The Great Flyweight Purge (Updated May 2019)

@jei
You can add add Moraga and Ortiz to the released list.. if not some more.

Said Nurmagomedov moved up to 135

@jei
You can add add Moraga and Ortiz to the released list.. if not some more.

Said Nurmagomedov moved up to 135
Thank you for the information. I had heard something about Cejudo getting messages that Moraga and Ortiz was released, but I was holding off on updating it. And good point, Said fought Ramos at BW.

Thank you for the information. I had heard something about Cejudo getting messages that Moraga and Ortiz was released, but I was holding off on updating it. And good point, Said fought Ramos at BW.
Oh yeah. Neither the UFC or Ortiz/Moraga made a formal statement.

Moraga is not on their website. Ortiz is. But I think UFC.com is ran by some interns so I would not put much weight on that lol.

Ok, thanks to some prompting and information from @SalvadorAllende, The Great Flyweight Purge has been massively updated.

thank god

ufc has too many fighters
too many cards

shit is only going to get worse with clueless wme and espn

At least we still have dog shows, er, I mean WMMA fights.

This thread will keep updated all of the UFC flyweights that are no longer on the roster, starting with the initial loss of former flyweight kingpin Demetrious Johnson. As the promotion has begun to let fighters in the division go, we will keep track and keep this thread updated as the news comes in. We will also keep track of flyweights that are moving up in weight to stay in the company.

Champ Henry Cejudo (14-2, 8-2 UFC) - Def. TJ Dillashaw for the FLW Belt at UFC 233
TJ Dillashaw
(16-4, 12-4 UFC) - Lost to Henry Cejudo for FLW Belt at UFC 233

Released
Ben Nguyen
(16-8, 4-3 UFC) - Released
Demetrious Johnson
(27-3-1, 15-2-1 UFC) - Released as part of a "trade" to ONE Championship
Dustin Ortiz
(19-8, 8-6 UFC) - Released
Hector Sandoval
(14-4, 2-2 UFC) - Released
Jarred Brooks
(14-2, 2-2 UFC) - Released
John Moraga (19-7, 8-6 UFC) - ReleasedJose "Shorty" Torres (8-1, 1-1 UFC) - Released
Justin Scoggins (11-5, 4-5 UFC) - Released after accepting short-notice fight at Bantamweight, lost at RIZIN FF 14 on NYE
Matheus Nicolau
(13-2-1, 3-1 UFC) - Released
Naoki Inoue
(11-1, 1-1 UFC) - Released
Roberto Sanchez
(8-2, 1-2 UFC) - Released
Yuta "Ulka" Sasaki
(21-6-2, 4-5 UFC) - Released, lost at Rizin FF 14 on NYE

Relocating
Joby Sanchez
(11-4, 1-4 UFC) - Moved to Bantamweight
Louis Smolka
(14-5, 5-5 UFC) - Moving to Bantamweight, facing Matt Schnell at UFC on ESPN+ 4
Mark De La Rosa (11-1, 2-1 UFC) - Moved to Bantamweight
Matt Schnell
(11-4, 2-2 UFC) - Moving to Bantamweight, facing Louis Smolka at UFC on ESPN+ 4
Ray Borg
(11-3, 5-3 UFC) - Moving to Bantamweight
Said Nurmagomedov (13-1, 2-0 UFC) - Moved to Bantamweight
Sergio Pettis
(17-4, 8-4 UFC) - Moved to Bantamweight
Tim Elliott
(15-8-1, 4-6 UFC) - Moved to Bantamweight

Upcoming Flyweight Bouts:
Kai Kara-France vs. Raulian Paiva
, UFC 234 in Melbourne on 2/4/19
Jussier Formiga vs. Deiveson Figueredo, UFC on ESPN+ 3 in Prague on 3/23/19

