The different types of low kicks?

Krasiva

White Belt
Reaction score
I was taught a traditional Thai style low kick, but I was shown a low kick branded "Euro" style in which you first raise your knee up and swing from top to bottom, in a diagonal sort of hack a tree with an axe...

Since it's called a "Euro" style I assume it came from Dutch MT, and the original Thais must have used this type of low kick as there's no way the Dutch came up with it first.

I was trying to look at some Gokhan Saki vids but it's kind of hard to spot and pause because he kicks very rapidly and it's hard to spot it...

Does anyone know fighters who use this type of low kick style? Is there a reason why more fighters don't use this type of low kick, as it seems that most just use the traditional Thai style?

I was taught a traditional Thai style low kick, but I was shown a low kick branded "Euro" style in which you first raise your knee up and swing from top to bottom, in a diagonal sort of hack a tree with an axe...

Kind of reminds me of a Brazillian kick.

I think Earnesto Hoost does that in his left jab, right cross, left hook to the body, right kick to the leg combo:

YouTube - Ernesto Hoost - Low Kicks Highlight

Or maybe it's really the brazillian kick:

YouTube - Glaube Feitosa Highlights

It's very possible that the Europeans or maybe just the Dutch are the originators of this kick. Especially the Dutch heavyweights. I mean, if you're 6'3+, chances are you have to kick lower when you fight smaller opponents such as Mark Hunt, Ray Sefo, etc.

Hope that helps.

Kind of reminds me of a Brazillian kick.

I think Earnesto Hoost does that in his left jab, right cross, left hook to the body, right kick to the leg combo:

YouTube - Ernesto Hoost - Low Kicks Highlight

Or maybe it's really the brazillian kick:

YouTube - Glaube Feitosa Highlights

It's very possible that the Europeans or maybe just the Dutch are the originators of this kick. Especially the Dutch heavyweights. I mean, if you're 6'3+, chances are you have to kick lower when you fight smaller opponents such as Mark Hunt, Ray Sefo, etc.

Hope that helps.

shit... i was just gona make a similar post.. :)

I was taught it as a downward low kick or downward leg kick. Chamber high and drop weight as you chop through....

I assume thats what your thinking of??

Brawler B - that sounds right but its prolly better if we get GIFs or vids of it..

It is not a Brazilian kick

Back