The hypocrisy of Sherdog

P4PKingBisping

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
This thought came to mind after UFC 223.

One minute you all say the rankings are stupid, make no sense and that they’re not an accurate representation of a fighters skill level.

But then, when Khabib wins the belt against somebody outside of the top 5 you all cry to the rankings like you weren’t just shitting on them a week ago.

Al Iaquinta is only #11 because he’s too busy making more money selling real estate. He’s easily a top 10 perhaps top 5 fighter.

Pls be consistent

not top 5 imo but raging al is top 10 level its just that LW is so stacked so not every1 can be in the top 10. the ufc just put him in the top 10 and bumped vick down to 11. he's a tough fight for a lot of the top 10 and has a chance to beat a lot of the guys especially the 5-10 guys. kevin lee and micheal chiesa are 2 fights he could easily win

He's #10, you're out of date and in The Wasteland.
The UFC rankings are voted for by 14 MMA 'journalists' you've never heard of too, so I wouldn't take them too seriously.

He's #10, you're out of date and in The Wasteland.
The UFC rankings are voted for by 14 MMA 'journalists' you've never heard of too, so I wouldn't take them too seriously.

Huh

How am I out of date lol I said outside the top 5 not top 10

What are your thoughts on the rankings? Is Conor better than Fergusson because he is rank one?
The rankings as an aggregate, high level tool are OK. There will always be outliers and exceptions that make them look stupid, i.e. Conor/Ferguson in the LW rankings. These exceptions exist because the rankings are made using some random journalists opinions which are no doubt influenced by the UFC and general public perception for the more popular or infamous fighters.

The rankings have their place and they are good, but don't take them too seriously.

One minute you all say the rankings are stupid, make no sense and that they’re not an accurate representation of a fighters skill level.

But then, when Khabib wins the belt against somebody outside of the top 5 you all cry to the rankings like you weren’t just shitting on them a week ago.

Al Iaquinta is only #11 because he’s too busy making more money selling real estate. He’s easily a top 10 perhaps top 5 fighter.

Pls be consistent

You do know that not everyone on Sherdog doesn't believe in rankings, right? If you want to go after certain posters have at it, but don't generalize all of Sherdog, it's a bad look on you.

You do know that not everyone on Sherdog doesn't believe in rankings, right? If you want to go after certain posters have at it, but don't generalize all of Sherdog, it's a bad look on you.

As far as ufc 223 goes sure it’s not all of sherdog. But like even over the past 6 months or so I’ve seen a lot of people doing it.

For example

Bisping-Hendo II

People shit in ole Mike

But then shit on the rankings.

There are plenty other examples

Rockhold Branch was another

I don't think it's inherently inconsistent to think the rankings aren't accurate but still expect a fighter to have to beat someone better than #11 to win the belt, even if he's "easily a top 10 perhaps top 5 fighter."

Pls be consistent
This!

Pls be consistent
While I agree with you, I will say two things about what I highlighted in your post.

1. Yeah it was against someone outside of the top 5, AND the top 10. they say you have to beat the best to be the best, The was no question going in that Al might have been the best lightweight in the world. Not only is he not in that conversation he was NEVER at any point in time in that conversation. At least Pettis was a former LW champion and throughout history has proven to be one of the Greatest LW's ever. to win a belt, that is not of a previous lineage certainly hurts that belts legitimacy, but for that belt to be won from someone who has never fought for a belt, never held a belt, never beaten a top five fighter in the division or even top 10 fighter in the division, hurts the title's legitimacy even more. Not a knock on khabib, just the legitimacy of the current LW title.

2. top 10..... MAYBE. top 5 is a very distant reach, to be top 5 in the ufc LW division you have to be an extremely talented fighter the top 7 is as follows
1.khabib
2. Conor
3. Tony
4. Eddie
5. Porier
6. Barbosa
7. Lee

I wouldn't favour Al in any of those fights, and I like Al a lot. So not a knock on him, Is just that the division so so stacked. I'm sure many fans would have liked to see one of these guys fight khabib instead of al, if that were to have happened I doubt he'd be getting the same heat.

never held a belt, never beaten a top five fighter in the division or even top 10 fighter in the division, hurts the title's legitimacy even more. Not a knock on khabib, just the legitimacy of the current LW title.

2. top 10..... MAYBE. top 5 is a very distant reach, to be top 5 in the ufc LW division you have to be an extremely talented fighter the top 7 is as follows
1.khabib
2. Conor
3. Tony
4. Eddie
5. Porier
6. Barbosa
7. Lee

I wouldn't favour Al in any of those fights, and I like Al a lot. So not a knock on him, Is just that the division so so stacked. I'm sure many fans would have liked to see one of these guys fight khabib instead of al, if that were to have happened I doubt he'd be getting the same heat.

Well to be fair, he has a win over Lee and I believe stuffed all of his takedowns.

1-Khabib
Obviously mauls him as we saw
2-Conor
I don’t recall Al ever being Rocked, he doesn’t have to worry about ground game and has solid boxing to boot. Honestly, I think he has a solid chance against McGregor.
3-Tony
For me Tony wins 60% of the time. Submissions have always been Al’s Achilles heel and Tony is hella good at them. But, he also puts himself in bad positions and Al has the power to shut your lights out.
4-Eddie
They’re very similar fighters as far as their strengths and weaknesses go. Eddie is more scrappy, Al more calculated. I think it goes down to who’s chin is better and Eddie has been in more wars.
5-Poirier
Again relatively similar, 50/50 could go either way.
6-Barboza
All depends on if Al can stay on the inside away from his kicks, Barboza’s hands aren’t too feisty probably another 50/50
7-Lee
Like I said we already saw that

Back