The Answer To Weight Cutting (Why hydration tests suck).

Mr.Pickles

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score

Ok, so this video by MMA on Point does a good job at explaining why the hydration tests are terrible and how they can easily be fooled. It just amazes me that OneFC didn’t at least do unofficial weigh ins before the fight to make sure that these tests are doing what they were supposed to be doing.

Personally, I feel that if a fighter wants to fight dehydrated – that is his choice, but he should be within the weight limit once he enters the cage. I don’t think many fighters are going to dehydrate if they can’t gain a benefit from it. Fighters tend to want to have every advantage possible and fighting dehydrated without a weight advantage is a huge disadvantage. My big problem is when fighters HAVE to dehydrate to be competitive.

Just shitcan the whole system and go with height classes instead

It's been a known fact how to cheat hydration test for decades now in wrestling. Westling also does weight checks during the year to make sure you don't cut as much which are much harder to cheat

Already a thread on this in UFC discussion,but might as well have one here, since it’s about ONE.

just amazes me that OneFC didn’t at least do unofficial weigh ins before the fight to make sure that these tests are doing what they were supposed to be doing.
They’ve released fight day weigh ins before. I remember Tiffany Teo’s last fight showed her to have gained around 15% of body weight post weigh ins.

Fuck yeah, We've all been waiting for Brock Lesnar vs Correy Hill and Kendall Grove vs Travis Browne!
Max Holloway always jokingly called out Daniel Cormier in his interviews, now with height classes it can really happen!

Back