The last time there was a draw for a vacant title...

DeeDubb

Gracie Online Black Belt
@purple
Reaction score
and I believe the only time was when Jens Pulver vacated the LW title and Caol Uno and BJ Penn fought to a split draw in the finals of the LW tournament on at UFC 41, February 28, 2003.

I’m not expecting big results out of Ankalaev tho. He won’t ever have a career like BJ Penn.

dae7b4d8-d9c7-4a4d-a4c8-6d50c6c967f2_text.gif

Maynard and Edgar

Edgar and penn I think Too ?

I was thinking Mighty Mouse and Uncle Creepy. That was not necessarily vacant, but it was a new title.

Maynard and Edgar

Edgar and penn I think Too ?
Frankie beat BJ twice. And the draw against Maynard had Frankie as the champion already. He retained his belt in that draw.

Tyron Woodley had a majority draw against Wonderboy and retained his title there as well.

Maynard and Edgar

Edgar and penn I think Too ?[/Q

Maynard and Edgar was a draw, but the title wasn't vacant. Edgar was the champion at the time. Edgar Penn 1 was not a draw, but a close decision the many thought Penn should've won.

I was thinking Mighty Mouse and Uncle Creepy. That was not necessarily vacant, but it was a new title.

Forgot about that one. That's a really good example. While not vacant, kind of the same idea.

EDIT: Checking again, it was the semi-final of the tournament. They rematched, Mighty Mouse won and beat JBen in the finals. Still a cool example.

Maynard and Edgar was a draw, but the title wasn't vacant. Edgar was the champion at the time. Edgar Penn 1 was not a draw, but a close decision the many thought Penn should've won.
I feel like that was one of the few situations where the more "popular" fighter lost a controversial decision

Back