TBA
Alex Perez
(21-5, 3-1 UFC)- Lost by TKO to Joe Benavidez at the TUF 28 Finale on 11/30
Alexandre Pantoja (20-3, 4-1 UFC) - Won by R1 RNC over Yuta Sasaki at UFN 140 on 11/17
Ashkan Mokhtarian (13-3, 0-2 UFC) - Lost FOTN decision to Kai Kara-France at UFN 142 on 12/1
Brandon Moreno (14-5, 3-2 UFC) - Removed from rankings, status unknown
Deiveson Figueiredo (15-0, 4-0 UFC) - Fighting in March at FLW
Elias Garcia
(6-2, 0-2 UFC) - Lost FOTN decision to Kai Kara-France at UFN 142 on 12/1
Eric Shelton (12-5, 2-3 UFC) - Won split decision over Joseph Morales at UFN 139 on 11/10
Jordan Espinosa (13-5-0-1, 0-0 UFC)
Joseph Benavidez (27-5, 14-3 UFC) - Won unanimous decision over Dustin Ortiz at UFN 143 on 1/19/19
Joseph Morales (9-2, 1-2 UFC) - Lost split decision to Eric Shelton at UFN 139 on 11/10
Jussier Formiga (22-5, 8-4 UFC) - Fighting in March at FLW
Kai Kara-France
(18-7-0-1, 1-0 UFC) - Fighting in Feb at FLW
Magomed Bibulatov
(14-2, 1-2 UFC) - Lost unanimous decision to Rogerio Bontorin at UFN 144 on 2/2/19
Marco Beltran (9-6, 3-3 UFC)
Raulian Paiva (18-1, 0-0 UFC) - Fighting in Feb at FLW
Rogerio Bontorin
(15-1-0-1, 1-0 UFC) - Won unanimous decision over Magomed Bibulatov at UFN 144 on 2/2/19
Ryan Benoit (10-5, 3-3 UFC)
Wilson Reis (23-9, 7-5 UFC) - Won decision over Ben Nguyen at UFN 142 on 12/1

If you see another flyweight getting released or announcing a change in division, please post the information in the thread and we will credit you in this post. And if you want to trash on flyweights, you should take that elsewhere.

Damm this is potential for Order 66 memes. MM is Samuel L Jackson. Dana's the emperor and Askren looks like Hayden Christensen.

This thread is depressing I’m a fan of or enjoy watching a lot of these guys fight. Hope the UFC bring the division back soon and sign these guys again

<2>

This thread is depressing I’m a fan of or enjoy watching a lot of these guys fight. Hope the UFC bring the division back soon and sign these guys again

<2>

Unless Dana does one of his famous 180s I think it’s going to be gone for good. Or a long while at least.

28-36.jpg

Damm this is potential for Order 66 memes. MM is Samuel L Jackson. Dana's the emperor and Askren looks like Hayden Christensen.
So we can hope that one day, after turning to the dark side, Ben Askren will emerge and kill Dana White for us?

It has been confirmed, Brandon Moreno has been released.

Lot of changes to flyweight, we're down to fewer than 15 fighters now. The rankings are already outdated, but here's the list.

ufc flyweight rankings.png

Dana hugging Cejudo telling him everything will be fine.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Lot of changes to flyweight, we're down to fewer than 15 fighters now. The rankings are already outdated, but here's the list.

View attachment 589675

Tim Elliott has gone to BW

the rest is correct though, 12 flyweights currently on the roster.

Tim Elliott has gone to BW

the rest is correct though, 12 flyweights currently on the roster.
Not sure why Elliott is still ranked despite fighting last in December 2017 at bantamweight. Couldn't find anything on Ashkan Mokhtarian, Elias Garcia (both presumed released) and Ryan Benoit, despite multiple losses. Benoit is still ranked despite not fighting since Dec. 2017 as well.

Not sure why Elliott is still ranked despite fighting last in December 2017 at bantamweight. Couldn't find anything on Ashkan Mokhtarian, Elias Garcia (both presumed released) and Ryan Benoit, despite multiple losses. Benoit is still ranked despite not fighting since Dec. 2017 as well.

ok, here is rankings, zane simons list, and my list compared. Ive highlighted yellow where there is consensus by all three that they are at flyweight.

Ive also noted how many weeks since they were last tested by USADA

D7r1buaXsAUnwsE

the non yellows,

Elliot and Schnell moved to 135. UFC have them ranked at 125

Alex Perez, Zane has him moving to bantamweight, edit: I was going from Tapology, they had Perez v De La Rosa happening at 125. Wikipedia says it was at 135..

Mokhtarian, edit: last tested 28 weeks ago. so yeh, hes gone

as far as Benoit, tested by USADA last week, so at least at that point was still contracted.

Last edited:
Back