Movies THE FLASH (Biggest Flop in Warner Bros.' History; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen THE FLASH, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
No one's showing up for the redux because its not a redux. It's an underperforming Flash film that features Keaton's Batman.
just do an elseworlds batman beyond with keaton. solved.
i think alot of people including myself just want to watch this for keaton but will wait for a stream. cant be assd going the movies for another dc movie

dc1.jpg

*Writers room. Dimly lit. Smoke hangs out from endless cigarettes butts. Their embers burn through the shadows. Their is a heaviness in the room. One writer finally speaks.*

Writer 1: "Keaton decides to don the cowl one more time, for his biggest adventure ever. To rescue Cavil's Superman and help him save the world from Zod in an epic finale."

He'll even say this awesome line: "I'll help you get this "Superman". Then, you're on your own!"

*They all look at one another. The heaviness empties from the room. A light begins to break through the darkness. They all smile. Another writers speaks up.*

Writer 2: Ok. So no to Superman. No to Keaton saving the world. They both die.

*Everyone looks around. They smile again. Heads nod in agreement*

<45>

As far as the writing: I wasn't feeling the whole sloppy hermit and flip-flops angle either, but it quickly recovered once the predicament was laid out for him. You could practically see the interest wash over his face, got some nifty dialogue on the concept of space-time and the Bruce Wayne theory of how the multiverse works in yet another masterfully acted scene from Keaton. I also thought it was really cool and a nice ode to the character that his Batman was the most successful incarnation there ever was, he had completely eradicated crime in Gotham City like a true GOAT. And then once he suited up for the lash hurrah adventure, it was on. That's Batman.

dc1.jpg

<45>

As far as the writing: I wasn't feeling the whole sloppy hermit and flip-flops angle either, but it quickly recovered once the predicament was laid out for him. You could practically see the interest wash over his face, got some nifty dialogue on the concept of space-time and the Bruce Wayne theory of how the multiverse works in yet another masterfully acted scene from Keaton. I also thought it was really cool and a nice ode to the character that his Batman was the most successful incarnation there ever was, he had completely eradicated crime in Gotham City like a true GOAT. And then once he suited up for the lash hurrah adventure, it was on. That's Batman.

thats my batman.

in fairness, i cant remember the last thing i saw at the cinemas.
first thing ill see in a long time is Oppenhimer

dc1.jpg

<45>

It's a testament to Keaton and The Burtonverse that all you need are Elfman's horns and strings, Keaton's deep stare into the abyss and you already have a banger cooking.

I'm happy I have those three big moments in the film (Opening the armory, "I'll help you get this Superman - I'm Batman!" and the Batwing/Flying sequence) were all out geek out moments for me.

It's also frustrating though. You could have easily condensed the second act of the two Barrys, introduced Keaton 40 minutes into the film and given us a more intense third act where Keaton leads the Barry's to decide to double up the Speed Force to break the cycle and return the multiverses to their respective spaces. Everyone wins. Everyone looks like the hero they deserve to be.

I do not understand what point you are trying to make here.

1. Movie ticket sales revenue > internet trolling revenue
2. This illustrates the point that the potential for DC movie ticket sales is significant, so if you are dropping bombs like The Flash, you are really doing something wrong. Keaton's Batman is not what caused The Flash to bomb...

The Flash was dope though? Look at the poll results, the vast majority of Sherdoggers liked the movie. It's also an older crowd that lives vicariously through 1980s/90s culture and isn't the easiest to please. I want a Keaton Batman Beyond as much as anybody - I can't heap more praise on the dude than I already have ITT - I just understand why we aren't getting it.
Dope? 49 people have voted in this poll thus far, which is a lower than normal vote tally for a Sherdog poll, and the highest single vote option is "good" (not "dope"). This means few people are bothering with it, and that obviously has not a thing to do with Keaton. I personally thought the film was bad.

You sound like you're on WB's payroll.

Update: June 21, 2023

Kevin Smith, Writer for Scrapped SUPERMAN LIVES Film, Reacts to Finally Seeing His Vision in THE FLASH: “An Absolute Delight”

kevin-smith-nic-cage-superman-1477373752.jpg

Filmmaker Kevin Smith had a full circle moment when watching The Flash and seeing Nicolas Cage’s cameo as Superman.

During a recent interview with Rolling Stone, the director-producer-writer said he “just about passed out” when he first learned the actor was going to be making an appearance in the Andy Muschietti-directed film as the iconic superhero.

“I finally got to see Nic Cage be Superman,” Smith said. “It has been an absolute delight for me.”

It hits close for Smith because he initially penned several draft screenplays for the infamous 1998 film Superman Lives that never happened. Smith has been previously open about difficulties they faced with the film and production, including producer Jon Peters making several demands, such as Superman having to fight a giant spider. They two also disagreed on who should play the title role.

