the greatest thing ever made, and it might due to mostly idiosyncratic reasons, but I always just found it so very charming.

Demon Slayer is nice. Any shounen immediately becomes better by being written by a woman, since we then get rid of power-level autism and also get sensible social interactions. The art in the manga, while having a sort of its own charm, is however subpar; which is no problem whatsoever with the anime, as you surely know. Also didn't drag on forever, as most shounen, to their detriment, tend to do. On that note, Silver Spoon is really good, made by the woman who wrote FMA, being a slice of life about high school students studying agriculture. It's not epic in any way like FMA, but I actually enjoy it more. A bigger time investment however.

If you like Kyousougiga, another anime I feel strongly towards is Uchouten Kazoku, being alike in its qualities, and maybe even a better recommendation. Both are all in all rather lighthearted, but also not without depth, possessing moments of rather serious nature. Furthermore, they are great showcases of certain specific parts of Japanese culture, which I find very charming. It's by the same writer that wrote Tatami Galaxy, if you ever either watched or heard of it; but better, in my opinion.

Just thought y’all might like this pic I made.

After that strike Baki saw Sagat’s true form; a Ferocious Fighting Tiger.

f5DAByi.jpg

Also the animation on the New Baki season looks a little off but still a good season. Orge would have fucked up Pickle.

Hope you enjoy it. It's not the greatest thing ever made, and it might due to mostly idiosyncratic reasons, but I always just found it so very charming.

Demon Slayer is nice. Any shounen immediately becomes better by being written by a woman, since we then get rid of power-level autism and also get sensible social interactions. The art in the manga, while having a sort of its own charm, is however subpar; which is no problem whatsoever with the anime, as you surely know. Also didn't drag on forever, as most shounen, to their detriment, tend to do. On that note, Silver Spoon is really good, made by the woman who wrote FMA, being a slice of life about high school students studying agriculture. It's not epic in any way like FMA, but I actually enjoy it more. A bigger time investment however.

If you like Kyousougiga, another anime I feel strongly towards is Uchouten Kazoku, being alike in its qualities, and maybe even a better recommendation. Both are all in all rather lighthearted, but also not without depth, possessing moments of rather serious nature. Furthermore, they are great showcases of certain specific parts of Japanese culture, which I find very charming. It's by the same writer that wrote Tatami Galaxy, if you ever either watched or heard of it; but better, in my opinion.
Cool I gave Tatami galaxy a try a year or two ago but couldn’t get into it. To be fair it was like 20 minutes into the first episode and I was high as shit. I’ll give it another try sometime around. I also didn’t know demon slayer was written by a woman

Baki is awesome. It is hilariously entertaining.

who is your fav fighter? I love the Orge but Other than him, I like Hanayma and Doppa the best.

hanayma is a pure gangster who is just a brute of a fighter
pdm4cgvlaaaa.jpg

And Dorlen is the definition of a fighter and understands there is nothing else but life or death in a fight. No rules or imagination of Honor, just the guy that walks away.

xh3aajamp7n41.jpg

Back