The Hot Ones Thread *LW #1 Contender Dustin Poirier appears on the show!*

who or what is Hot ones?
It's the YouTube show that has blown up so fast over the past few years that I'm seeing oblique references pop up everywhere (the most recent example was Ralph Wrecks the Internet). Usually these references are

What those who don't really know the show wrongly perceive is that the show is about watching people suffer. That's just a sideshow, and more subversively, a tactic Sean Evans uses to psychologically disarm his guests. He's the best casual celebrity interviewer alive right now. Small production team of six people. The questions he asks are infinitely more interesting than the ones you see on the Late Night shows, and the format favors it. Nobody will top Ricky Gervais's summary of the show, "It's a cross between Charlie Rose and Jackass."

Complex media is the parent media company that owns the First We Feast YouTube channel that produces the show (and is now owned by Verizon and Hearst media). It's very weird to see how this media company has grown because it was actually conceived as a really high-end, glossy magazine that catered to hip youth counterculture back when I was at school:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_(magazine)

Ironically the magazine is no longer in existence. It had incredibly high production value for a magazine: the quality of paper, the photos, and the printing were all as good as they come. It was on the cutting edge of the metrosexual boom at the time. Yet they stacked these things halfway to the ceiling at various newsstand depots around the university, for free, for the first several issues when it launched in 2002. Companies did that all the time in the city, and especially around the college campuses like ours.

I remember Axe use to throw their mini spray bottles like candy to the students on Broadway/Astor and in Union Square when they were first promoting themselves. They were pulling them out of garbage bags and giving us as many as we would take. That's one I remember because it lines Wal-Marts everywhere today. For every free product that got thrown at you on any given week that became 1/10th as successful as Axe there was nine others that I won't remember because nothing became of them. Print startups (magazines, tabloids, newspapers, joke mags) definitely pushed harder than any with students, understandably.

First We Feast is putting out some pretty cool culinary programming. Some of it feels like "sponsored content", so you probably aren't going to see any James Beard awards, but then there is stuff like the "Burger Show" if you missed my post in the Fast Food thread. I love learning about the history of cuisine including its regional evolution and styles before being shown simple recipes or ideas to demonstrate the style. This is one of the reasons America's Test Kitchen & BBQ with Franklin are among my favorite cooking shows.

Last edited:
How good is Gordon Ramsay as a chef? I have seen some of his shows and a few of him cooking. I'm curious though about his credentials and how he would compare to other chefs
He's third among living chefs with 16 Michelin Stars. And easily the most entertaining.

Wonder what expletives he'll use to describe Da Bomb.

It's the YouTube show that has blown up so fast over the past few years that I'm seeing oblique references pop up everywhere (the most recent example was Ralph Wrecks the Internet). Usually these references are

What those who don't really know the show wrongly perceive is that the show is about watching people suffer. That's just a sideshow, and more subversively, a tactic Sean Evans uses to psychologically disarm his guests. He's the best casual celebrity interviewer alive right now. Small production team of six people. The questions he asks are infinitely more interesting than the ones you see on the Late Night shows, and the format favors it. Nobody will top Ricky Gervais's summary of the show, "It's a cross between Charlie Rose and Jackass."

Complex media is the parent media company that owns the First We Feast YouTube channel that produces the show (and is now owned by Verizon and Hearst media). It's very weird to see how this media company has grown because it was actually conceived as a really high-end, glossy magazine that catered to hip youth counterculture back when I was at school:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_(magazine)

Ironically the magazine is no longer in existence. It had incredibly high production value for a magazine: the quality of paper, the photos, and the printing were all as good as they come. It was on the cutting edge of the metrosexual boom at the time. Yet they stacked these things a halfway to the ceiling at various newsstand depots around the university, for free, for the first several issues when it launched in 2002. Companies did that all the time in the city, and especially around the college campuses like ours.

I remember Axe use to throw their mini spray bottles like candy to the students on Broadway/Astor and in Union Square when they were first promoting themselves. They were pulling them out of garbage bags and giving us as many as we would take. That's one I remember because it lines Wal-Marts everywhere today. For every free product that got thrown at you on any given week that became 1/10th as successful as Axe there was nine others that I won't remember because nothing became of them. Print startups (magazines, tabloids, newspapers, joke mags) definitely pushed harder than any with students, understandably.

First We Feast is putting out some pretty cool culinary programming. Some of it feels like "sponsored content", so you probably aren't going to see any James Beard awards, but then there is stuff like the "Burger Show" if you missed my post in the Fast Food thread. I love learning about the history of cuisine including its regional evolution and styles before being shown simple recipes or ideas to demonstrate the style. This is one of the reasons America's Test Kitchen & BBQ with Franklin are among my favorite cooking shows.

jesus

Like to see Rogan on this show. He often talked about will power and being a host of fear factor for so long, I feel like this would be right up his alley. Also because I feel like JRE is one of the best long form interview show and Hot One is one of the best short form, so crossover is definitely welcomed.