“Jon Peters was like, ‘I want Sean Penn to play Superman.’ He had just seen Dead Man Walking, and he goes, ‘Look at his eyes in that movie. He’s got the eyes of a violent animal, a caged killer,” he recalled. “And I was like, ‘Bro, it’s Superman!’ So he’s like, ‘Who do you see?’ I always loved Nic Cage, so I was like, ‘Nic Cage loves Superman. He talks about knowing the comics real well. You guys should go after Nic Cage.’ And so when Tim Burton got hired, and suddenly they were going with Nic Cage, I was like, wow, I had an idea and somebody took it seriously.”

Warner Bros. ended up calling off the movie just weeks before filming was set to begin due to creative differences. But fast-forward to 2023, Smith finally got to see the vision they once had come to life, when Cage appears during a scene in The Flash when Ezra Miller’s Barry Allen opens the multiverse to see the different universes. It’s at that point that Barry sees Cage as Superman fighting a giant spider.

After seeing that scene, Smith said it was “mind-melting,” adding, “One of the first things I thought when I saw it at the premiere is, ‘Goddammit, it [the giant spider] would have worked.’ As much as I used to make fun of Jon Peters, that looked badass.”

When asked if it can officially confirm he likes the spider now, Smith responded, “You know what? He [Peters] wasn’t wrong. Like, it totally could have panned out.”

The quick cameo also reminded the filmmaker of all the possibilities in the multiverse and that he’s still down to see Cage in the legendary supersuit.

“If I’m Warner Bros., I’m going, like, ‘Fuck it. There’s a multiverse, man. Let’s give Nic Cage a Superman movie,'” Smith added. “You don’t have to be the only Superman, but why not? We’ve got multiple Batmans. I mean, shit, it would be one of the most interesting Superman flicks ever made. With all due respect to James Gunn and Superman Legacy, like, you’re talking about one of the greatest American actors alive. I still would back that play 100 percent.”

Kevin Smith, Writer for Scrapped ‘Superman Lives’ Film, Reacts to Finally Seeing His Vision in ‘The Flash’: “An Absolute Delight”

All of of these recent bombs and bombs to be (Black Adam, Shazam 2, The Flash, Blue Beetle, Aquaman 2) were either in the can or deep into post-production when Gunn and Safran took the job last year. Superman: Legacy will be the foundation and jumpoff point for the new DCU in 2025.

It's just unfortunate timing that Keaton got involved when he did. There have been two major shakeups, both at Warner Bros and DC Studios, since he was approached. The biggest reason there isn't going to be a Batman Beyond is because the new Gunnverse DCU needs its own iteration of the role for the next 15 years when Keaton will be pushing 90 if he's still around, and Matt Reeves already has the Elseworlds Battinson with a sequel greenlit and into pre-production.

So they'd be wheeling out three (actually four) Batmans on film simultaneously? :confused: He is DC's most popular character and has been since eclipsing Superman in the 1980s with a far more brooding and dark re-characterization, but that would be bordering on excessive oversaturation. It's pure logic to shelve that vehicle, especially since Gen X and older Millenials didn't bother to show up at the cinema for Keaton Redux. Or maybe they did, and it's the younger crowd who wasn't having it. I'm not sure about the demographics tbh, other than it was skewing damn near 75% male.

Lol at giving Waller her own movie. That's Sony-levels of dumbassery.

Update: June 21, 2023

Kevin Smith, Writer for Scrapped SUPERMAN LIVES Film, Reacts to Finally Seeing His Vision in THE FLASH: “An Absolute Delight”

kevin-smith-nic-cage-superman-1477373752.jpg

Filmmaker Kevin Smith had a full circle moment when watching The Flash and seeing Nicolas Cage’s cameo as Superman.

During a recent interview with Rolling Stone, the director-producer-writer said he “just about passed out” when he first learned the actor was going to be making an appearance in the Andy Muschietti-directed film as the iconic superhero.

“I finally got to see Nic Cage be Superman,” Smith said. “It has been an absolute delight for me.”

It hits close for Smith because he initially penned several draft screenplays for the infamous 1998 film Superman Lives that never happened. Smith has been previously open about difficulties they faced with the film and production, including producer Jon Peters making several demands, such as Superman having to fight a giant spider. They two also disagreed on who should play the title role.

“Jon Peters was like, ‘I want Sean Penn to play Superman.’ He had just seen Dead Man Walking, and he goes, ‘Look at his eyes in that movie. He’s got the eyes of a violent animal, a caged killer,” he recalled. “And I was like, ‘Bro, it’s Superman!’ So he’s like, ‘Who do you see?’ I always loved Nic Cage, so I was like, ‘Nic Cage loves Superman. He talks about knowing the comics real well. You guys should go after Nic Cage.’ And so when Tim Burton got hired, and suddenly they were going with Nic Cage, I was like, wow, I had an idea and somebody took it seriously.”

