The Haunting Of Hill House TV Series (Netflix)

Lights Out 101

Living Deliciously
@Black
Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread on this anywhere. Is anyone watching this show? I watched the first two episodes last night and it can get downright disturbing at times. The performances from the adults and children are phenomenal. I recommend you check it out if you like horror and family dramas.

100% on RT, 9.1 on IMDB.

Synopsis: Following a group of siblings who, as children, grew up in what would go on to become the most famous haunted house in the country as tragedy forces them -- now adults -- back to the house to confront the ghosts of the past.

IMG_1883.JPG

Last edited:
I watched the first episode.

I could tell it was great, but just not my thing.

I may come back to it.

Trailer looks pretty good. Is this based on those 2 movies 'House on Haunted HIll'?

Trailer looks pretty good. Is this based on those 2 movies 'House on Haunted HIll'?
What I’m wondering tbh.

I love the original with my man Vincent Price

Damn, the trailer looked a little iffy, but it seems to be getting some insane praise. I'll have to check it out. It'd be awesome to get a great horror series.

Damn, the trailer looked a little iffy, but it seems to be getting some insane praise. I'll have to check it out. It'd be awesome to get a great horror series.

I know what you mean by the trailer, I was little iffy on it myself. The show does incredible job of building suspense and dread though, and the pay off is executed very well. I'm only two episodes in,but so far so good.

Definitely going to watch this. Just not sure when. I have so many things I want to watch that I can't pick and I end up watching nothing.

I'm on episode 3. Its a little confusing at first but it is excellent so far

This show is really good. I’m about 7 episodes in and can’t stop now.

Finished episode 5 last night, that twist ending took me by surprise. I wonder what other fuckery they have in store. It really is a great horror series. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the bright glowing eyes bullshit they do sometimes, I don't find that scary.

@Dragonlordxxxxx were you planning to make a thread about this show?

Ever since I had my daughter I cannot watch horror..... especially it is involves kids.

I'm on episode 5. It's great so far.

Really good character development, really makes you care about the characters.

I'm getting some real deja vu in the younger brother's storyline. I think there's a really similar character in another horror movie but I can't place it.

The girl playing the younger sister is in the new Tarantino movie.

Just finished episode 2. Digging it so far. I'm not a horror buff, but this seemed interesting and has been good.

This show is really damn good. I like it more than pretty much any horror film released in the past 20 years

I watched the first episode, I actually thought the acting was bad but the show had potential.

I just finished Ozark season 2 and the dip in acting quality was immediately apparent.

Finished it up.

I'll stop short of calling it groundbreaking, but it is nonetheless one the freshest takes on the "Haunted House" genre I've seen in quite a while. Really great stuff, and some truly frightening and disturbing content that will stick with you. The people behind this show know how to build suspense and dread like few others. It is genuinely creepy at times, and will have you looking over your shoulder in dimly lit rooms and dark hallways long after the credits roll. It rarely goes for shock and cheap thrills, and it successfully makes the audience feel as nervous and tense, as the characters in the show hearing bumps in the night. This is minimalist horror done right, where what you can't see is more frightening than anything they could show you. When the show does make a reveal, its usually a well earned payoff to an excellent build up, and never ruins the immersion. The "horror" part of this show is aces.

That all said, and where it might turn some genre fans off, is that its equal parts a family drama, as it is a haunted house story. Where it differs itself from most that would try to flesh out a script with some dramatic padding, is that its all connected to the house. It can feel like an ordinary drama at times, but it never truly leaves the central figure of the show, which is the house. Its all tied together rather nicely.

If I had one complaint, its that the dialogue can get a little too expository at times. There are times in the show where characters will go on these long winded monologues,usually while having some kind of breakdown, that just explains way too much, and doesn't feel natural. They are good scenes for the actors to show their chops, but it can be a little much.

On the technical side of things, its all great. Acting, writing, directing, yada, yada, its all top notch stuff. Nothing to complain about on that front.

So yeah, this is a great series for anyone really. I think even non-genre fans could sit down and get into it. Its just so well done. Might be the sleeper hit of the year. I have a feeling the popularity of this show will pick up steam over time, as word spreads. Check it out.

9/10

One last thing, as I said, the show doesn't pull off too many cheap tricks, but I have to recognize one. There is this one jump scare they threw in there near the end(Ep 8 or 9 I think) that legitimately almost gave me a heart attack. If you've seen the whole show, I think you'll know which scene I'm talking about.

Back