The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v3: iPhone / iPad / Android / WP8 / Blackberry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple has almost never been first to market with an idea or product. It rarely happens that Apple comes up with something entirely new.

Newton is the only 'new' thing I can think of by Apple and it was a failure. Apple's mass proliferation of the mouse, GUI, and PostScript/typesetting/WYSIWYG were huge.

Jobs tried to introduce 'new' things at NeXT and it failed commercially. Lucky for Apple they got NeXT for $400m and and jumped ahead 10 years from where they were as if Jobs had never left.

Apple's timing is very fucking good. I'm involved in new technology development and something that I think about constantly is the expression: "being early is like being wrong", and my extension to that: "being late is like being wrong".

/QUOTE]

Not going to address all of this. I've used computers and tech since the early 90's most tech sucked back then especially theirs. They had a solid operating system since the original coding was done so well but even that didn't last forever.

Notebooks - IBM did it better for years they are just dipshits when it comes to change. Thinkpad on 98? Oh shit.
Pmp - Creative, Sony, Cowon. The MP3 player market hardly had time to mature before they made their move but credit where it's due. They got everyone listening to inferior quality audio.
Mouse - Every computer professional I've had this conversation with still laughs at their mouse. And I don't mean bloggers with shaggy hair and non-prescription glasses.
Tablets - They already existed as ATMs and POS systems for years. The actual portable devices have existed in the Business world for years along with the PDA.

I find it hilarious that you say they put all this technology on the map for the average Joe when they have always been very expensive. Be honest, they have appealed to people's sense of vanity with their marketing.

I do understand that not everyone is not a tinkerer or a power user so I won't even rip them for how closed off and crippled their system is but do they really have to charge so much? Do they have to lie about being innovators and continue with all of the smug ads?

If we're going to talk about tech, I've been using computers and tech since the mid 80s, when I first discovered modems and BBSes.

You're a prime example of someone who doesn't know what he's talking about and certainly doesn't get that first to market with an idea has nothing to do with the first to market with that idea executed well. IOW, you totally miss the point and can't see the forest for the trees. You're that guy who who Bruce Lee smacks on the head for staring at the finger and not the moon.

Notebooks/laptops - I'm talking about the Powerbook first released in 1991. Who's talking about Thinkpads? The modern Thinkpad form factor came after the Powerbook 100 series. That was the first true modern laptop form factor.

PMP - Everyone talks about how XYZ had a media player out. Remember Commander Taco/Rob Malda's infamous review?

If we're going to talk about tech, I've been using computers and tech since the mid 80s, when I first discovered modems and BBSes.

You're a prime example of someone who doesn't know what he's talking about and certainly doesn't get that first to market with an idea has nothing to do with the first to market with that idea executed well. IOW, you totally miss the point and can't see the forest for the trees. You're that guy who who Bruce Lee smacks on the head for staring at the finger and not the moon.

Notebooks/laptops - I'm talking about the Powerbook first released in 1991. Who's talking about Thinkpads? The modern Thinkpad form factor came after the Powerbook 100 series. That was the first true modern laptop form factor.

PMP - Everyone talks about how XYZ had a media player out. Remember Commander Taco/Rob Malda's infamous review? “No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame.” What didn't he get then and what you get now about why the iPod made sense?

Mouse - Apple's insistence on the one button mouse doesn't make sense, but they did put GUIs and mouses on the map.

Tablets - You're so clueless here, it's hard to believe that we're even speaking the same language.

As for for price, no, they're not that much more expensive once you take into consideration the actual parts. Once you go spec for spec and factor in things like higher quality displays and trackpad materials, you're talking about a very small price premium.

Now, I understand that there's a certain portion of the population, such as yourself, who like to think they're "power users" or "tinkerers" when in reality, they've got just enough information to be dangerously embarrassing to themselves. While Apple systems have their flaws, there's a reason that they're held in high regard by scientists, academics and engineers (as in people with engineering degrees)

Doughbelly just saved me a bunch of typing.

I'll only add that ITTM also missed the mark by mentioning the PDA. Apple brought out the first PDA (Newton) unless you count the Simon - which I only saw once. Admittedly, it was an incredibly fwd thinking device but as usual IBM fumbled that whole thing away.