Warner Bros. ended up calling off the movie just weeks before filming was set to begin due to creative differences. But fast-forward to 2023, Smith finally got to see the vision they once had come to life, when Cage appears during a scene in The Flash when Ezra Miller’s Barry Allen opens the multiverse to see the different universes. It’s at that point that Barry sees Cage as Superman fighting a giant spider.

After seeing that scene, Smith said it was “mind-melting,” adding, “One of the first things I thought when I saw it at the premiere is, ‘Goddammit, it [the giant spider] would have worked.’ As much as I used to make fun of Jon Peters, that looked badass.”

When asked if it can officially confirm he likes the spider now, Smith responded, “You know what? He [Peters] wasn’t wrong. Like, it totally could have panned out.”

The quick cameo also reminded the filmmaker of all the possibilities in the multiverse and that he’s still down to see Cage in the legendary supersuit.

“If I’m Warner Bros., I’m going, like, ‘Fuck it. There’s a multiverse, man. Let’s give Nic Cage a Superman movie,'” Smith added. “You don’t have to be the only Superman, but why not? We’ve got multiple Batmans. I mean, shit, it would be one of the most interesting Superman flicks ever made. With all due respect to James Gunn and Superman Legacy, like, you’re talking about one of the greatest American actors alive. I still would back that play 100 percent.”

Kevin Smith, Writer for Scrapped ‘Superman Lives’ Film, Reacts to Finally Seeing His Vision in ‘The Flash’: “An Absolute Delight”

The funny thing is Kevin Smith's stand-up bit about working on Superman Lives is what put the pre-production drama on the map.

I had no idea about 'Superman Lives' before that, and given the reaction to it on the internet is what lead to it being in The Flash.

I have no interest in seeing The Flash, except for seeing Nick Cage as Superman for the first... and only... time on screen.

Figure it'll eventually be uploaded to YouTube.

Lol at giving Waller her own movie. That's Sony-levels of dumbassery.
On paper, a Waller series seems stupid. But if we are being truly honest, when the Peacemaker series was announced back in 2020 (a year before The Suicide Squad came out), a lot of people also thought that it was a stupid show to greenlit. But Peacemaker turned out to be one of the best superhero live-action series we've seen. For me, Gunn is 6 out of 6 with his CBM projects where he is the writer or director (GotG trilogy, GotG Christmas Special, The Suicide Squad, Peacemaker). So I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he has an interesting pitch for Waller, I'm keeping an open mind.

The funny thing is Kevin Smith's stand-up bit about working on Superman Lives is what put the pre-production drama on the map.

I had no idea about 'Superman Lives' before that, and given the reaction to it on the internet is what lead to it being in The Flash.

I have no interest in seeing The Flash, except for seeing Nick Cage as Superman for the first... and only... time on screen.

Figure it'll eventually be uploaded to YouTube.
Yeah, Smith's narration of the Superman Lives production is one of the most entertaining and funniest behind-the-scenes Hollywood stories on YouTube.

Yeah, Smith's narration of the Superman Lives production is one of the most entertaining and funniest behind-the-scenes Hollywood stories on YouTube.

Ah..... the days of Kevin Smith being a man of the people, and not a Disney shill and corporate sell-out.

It seems like such a long time ago.

Gonna wait until it hits HBO Max or whatever. Ezra Miller off screen antics really killed the vibe for me. Jury is still out on John Major’s shenanigans too if they prove true.

Ah..... the days of Kevin Smith being a man of the people, and not a Disney shill and corporate sell-out.

It seems like such a long time ago.

I don’t think he’s a shill. He loves everything nerd related. I remember him liking shitty superhero movies when he first started his podcast. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him say anything bad about anything.

we’re more critical than he is.

Edit:

wanted to add, 2 of my friends and I went to a DVD Dogma signing in LA. Friend 1 asked him a question about Clerks that could’ve pissed off Smith. I can’t remember what he asked but it was a valid technical question and friend 1 was really curious. Smith answered it genuinely and explained it and wasn’t pissed at all. Friend 2 got pissed at Friend 1 for asking the question. They were arguing outside the store. Kevin Smith came out for a smoke break and saw them arguing. He told Friend 2 he wasn’t offended and it was a legit question. Thanked them for coming out.

Last edited:
I don’t think he’s a shill. He loves everything nerd related. I remember him liking shitty superhero movies when he first started his podcast. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him say anything bad about anything.

we’re more critical than he is.

He didn't like Navy Seals.

Back