The art of fighting is based on Fighting IQ (Intelligence)

dragonsfly

----------------------------
Banned
Reaction score
What sets apart the absolute elite from the lower ranked elite is fighting IQ and what sets apart the lower ranked elites from the journeymen is also fighting IQ and what sets apart the journeymen from the can's is fighting IQ.

You can have any physically fit 155'er, 170'er or 205'er who is athletically gifted and tough fight at these divisions it dosen't mean he turns into a kicking ass machine no not at all.

Fighting is about decision making this is what sets a part the top from the lower tops. The one who has the highest fighting IQ always makes the best decisions inside the octagon.

The absolute high IQ people don't venture into MMA but if they did we would probably have GOATs we have never seen before. The fighter with the highest fighting IQ would find ways to solve his opponents where they become his prey and he becomes the predator where the outcome always becomes the same which is a WIN for him or her.

Alot of people disregard point-fighting but I find it to be a smart way to figure out a fighter who has little holes in his fighting style. Fighters who are very difficult to beat if it reaches to the judges are Jones and GSP they are happy enough to outpoint you and don't get over-worked getting the finish or not as long as they are scoring. operating on simple gameplans such as stepping out and in of range hit hit hit flee, circle around than return again where you concede as little as possible to your opponent. Elusiveness is key or being able to dodge, avoid and you can achieve that with good footwork. Footwork is everything when it comes to decision making and where you need to be and where to not be on different timings this is key

Last edited:
Interesting views. But I didn't see you mentioning experience.and coaching. I think fight iq on some level will surpass experience, but you could also name it talent. Or perhaps a fighter simply trained harder then any other fighter and so he's better. Started younger ect ect.

Because what happens when you take a guy with shit loads of fight iq but andzero ring /cage experience , and pair him with let's say an ammy boxer with 40 bouts under his belt. No need to argue about the outcome.

Fight iq can and must be developed over time with experience. A fight has so many factors that come to play , both physical and mental.

Also you don't mention training coaching ect. People really underrate the importance of the corner. A good corner is like 8 eyes who observe , a bad one ..well
... Look at iron Mike, was that succes all about fight iq ? His fight iq ? Or his team's? And if so why he didn't used it when he came back and got jabbed into oblivion ? So many questions..

It's not just fighter IQ, it's all prepped with coaches beforehand with multiple scenarios covered, these guys aren't just making stuff up on the fly most of the time.

It's also the ability to listen to what the corner is telling them and execute.

Then explain why Jones is a good fighter yet is about as stupid as you can get

High IQ for fight aptitude is like high physical gift aptitude. Some guys will be born with amazing gifts, but if they don't develop them, they will be another "CAN", but couldn't.

There are guys who can KO anyone in the world, but can't stop a takedown or understand striking defense and vice versa, a guy who should GET IT in MMA, but doesn't like getting hit, or training.

COMPETITION in general, takes so much more than physical and technical skills. There's a lot of emotional skills that plain "tough guys" can and have done very well against others who have higher technical and physical skills, but lack their own emotional skills

What sets apart the absolute elite from the lower ranked elite is fighting IQ and what sets apart the lower ranked elites from the journeymen is also fighting IQ and what sets apart the journeymen from the can's is fighting IQ.

You can have any physically fit 155'er, 170'er or 205'er who is athletically gifted and tough fight at these divisions it dosen't mean he turns into a kicking ass machine no not at all.

Fighting is about decision making this is what sets a part the top from the lower tops. The one who has the highest fighting IQ always makes the best decisions inside the octagon.

The absolute high IQ people don't venture into MMA but if they did we would probably have GOATs we have never seen before. The fighter with the highest fighting IQ would find ways to solve his opponents where they become his prey and he becomes the predator where the outcome always becomes the same which is a WIN for him or her.

Alot of people disregard point-fighting but I find it to be a smart way to figure out a fighter who has little holes in his fighting style. Fighters who are very difficult to beat if it reaches to the judges are Jones and GSP they are happy enough to outpoint you and don't get over-worked getting the finish or not as long as they are scoring. operating on simple gameplans such as stepping out and in of range hit hit hit flee, circle around than return again where you concede as little as possible to your opponent. Elusiveness is key or being able to dodge, avoid and you can achieve that with good footwork. Footwork is everything when it comes to decision making and where you need to be and where to not be on different timings this is key

I've seen doctors, lawyers,and even training judges who are stupid in battle IQ.

I've seen doctors, lawyers, and even training judges who are stupid in battle IQ.

Askren is probably 100 times smarter than Masvidal,but his fighting IQ is dumb.

giphy.gif

Masvidal is stupid in real life,and can barely form a sentence that makes sense.

but he is a battle genius.

Fighting is Instinct, your test score doesn't help you destroy another man.

Smart people are Nerds, they are the weakest in a real fight.

I've seen doctors, lawyers,and even training judges who are stupid in battle IQ.

I've seen doctors, lawyers, and even training judges who are stupid in battle IQ.

giphy.gif

Masvidal is stupid in real life,and can barely form a sentence that makes sense.

Lol...what?

Not according to MMA. Coach, corner & sparring w heavies all make-a-more.<JonesDXSuckIt>

Action over theory any time. An analytical mind and patient attitude can make anyone great at any skill, but sport involves instinct, you can't think your way to fast reaction times

So what you're trying to say is half of this game is 90% mental?

20140413030642_IMG_5067.JPG

giphy.gif

Masival has 13 losses. The hype is getting unreal lol "battle genius"

Jones now 10 years is fighting IQ GOAT in octagon

Back