The (DYEL Status) Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no experience with the Texas Method, so I can't really comment.

Not finishing workouts and skipping lifting days because you feel a little sick is an excuse to me, so maybe we're arguing semantics.

Not finishing workouts and skipping lifting days because you feel a little sick is an excuse to me, so maybe we're arguing semantics.

You are like the Jim Harbaugh of lifting. Very passionate and dedicated, yet somewhat overbearing and annoying.

Thats not meant as a shot, as Im actually quite a fan of Jim Harbaugh. You gotta understand that almost all of do this recreationally and our circumstances all very. I have a 2 month old that I have to get up with at least once a night. I still get in my 3 lifts a week at anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Is that an excuse? No. Its just difficult to lift extensively without getting a full 8 hours of continuous sleep.

Also, I know I have a lot less to worry about in life than most, at this point, but no one pays me to lift. I do it for fun and because I truly enjoy lifting.

I just MAKE the time.

I wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting in 2.5 hours of lifting any weekday. To be fair, I'd have no desire to anyhow.

Making the time is harder than the lifting. That had always been my issue until recently. If only I had been this dedicated in my early twenties. I guess the one positive to come from it is I will absolutely teach my children about time management and dedication to achieving a goal.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by JudoChop!

I think if Dan cuts those flowing locks he will find the strength to add some more volume.

I always seem to manage to put in 2 hours regardless of what's going on. Been lucky so far I guess

Also, I know I have a lot less to worry about in life than most, at this point, but no one pays me to lift. I do it for fun and because I truly enjoy lifting.

I just MAKE the time.

I have a very inconvenient work schedule and two kids. I lift at a 24hr gym to make the most of my time and adjust my sleep to accommodate everything else.

It requires some planning and some stress, but it's something that requires a lot of consistency. Without consistency comes stagnation.

It's one of those things you hear from anyone in fitness or even on the biggest loser or Dr. Phil, no one is going to make sure you do it, you need to do it. It's for you. I put my family pretty high on my list of priorities, but I refuse to go through life being fat and weak.

Sometimes you just need a push.

In addition to the above, I found it easy to eat out because it saved time. I quit that and started making more food myself.

It's no different than a process change at work. People will say the old way is better, but they don't ask "why?". "Why" did it change? Sometimes figuring out the why will put everything else in perspective.

I acknowledge that I could be a much better lifter if I made more time. I could probably join a cheap gym too that had other equipment for more assistance. I could probably go out and find a weightlifting partner too. For me, lifting has always just been a recreational hobby or escape. Gains have slowed big time, but honestly, I don't really give a fuck. If I hit a few PRs, I don't care. Maybe at some point I'll feel differently, but I doubt it.

I'm the same way with other hobbies like guitar and golf. I've been playing guitar for 17+ years now. Am I as good of a guitar player as others who have been playing that long? Doubt it. I have no desire to practice theory or technique daily and haven't had that desire for years. Being competent enough to write songs is all I care about. That's what I have fun doing. With golf, I don't go to the range hardly at all. I practice putting and chipping before rounds, but that's about it. Do I still have fun playing rounds? Absolutely, but I do realize practicing would make me a better golfer. I just don't enjoy it. Hobbies are supposed to be something you enjoy doing - an escape from work and the grind of daily life.

I have no experience with the Texas Method, so I can't really comment.

The original program uses 5x5 but I've had good success with 3x5 in the past. The gist of it is this:

Mon: 3x5, sets across
Wed: lighter day (the original program is 2x5 @ 80% of Monday's weight, I'm doing 5 sets of push-ups)
Fri: Work up to heavy singles, doubles, or triples, trying for PRs every week.

Instead I was thinking of doing 3x5 sets across @ 90% of Monday's weight on Friday. So basically a heavy/light/medium setup. So instead of doing 3-5 heavy reps I'll be doing 15 moderately heavy reps.

You're assuming that when I say that I'm cutting a workout short or missing a day it's because I have the sniffles and are using it as an excuse. That's definitely not the case.

I think if Dan cuts those flowing locks he will find the strength to add some more volume.

You're about 6 months behind the times. I cut my hair and trimmed my beard for a wedding back in September. I've let my beard get bushier but I've kept the hair fairly short. As I get older my hair is thinning and I realized it looks bad when it gets too long. RIP long flowing locks.

I was chatting to my mate about this the other day. He's always going on about having no time to train, so I'll say "make time, get up earlier, go to bed later..." etc etc.
He has two children one being quite young, though. Both he and his misses work full time, when she's in work he's home looking after the kids, doing the school run etc. Or he's in work and they reverse roles.

Damn, Im getting all riled up and inspired. I want to skip out on work and just go home and lift. Not gonna do it but I could. My work is very lenient about us making up time. Any who...I bailed on my Aussie Rules team this past summer and I need to redeem myself. When I first started playing in my early 20's I was fit as fuck. Fresh off playing soccer all my life. I tore shit up. Now Im way overweight compared to then. I flat out gotta lose a whole lotta fat so I can run again.

I used to be the fastest guy on the oval, and could run all day. Now I get tired thinking about running. Another issue is my like of lifting. Being big and bulky isnt necessarily the best thing for endurance based sports. I dont want to lose my gainz bros.

I did a squat workout with a fever once. I'm not saying I'd recommend it, but it can be done.

Not giving a fuck is cool too. But don't set lofty goals and pretend like you give a fuck if you don't. No need to lie to yourself.

I lifted with a fever and a sinus infection. I believe the pressure from squats helped to expel some of the infection, the sinus infection cleared up shortly after that.

/science

I did a squat workout with a fever once. I'm not saying I'd recommend it, but it can be done.

Thats like the Chris Rock joke...shit, you could drive your car with your feet if you want, that doest make it a good fucking idea! I lol'd hard at that bit.

People saying "I don't have time" probably mean "I don't want to make the time". All that means is that they won't put certain things ahead of lifting. I just said there isn't a chance in hell that I couldn't get 2.5 hours of lifting in, but I guess that's not 100% accurate. I could sacrifice an hour and a half of sleep, but I'm not going to do it.

Some people just have more desire to get better, and it shouldn't be shocking that they are the ones that have really good gains. This isn't just true with lifting, but really any activity. My boss used to skip lunch daily to putt for 45 minutes every day at the golf course. I cannot imagine doing that 5 days a week without going insane. That's why he shoots a 72 on a golf course while I shoot a 90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back