The debate over how fights are judged is closer than you may think...

Leah Smith

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
1,000 fight fans were recently asked if UFC match ups should be judged as individual rounds or on the fight as a whole.

The results were closer than you may think.

Individual Rounds - 50.2%

Fight as a Whole - 49.8%

Is there an arguement for how we currently judge fights to be changed?
Could we ever see fight judging change in the UFC?
Are you for a change, or against it?

Link to the poll. You can't just be saying that as a fact.

fuck yeah it needs to be fixed. It was literally taken from a sport that only allows punching. One huge start would be the addition of 10/10 rounds. The 10 point must system is outdated in genreal and NEVER was good for MMA.

To answer the question i want the fight to be judged as a whole. I dont think you should win or even get a tie if you squeak out two rounds than get your ass beat in another round.

I also think better judges and possibly more judges (not fully sold on more) ,5 in stead of 3 could really help with some of these robberies.

Part of the issue here is the judges many times dont know what are they watching...some are boxing judges that are thrown to judge on MMA by the AC's, not exactly judging by round being the issue.

10-point must is dumb and archaic. PRIDE had it right with the 10-minute first round, 5-minute second round, and judging the fight as a whole prioritizing effort to finish and damage above silly things like "octagon control" that no one can actually define.

Fight should 100% be judged as a whole

So winning the 5th round would or wouldn't lead you to win the fight?

"Judging the fight as a whole" is pretty much what's done by scoring rounds.

As a whole and damage should be the #1 thing they look at. I also think fighters should be losing points for trying to stall the action for too long. If you keep clinching and trying to take your opponent down with no success you shouldn't get points for that shit. Same goes for people that take people down but can't pass guard or land any significant ground and pound.

So winning the 5th round would or wouldn't lead you to win the fight?

"Judging the fight as a whole" is pretty much what's done by scoring rounds.
Not really man. The first 3 rds could be extremely close then the next 2 could be dominant for the one fighter. If the judges decide neither of those last 2 rds were worthy of a 10-8 the other dude could end up winning.

The only problem with judging the fight as a whole is that the guy who finishes stronger will be more likely to win even if he lost the first 2/3 of the fight

No finish, no win and therefor no need for judges is the only way to go.
Anything else is an insult to the sport and the fighters.
Judges will always get it wrong for the simple reason that it's not possible for any human to be objective.
Our decisions are always based on how something makes us feel rather then on facts and that is something that cannot be turned off.
Just get rid of judges and the sport will be real and untainted again.

I feel like with a proper use of 10-8 and 10-10 rounds, that you will almost always get the same result as if you scored it as a whole. It's only when unequal 10-9 rounds come into play where people feel like the fight should have been judged as a whole for a better decision.

MMAglobal. There's an authoritative body with some teeth.

LOL!!! 800 votes. What? This is definitely credible. I need to go make a post on Sherdog to share this critical info!!!

LOL!!! 800 votes. What? This is definitely credible. I need to go make a post on Sherdog to share this critical info!!!

It was posted less than a day ago. It's more or less even. What's your point?

MMAglobal. There's an authoritative body with some teeth.

Nothing wrong with them - They post MMA related content. Pics/ Vids/ Tweets etc. This isn't a journalism related thing. No credibility required. They've asked a Q.. People have answered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back