the Hip bump sweep...

I’m black belt (but not high level) & I hit this sweep often, even against advanced folks. I hit it in a small comp last year:

Nice combination! Sometimes the most unpredictable thing is to be predictable... you showed him the demo tape version, then hit him with the polished remastered vinyl

you think so? I the move is pretty easy to hit. Especially these days because high level people aren’t as used to passing closed guard.

you can even attack the hip bump than switch to a sub and than immediately finish the hip bump all in one motion. It’s really underrated. But absolutely necessary for closed guard players.

realistically it’s the least muscle intensive way to create an off balance from that position

i do agree guys dont have very good defense today vs fundamental attacks hell guys dont even try t block cross faces now from hg or side

in the gi i find scissors sweep works better than hip bump no gi the hip bump works better due t not having sleeves collar t off balance for the scissors

Here's Uncle kpoz12 to show you how it's done

I see BBs hit it at IBJJFs every now and then but not too much.

Just made a video addressing the hip bump sweep and the Kimura. I think the hip bump is more important than the scissors sweep in teaching fundamental use of the hip movement

Keeping the feet crossed mitigates most of the risk associated with the passer preventing the sweep easily by passing the guard, stuffing your leg down, or jumping over your legs to take the back

hip bump is my go to . < not a black belt but its worked well for me with whites and blues.

realistically it’s the least muscle intensive way to create an off balance from that position

Not to be pedantic, but I think the flower sweep has that distinction. In gi, of course.

Not to be pedantic, but I think the flower sweep has that distinction. In gi, of course.

I think is the scissors sweep, the push version. In the push kick version where you open up your chest to get your back muscles into it, it's a very powerful sweep with almost no effort, that you can still power through an unwilling opponent.

The flower sweep is effortless but only with great timing (IMO).

Finally, IMO the scissors sweep, push kick version, is the most fundamental closed guard sweep. Why? Is not the scissors motion, it's the opening of the chest motion. This motion you'll use in guard retention all the time, whether to get up on your elbow and scoot away, or recovering side control, or preventing them from finalizing a guard pass.

You'd think so, but someone with proper back posture won't be budged by a flower sweep. I'm talking about the stupid simple but rare to see posture that you get from good solid fundamentals. You basically have to get them to slightly drop their chin and forehead. The only no gi move that I know that can make someone break that position is the sit up sweep. Even a half ass sit up sweep is enough to get them to adjust their neck. When they do that the flower sweep is possible.

IMO, sit up sweeps can break good posture. pendelum sweeps can't. Flower sweeps (grabbing the pant cloths) are even worse.

I'm talking about the stupid simple but rare to see posture that you get from good solid fundamentals. .
Triggered.

Great post. Breaking posture before initiating a sweep, any move really, is something people don't emphasize enough.

Are there any high level black belts who consistently catch this in matches? My wife finally decided to learn BJJ since she’s stuck in the house with me all day

This is one of the first techniques that I taught her and she seems to be honing in on it. Any suggestions on people (or matches) to watch are appreciated.

I love the hip bump. First sweep I ever learned and I catch good guys with still it on occasion.

The Kesting/Mullins “how to beat a bigger opponent 2” has a guard app that spends time on it and really added to my hip bump game.

It talks about getting it with a sleeve grab, getting the back, Kimora transition (an obvious one), transitioning to guillotine then triangle.

Also you tube “hip bump to triangle choke set up”.

Just made a video addressing the hip bump sweep and the Kimura. I think the hip bump is more important than the scissors sweep in teaching fundamental use of the hip movement

Keeping the feet crossed mitigates most of the risk associated with the passer preventing the sweep easily by passing the guard, stuffing your leg down, or jumping over your legs to take the back

Thanks for posting that, I really like the "keeping the feet crossed" detail. Will have to try this.

Thanks for posting that, I really like the "keeping the feet crossed" detail. Will have to try this.

yes, crossing the feet and keeping the guard closed is absolutely important against someone who is aware of the hip bump sweep coming, especially if the passer is quick. As they pull away of posture, your feet closed should not interfere with your situp. Many people have trouble sitting up with the feet crossed because they will often try to crunch straight up. Moving your hips out (shrimping) without opening your feet will do wonders for this.

Back