Economy The collapse of downtown Los Angeles

Eric Silva 2.0

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Here is a video showing what downtown Los Angeles looks like now.

"A severe business exodus from downtown Los Angeles is accelerating day by day........but after 2020 the area began to experience an economic and social decline to the point of complete collapse."

Is this what a healthy economy is supposed to look like?

April 26th, 1992 there was a riot on the streets tell me where were you?
I don't remember exactly. Underneath the video it said the area was much different before 2020. Some people are calling this the "retail apocalypse". It's happening all over in most of the big cities. It's not as bad or isn't happening as quickly in other places.

Is this what a healthy economy is supposed to look like?
He's walking through Skid Row and essentially the Flower and Fashion district. Both have looked like this in recent decades, those parts of town clear out by 5 or 6 every day and it's a commercial area with very few restaurants. (I'm sure you can figure out why the Flower District isn't bustling during day time).

This isn't to say there isn't problems or a need to revitalize the area. But Covid and the past few years weren't the cause. This area has never bene a retail-heavy part of LA.

That looks awful. High crime levels, with a lack of prosecution of criminals, as seen in LA will reunion businesses.

I wonder what is democrats excuse for this. Serious question btw i'm not bashing anyone

He's walking through Skid Row and essentially the Flower and Fashion district. Both have looked like this in recent decades, those parts of town clear out by 5 or 6 every day and it's a commercial area with very few restaurants. (I'm sure you can figure out why the Flower District isn't bustling during day time).

This isn't to say there isn't problems or a need to revitalize the area. But Covid and the past few years weren't the cause. This area has never bene a retail-heavy part of LA.
I'm not from LA. The guy who made the video says since 2020, downtown LA has seen a retail exodus. Are you saying this hasn't happened? The guy who made the video is Metal Leo on youtube. You can look up the video there and see his description below the video.

This is Gavin Newsome's long term plan for California, gentrification on a state wide scale, turn the entire coast into a massive lawless wasteland and wait until the people are begging for salvation and then him and his handler elites can own it all and rebuild it into their beautiful freedomless authoritarian paradise
Checkmate

To be fair ever since I was a kid DTLA has been a shit hole. It had a mini renaissance when they built the Staples Center, but let's be serious there's no reason to go to that area unless you're forced to work there or unless the Lakers/Kings/and soon to be gone Clippers are playing, or something is happening at the Convention Center. Staples Center/Crypto.com Arena is a second rate music venue to the point people would rather play the old ass Forum instead. DTLA is filthy, full of homeless, drug addicts, dilapidated buildings, the public transportation is sketchy, and quite frankly isn't that interesting compared to other major cities and is ugly AF.

I'm not from LA. The guy who made the video says since 2020, downtown LA has seen a retail exodus. Are you saying this hasn't happened? The guy who made the video is Metal Leo on youtube. You can look up the video there and see his description below the video.
I know, I used to work near the area he is walking through. Downtown LA has seen setbacks, but it's important to understand the area is huge and different parts have vastly different situations.

Chinatown, for example, has been hard hit because the older folks and businesses are dying out but millennials and Gen Z have not filled that void yet.

As I mentioned, the Flower and Fashion districts have never been bustling retail areas. Both are geared toward wholesale, with few consumer-facing shops or residential areas. (The Flower District is where florists go at 5 or 6 in the morning). North of the area has gentrified some (for example, Smorgasbord is there), as has the area West of Skid Row.

The part you're also missing here is Skid Row isn't an accident, it was a spot LA decided to shove all of its homeless people in with the obvious effects that has on the surrounding area.

Back