The fight Jon Jones should ask for

The Stipe fight doesn't make sense. Yes Jones will probably win, but other than that it doesn't do anything. I don't read here often and maybe it is already said many times, but there is an other fight that Jones could win and which has more value than defeating an old inactive fighter.

Alex Pereira is the same age as Jon Jones. Also has a big experience and won belts, and is the current champion of 'Jon Jones weightclass'. It would be champion vs champion of the two most heavy divisions, a fight both fighters would deserve and Alex already stated he wanted to go to heavyweight also. This would be a fight that would make sense now, instead of Stipe - Jones which would make sense 5 years ago.

I understand Jones doesn't want to fight Aspinal. It is a high risk low reward kind of fight in his eyes, because Aspinal is the younger and heavier fighter without having a big name yet. Jones should ask for Pereira, which is an easier fight for him and a bigger name. Jones would have a good chance to win and Alex would probably take it. Champ vs Champ, people would buy it and it would actually be interesting to see.
You are absolutely wrong. Whatever you think about Jones Stipe you absolutely will watch. He said he has nothing left to prove for himself. Why in sweet cooch would he take ANY other fight than the man that was the best HW of his era? Not the best current but of his era? Especially if it will sell. Like who even thinks like that on this Earth? It’s the last fight of my career let me get the toughest stylistic match up the fans that can’t stand me can think of? Yeah that’s the ticket. Do you think that’s how things work buddy?

Imagine if Stipe wins and shuts everybody calling him old up :D
<Moves><Moves>
giphy-downsized-large.gif

You are absolutely wrong. Whatever you think about Jones Stipe you absolutely will watch. He said he has nothing left to prove for himself. Why in sweet cooch would he take ANY other fight than the man that was the best HW of his era? Not the best current but of his era? Especially if it will sell. Like who even thinks like that on this Earth? It’s the last fight of my career let me get the toughest stylistic match up the fans that can’t stand me can think of? Yeah that’s the ticket. Do you think that’s how things work buddy?
I don't propose the 'toughest stylistic mach up', just one that is more interesting against an other current active fighter and champion of his age that also won already many fights and belts. Jones has a good chance to defeat Alex also, but at least is would be interesting. Stipe we didn't see for many years now and is basically retired at the age of 42.

Alex is an easier fight for Jones let's be honest stipe is much more well-rounded of a mixed martial artist than Alex all Jones would have to do is the same recipe he used against Gane
No I don't agree. Alex is an active fighter with some exceptional skills. Stipe hasn't won a fight in many years and is maybe the oldest fighter still in the UFC. Stipe should fight someone like JDS or Werdum but not for the belt anymore.

The Stipe fight doesn't make sense. Yes Jones will probably win, but other than that it doesn't do anything. I don't read here often and maybe it is already said many times, but there is an other fight that Jones could win and which has more value than defeating an old inactive fighter.

Alex Pereira is the same age as Jon Jones. Also has a big experience and won belts, and is the current champion of 'Jon Jones weightclass'. It would be champion vs champion of the two most heavy divisions, a fight both fighters would deserve and Alex already stated he wanted to go to heavyweight also. This would be a fight that would make sense now, instead of Stipe - Jones which would make sense 5 years ago.

I understand Jones doesn't want to fight Aspinal. It is a high risk low reward kind of fight in his eyes, because Aspinal is the younger and heavier fighter without having a big name yet. Jones should ask for Pereira, which is an easier fight for him and a bigger name. Jones would have a good chance to win and Alex would probably take it. Champ vs Champ, people would buy it and it would actually be interesting to see.

Fighting a jumped-up light heavyweight that was only recently a jumped-up middleweight? How on earth is that supposed to work for Jones' legacy strategies?

Jon's rep for LHW is secure, he doesn't have anything to gain by fighting the current champ of the division he was in two fights ago. He's trying to "prove" he can master Heavyweight. And that can only be done by defeating true, lifelong heavyweights...despite how many asterisks they trail into the octagon.

