Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score

WOMEN’S MMA
The Fortuitous Choices of Luana Santos
FacebookTwitterReddit0WhatsApp

CHRISTIAN STEIN AUG 9, 2023 COMMENTS

When Luana Santos was introduced to judo at the age of 8, no one could have known where it would lead. “My father signed me up,” she told Sherdog.com. “He wanted me to be in sports. He signed me and my brother up for judo since he had taken it as a child. I practiced from 8 until age 18. That’s when I earned my black belt.” From there, a series of fortunate events led Santos down an unlikely career path.

“I decided to migrate to MMA after watching a UFC card at a friend’s home in 2017,” she said. “I made an offhand remark that I wanted to fight MMA like Ronda Rousey. A friend of her father’s heard me and wanted to know if I was serious. I said I was curious, even though I wasn’t being serious.”

Soon after, Santos was taken to meet Helios Nogues Moyano—owner of the 011 MMA Team in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Her life was never the same.

“I had one training session, and I haven’t stopped,” Santos said. “I fell in love with the MMA world.”

Santos, now 23, has since emerged as one of the top prospects in Brazil. She will make her Ultimate Fighting Championship debut opposite “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 30 winner Juliana Miller as part of the UFC on ESPN 51 undercard this Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. A 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu rep, the 27-year-old Miller owns a 1-1 record inside the Octagon. She last appeared at UFC 286, where she wound up on the wrong side of a unanimous decision against Veronica Hardy on March 18.

“I did study Juliana by watching her fights,” Santos said. “I expect a hard fight. She has very good jiu-jitsu, and she’s a warrior on the feet. She’s not the type of fighter who gets hit and backs off. We did spot holes in her game, both in jiu-jitsu and striking. I expect I’ll bring better striking. It will be the beginning of the end for her.”

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/The-Fortuitous-Choices-of-Luana-Santos-190711

You had one job, TS .....

18660C94-5043-40D3-A7CD-80C89607057D.jpeg

b0e13a47a28d4be863703839727f2661

WOMEN’S MMA

When Luana Santos was introduced to judo at the age of 8, no one could have known where it would lead. “My father signed me up,” she told Sherdog.com. “He wanted me to be in sports. He signed me and my brother up for judo since he had taken it as a child. I practiced from 8 until age 18. That’s when I earned my black belt.” From there, a series of fortunate events led Santos down an unlikely career path.

“I decided to migrate to MMA after watching a UFC card at a friend’s home in 2017,” she said. “I made an offhand remark that I wanted to fight MMA like Ronda Rousey. A friend of her father’s heard me and wanted to know if I was serious. I said I was curious, even though I wasn’t being serious.”

Soon after, Santos was taken to meet Helios Nogues Moyano—owner of the 011 MMA Team in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Her life was never the same.

“I had one training session, and I haven’t stopped,” Santos said. “I fell in love with the MMA world.”

Santos, now 23, has since emerged as one of the top prospects in Brazil. She will make her Ultimate Fighting Championship debut opposite “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 30 winner Juliana Miller as part of the UFC on ESPN 51 undercard this Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. A 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu rep, the 27-year-old Miller owns a 1-1 record inside the Octagon. She last appeared at UFC 286, where she wound up on the wrong side of a unanimous decision against Veronica Hardy on March 18.

“I did study Juliana by watching her fights,” Santos said. “I expect a hard fight. She has very good jiu-jitsu, and she’s a warrior on the feet. She’s not the type of fighter who gets hit and backs off. We did spot holes in her game, both in jiu-jitsu and striking. I expect I’ll bring better striking. It will be the beginning of the end for her.”

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/The-Fortuitous-Choices-of-Luana-Santos-190711

Only read because at first glance I read Laura Sanko instead of Luana Santos

I expected Miller to beat Macedo/Hardy that had been out for 3 years. She lost 30-27. It’s hard to know with some of these newer girls what to expect. I had seen Miller in Invicta but not her TUF run. I expected a better performance from her. Or maybe I expected Hardy to look much worse.

The girls are slowly but surely getting better. Mostly still girls that got into TMA at a fairly young age. And started training mma later. But they are getting more rounded at younger ages now.

I’d like to see what the under 25 girls look like in about a decade. The rank and file will probably look much much better than they do right now. And most of the roster are more like about 30 years old right now. Not 23 - 25. Erin at 30 is a pretty scary thought. Even Maycee could look much better in 5 years. And Luana is only 23. She could be really good in 5 years too. I hope it’s a good fight with action that is not all on the feet or on the ground.

She must be pretty low level if they brought her in to fight Julianna Miller. She'll probably still whoop Miller though.

WOMEN’S MMA

Continue Reading

I really think that Judo, while obviously not as useful as, say, wrestling, can make for an excellent addition to MMA if used with discernment. I'm biased, because it's a popular sport here, and probably the first one I liked as a kid, with huge national stars ; nevertheless, I noticed that, for example, judo trips are often fan favorite moves during MMA fights, and they are also very energy efficient. The absence of gi is a big limiting factor though, but I still enjoy seeing judo trained fighters in MMA.

So, I wish her a good career !

Didn't read

these threads suck. You just copy paste shit. Ban yourself.

Back