Re: thinkpad/tablets

I have owned 3 thinkpads and found Windoze tablet XP to be completely fucking useless. I've only seen one colleague try to use their thinkpad with the stylus and it was comical.

Newton is the only 'new' thing I can think of by Apple and it was a failure. Apple's mass proliferation of the mouse, GUI, and PostScript/typesetting/WYSIWYG were huge.

Being outside my field, I didn't even think about that.

Jobs tried to introduce 'new' things at NeXT and it failed commercially. Lucky for Apple they got NeXT for $400m and and jumped ahead 10 years from where they were as if Jobs had never left.

At least you bough into the winning team with NeXT. I was on that other raft of refugees and went BeOS before turning to Linux in the early 90s. Whenever I think about it, I still miss a lot of those features of BFS, especially the relational database-like filesystem with extensible metadata. Even the most advanced implementations of XFS and ZFS from SGI and Sun, respectively and contemporarily had nothing on the rdb-fs that Be had going then.

Apple's timing is very fucking good. I'm involved in new technology development and something that I think about constantly is the expression: "being early is like being wrong", and my extension to that: "being late is like being wrong".

Hadn't thought about it that way, but that's true, too.

I'm sure Mac Pros are used to chart outerspace exploration, to create ciphers, and to design the super maglev.

I'm also fully aware that first to market does not even imply an inventor.

I love how you were so smug in insisting that I'm missing the forest for the trees when I was simply attempting to communicate the obvious. They streamline existing tech and commission as per their wants. They don't make anything.

You're being disingenuous when it comes to pricing. Do I have to spec out similar machines for you? I'm sure I can find quality peripherals from the companies who actually manufacture them for Apple more inexpensively.

I never claimed to be a power user. I actually do everything I need(including running my two businesses) on the Android phone I'm typing to you on.

Sprint is offering a $50 all unlimited package for new iPhone 6 users. My contract with Verizon just ended, so I'm month to month now. I'm seriously tempted by this as it would save me almost $50 a month (and I even get a discount now).

I've never owned an Apple product, so I imagine I would have a pretty steep learning curve to switch. I wouldn't consider myself a "power user", but I have rooted my Galaxy S3 (although the root is kinda broke now that I have 4.4) in order to quarantine certain app privileges. Does Facebook take over an Apple phone just like it does an Android phone? Or does Apple wag its finger at Facebook and only give it certain information?

My original intention before that all came out was to wait till later this year for Android 5/L and get whatever the new Nexus device was with the base Android system. But, that doesn't save me money like a switch to Sprint/iPhone does.

Guy I work with has Sprint and said he hates it; they constantly drop calls. I've never, ever had a problem with Verizon's phone service, customer service or features. They offer everything I like. It's just expensive.

Sprint and T-mobile are going at each other with rate cuts and phone buyback deals. To counter Sprint's phone buyback T-Mobile is offering to top them by $50 starting 9/17 so you might want wait for that. Reception-wise they're about equal so I'd take whichever gives the best price for unlimited talk, text, and data. Keep in mind overages. From what I understand T-mobile doesn't charge overages so if you go over your allotment your data is throttled to 2G speeds, however for Sprint they'll charge you $$. This is a significant factor to consider.

Sprint and T-mobile are going at each other with rate cuts and phone buyback deals. To counter Sprint's phone buyback T-Mobile is offering to top them by $50 starting 9/17 so you might want wait for that. Reception-wise they're about equal so I'd take whichever gives the best price for unlimited talk, text, and data. Keep in mind overages. From what I understand T-mobile doesn't charge overages so if you go over your allotment your data is throttled to 2G speeds, however for Sprint they'll charge you $$. This is a significant factor to consider.

Not only that but T-mobile will allow you to roam for the $50 in other countries at 2G as part of the plan. When I travel, I add $50 for 4G for 14 days. Compare that to 2003 when I used to rent a world phone and once got nailed for $500 for 10 days. After that I picked up a cheap unlocked phones for Asia and Europe and just went pay as you go. Now it's even easier. I just use my Nexus when I go to Europe or Asia and it's the same price.