No I don't agree. Alex is an active fighter with some exceptional skills. Stipe hasn't won a fight in many years and is maybe the oldest fighter still in the UFC. Stipe should fight someone like JDS or Werdum but not for the belt anymore.

Are you saying he should go into bareknuckle fighting?

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 8.35.32 AM.jpg

Fighting a jumped-up light heavyweight that was only recently a jumped-up middleweight? How on earth is that supposed to work for Jones' legacy strategies?

Jon's rep for LHW is secure, he doesn't have anything to gain by fighting the current champ of the division he was in two fights ago. He's trying to "prove" he can master Heavyweight. And that can only be done by defeating true, lifelong heavyweights...despite how many asterisks they trail into the octagon.
Yes Stipe is an heavyweight, but how can Jones master heavyweight is he goes for an old inactive heavyweight. Maybe he thinks that many people will be interested, but it is just a waste of a fight for him.

A win over Stipe will age well on his record, he knows this and its one of main reasons he wants that fight. Jones puts Stipe on a much higher level than any of the other guy in his weight class in the UFC and so do all of us if we remove father time out of the equation. 20 years from now people won't look at Stipe age as much when looking over Jones record.

Yes Stipe is an heavyweight, but how can Jones master heavyweight is he goes for an old inactive heavyweight. Maybe he thinks that many people will be interested, but it is just a waste of a fight for him.

Which is why I put "prove" in quotes. It's obvious Jones is cherry-picking. But he's picking big cherries.

A win over Stipe will age well on his record, he knows this and its one of main reasons he wants that fight. Jones puts Stipe on a much higher level than any of the other guy in his weight class in the UFC and so do all of us if we remove father time out of the equation. 20 years from now people won't look at Stipe age as much when looking over Jones record.
Stipe is not a champ for a long time and his age will show. Those things will also be known. You don't think defeating an active champ from the same age will age better?

We all understand Jones doesn't want to risk a lot at this point. But he can have a good win against some relevant other champ or against an old irrelevant former champ that is basically retired already.

Lol why is everyone hating or writing off Stipe I don't understand it ... The guy was champion before Ngannou has beaten Ngannou.. D.C etc ..

Stipe isnt that much older then Jon... And this is HW where age doesnt mean as much as it does in other divisions as power is the last thing to go in a fighter ...

Seems like just Jones hate

41 and hasnt won a fight in 4 years. His last win over a fighter currently in the UFC was Arlovski 8 years ago.

41 and hasnt won a fight in 4 years. His last win over a fighter currently in the UFC was Arlovski 8 years ago.

Its also HW where Randy Couture came back after retiring in his 40s and beat the breaks off a guy whos taller then him by 6 inches and out weighed him by 40 pounds minimum... and younger

Last edited:
Its also HW where Randy Couture came back after retiring in his 40s and beat the breaks off a guy whos taller then him by 6 inches and out weighed him by 40 pounds minimum...

Couture's title shot didnt make sense either but he was only out for a year. We have an interim champion, which is literally the fight the champion is intended to face next. That's the entire reason the belt exists.

UFC should be renamed Ultimate Fighting Circus. Instead of unifying the heavyweight title, Jones will fight a 49 year old Stipe.

Maybe injured HW Jones vs not bulked up Pereira could be a bizarro 300 headliner.

JBJ is the GOAT and will beat anyone IMHO.

I dunno about the back and forth with Aspinall, but I think that fight would be at least competitive.
But i think JBJ would find a way to win. I think it (could) be close though, who knows.
Aspinall is legit, no doubt about that in my mind.

It's the most appealing fight to me as an MMA fan. I don't care about WMMA or manlets.

No way Pereira is a better name than Stipe.
Stipe was never the biggest name and now after being inactive for many years people claim it is a big name, while Pereira being an active fighter and champion isn't?

I just checked how much both names are being searched for on Google. Pereira has almost 2,5 times more people searching on his name than Stipe in the last month in the US.

Screenshot_2024-01-12-21-23-34-341~2.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-12-21-24-25-799~2.jpg

I'd love to see this but I think Jones would wrestlefuck the shit out of Periera...

Back