This show is fun to watch. I hate eating stuff after like the 3rd wing they try. At that point the spice literally feels like it tears my insides apart. Dunno how they handle that kind of heat/pain

Yeah, I couldn't do it. I don't eat stupidly spicy stuff anymore, but when I did, half the time was spent blowing my nose and wiping my eyes. I don't know how these guys, even when they are struggling with the heat, manage to look so composed. Three or four of those wings in, and I'd look like a heroin addict needing a fix.

Yeah, I couldn't do it. I don't eat stupidly spicy stuff anymore, but when I did, half the time was spent blowing my nose and wiping my eyes. I don't know how these guys, even when they are struggling with the heat, manage to look so composed. Three or four of those wings in, and I'd look like a heroin addict needing a fix.
when i was a stupid teen, we'd go out and watch the fights with a big group, and I'd order the hottest wings thinking i looked like a badass. regretted it later. now the sauces are so hot, that theyre beyond spicy just to be spicy. they don't taste good. i'd make it through the wings on hot ones with a glass of milk, but nobody really enjoys them.

when i was a stupid teen, we'd go out and watch the fights with a big group, and I'd order the hottest wings thinking i looked like a badass. regretted it later. now the sauces are so hot, that theyre beyond spicy just to be spicy. they don't taste good. i'd make it through the wings on hot ones with a glass of milk, but nobody really enjoys them.
Amen. I haven't been able to figure out a way to water down the Blair's Megadeath without that crap flavor shining through. KC Masterpiece, Honey, and Mayo can't even disguise the flavor before I've mixed so much in it's not even really a spicy custom BBQ sauce I've crafted. It's like Everclear 190 proof. You pour two full Sprites into double pour of that stuff and it still tastes worse than the same amount of a well-made 80 proof Vodka with just a couple ounces of Cranberry Juice. Defeats the purpose unless you just steelgut it, and take it like Shine in straight shots.

That's why I think the pepper sauces that don't used the crap extracts are the only hot ones that probably are worth tasting if you can take the heat. @computer fogie mentions he enjoys Puckerbutt's ReaperXXX Squeezin's which is currently the hottest sauce in the world made without extracts:

Hotsauce_ReaperSqueezins_Front.jpg

I'm not much of a fan of this recent series of videos by Epicurious, because 4 out of 5 times the expert is distinguishing the more expensive options purely on sight, when it's obvious and just about any layman could make these estimations with equal accuracy, but this is one of the better ones, and this hot sauce expert comes off as more down-to-earth. I also like the Eli Cairo, the meat expert, who they recruited for their bacon and deli meats videos. Those are examples of vids where it was easy for me to tell which was more expensive just by watching the video, but I found them more informative than other videos.

Last edited:
Love Hot Ones and love Sean but he's got nothing on Narduwar when it comes to interviews.

the spices in India are used for flavouring. the sauces in hot ones are created just for shock value. theyre certainly not flavouring their dishes with ghost pepper or reaper sauces.

Here's Ramsay taking a dollop of spicy Curry, and losing it like a black guy seeing magic. This was 7 years before the Carolina Reaper was created. There is zero chance he's ever experienced heat like he will on Hot Ones

th

The hottest foot he ate was almost certainly on his great Indian tour, but The Last Dab registers SHU on a level that wasn't seen in nature. It's the product of horticultural cross-breeding that deliberately selects for hotness in peppers.

Dave of Dave's Insanity is usually credited with giving birth to the "chilihead" movement, but Ed Currie at Puckerbutt Farms is the man who breeds the peppers chiliheads everywhere obsess over. He's the Mendel of spicy peppers.

ManonFire_Currie.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_X
This is the pepper that is used in The Last Dab. It hasn't officially been unveiled, but the rumors are that internal testing has shown 3.18 million SHU. The Carolina Reapers (which he also bred) from Puckerbutt hit the high end of 2.2 million SHU.

The hottest natural pepper found in places like India/Thailand is the "ghost pepper":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_jolokia
The hottest ones hit over 1 million SHU, but there's a much wider range in nature, and the lower end was around 600k SHU when they first began gathering and testing these things. In fact, Wiki says the average is much lower than that.
Puckerbutt Farms
<Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

About Pepper X which is unofficially the hottest pepper in the world, and the one used to make "The Last Dab":

You might recognize Sean's colleague, Noah Chaimberg, the one suffering at the end of the video because he nibbled off a piece of a Pepper X, from the Epicurious series of YouTube videos showcasing experts doing blind tastings:

Last edited:
Noah was featured in First We Feast videos before he ever got to that Epicurious video. it was probably his exposure on FWF & Hot Ones that got him on the Epicurious video

Noah was featured in First We Feast videos before he ever got to that Epicurious video. it was probably his exposure on FWF & Hot Ones that got him on the Epicurious video
Oh, no doubt. That Epicurious series is a very recent production.

Oh, no doubt. That Epicurious series is a very recent production.
Eli the meat guy is the best. he’s apparently featured on a bunch of the It’s Alive with Brad video series that I need to watch.

I know it's not fair because dude is so young, but despite all the research Sean Evans and his team does it's kind of weird he has almost zero knowledge on THE GODFATHER. I guess it's not unreasonable to not know Sonny Corleone these days.

The Goldblum episode is a bigtime clash between generational references.

Jumped the vid to where it starts to get painful.

Bonus: do a shot every time Gordy says "fuck!"

Back