I must be missing something, since how would Sprint charge for overages if everything is unlimited? I guess I should do some research/googling...

Phone history (T-Mobile):
iPhone (AT&T)
iPhone 3 (AT&T)
HTC G1
HTC G2
HTC HD2
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy S5 (current)

Rooted and ran custom ROMs on all phones except the Galaxy S5. This thing is pretty beastly with the stock ROM. Had to get the right updates, as the previous version ran laggy as fuck.

The new iPhone 6 is nothing but a screen bump to catch up to the Android phones. As they caught up in screen size, they're still behind in screen resolution, performance, and customization. The only thing the iPhone has an advantage over the other smart phones is it's fast camera.

I must be missing something, since how would Sprint charge for overages if everything is unlimited? I guess I should do some research/googling...

Sorry, my mistake, for Sprint it's unlimited talk+text. Doesn't include data. For t-mobile it's unlimited talk, text and data but the data is throttled after a cap depending on the plan you purchased (e.g. 1gb, 3gb, 5gb, etc.)

Phone history (T-Mobile):
iPhone (AT&T)
iPhone 3 (AT&T)
HTC G1
HTC G2
HTC HD2
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy S5 (current)

Rooted and ran custom ROMs on all phones except the Galaxy S5. This thing is pretty beastly with the stock ROM. Had to get the right updates, as the previous version ran laggy as fuck.
It's slow down after a few months. That's how Touchwiz fails. It's really starting to disenfranchise people. I've had several friends bring their S5's to me because of this. I don't think any of them is going to buy a Samsung with their next purchase. The amount of bloat on the S5 is unbelievable. I remember people complaining about bloat on the S3. To quote Daspy: Top LEL.

I suspect you'll end up flashing an AOSP ROM.

It's slow down after a few months. That's how Touchwiz fails. It's really starting to disenfranchise people. I've had several friends bring their S5's to me because of this. I don't think any of them is going to buy a Samsung with their next purchase. The amount of bloat on the S5 is unbelievable. I remember people complaining about bloat on the S3. To quote Daspy: Top LEL.

Yeah, the first thing I usually do is get an alternative launcher.
I'm using the Nova Launcher now, it's better than Touchwiz by a lot.
Are there any custom ROMs worth checking out for the S5? I haven't been up to date with custom ROMs since my Galaxy S2.

When I converted my HTC one to a GPE (officially. Not a ROM) I was happy as a bee. No bloat, no crap. Just a straight experience. Which I like.

From here on out, any android based phone will be rooted and rimmed until I can achieve a full GPE or AOSP conversion.

Android ftw bitches.

I previously had a Nexus 5 and thought pure Android was best. I didn't bother rooting and all that.

Now I have a One Plus One with Cyanogenmod built in (no need for root). This is the best smartphone OS I have ever used.

All the benefits and smoothness of a Nexus, but much more. It's like a super Nexus (64 GB hard drive, much better battery).

I previously had a Nexus 5 and thought pure Android was best. I didn't bother rooting and all that.

Now I have a One Plus One with Cyanogenmod built in (no need for root). This is the best smartphone OS I have ever used.

All the benefits and smoothness of a Nexus, but much more. It's like a super Nexus (64 GB hard drive, much better battery).

I've had my Oneplus One for about a month. LOVE IT. I don't know how they are making money, but they have potential to reshape the entire landscape. What you get for the price is just astounding.

So I'm getting a new phone for the first time in nearly 3 years, and seeing as the Galaxy s5 is expensive as fucking hell I want to get a cool case to keep it from getting busted up.

I've looked around and most of the standard cases I've seen are plain/unappealing, so I decided I'd rather make a custom one and use an uploaded picture for a design (http://www.mycustomcase.com/). Only problem is.. I can't make up my mind on a cool enough picture!

Long story short, if any of you has any badass pictures you may have come across from browsing the interwebs (at least 950 x 950) please post them here! I've been scouring the internet (Google images/Stumbleupon/Deviantart/etc.) but I'm running out of things to search for.

you do realize that case will be a complete piece of shit and wont protect your phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back