The left denies science/biology or man can't influence climate change

???

• Total voters
That dudes points are just bizarre. It's hard to believe he's not trolling.

"It needs to be warm so we can mine"
....wot?
"Sea level rise doesn't matter"
<{katwhu}>

Its a collection of classic fossil fuel industry misdirection with a few moments of personal ahh brilliance like those.

While his points are laughable you gotta give credit for originality.

A couple of mines doesn't mean much, there are plenty of deep sea mines too, many of which are actually used for other minerals than oil and gas such as copper, gold, silver, etc. Also the small amoutn of land we lose to sea levels is land that we've already mined out for the most part.

Are you really denying that very cold weather conditions impedes resource collection, land arability and the ability for humans to live there?

Those couple of mines a massive and immensely profitable, proving you can mine in the Arctic circle even if its chilly.

Ohh maybe i could learn something from you, awesome.

Can you name some of these large and profitable underwater mines? I know nothing of them.

Scheme peaked my interest in underwater mining. Sadly seems like an idea as opposed to a reality, but he hopefully can shed further light in this unheaed of practice.

https://www.wealthdaily.com/resources/underwater-mining-companies/11

Underwater mining is still in its infancy. There are only two underwater mining companies exploring the potential of offshore mining. But the current boom in metals may cause the undersea hunt to explode.

Those couple of mines a massive and immensely profitable, proving you can mine in the Arctic circle even if its chilly.

Ohh maybe i could learn something from you, awesome.

Can you name some of these large and profitable underwater mines? I know nothing of them.
My mistake, non-oil deep sea mining seems to be in it's infancy, but a couple of people are planning to set out some expeditions:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/de-beers-harvests-diamonds-at-the-bottom-of-the-sea-1476973582
http://www.nautilusminerals.com/IRM/content/default.aspx

Right, as if he'll actually consider evidence and update your positions.

"GLOBAL COOLING IS COMING!"
"Who cares about the sea level rising?!?!"
BasicPaleGavial-small.gif
that's not typical autistic behaviour

All good.

Did you want any of the other points refuted?
Just because there are mines in colder environments doesn't mean there is an optimal amount. I don't think you refuted anything.

Do you think that a warmer northern Canada/Russia/Northern Europe wouldn't yield more arable, livable or easier to scavenge land?

Leftists also deny human evolution. They believe that evolution only affects the exterior of the human body (skin color, nose, etc.), but that there's a magical hand from a flying sky wizard that protects the human brain from evolving differently from one another via completely different environments and completely different diets and that everyone around the globe has the exact same average intelligence levels.

Leftists also deny human evolution. They believe that evolution only affects the exterior of the human body (skin color, nose, etc.), but that there's a magical hand from a flying sky wizard that protects the human brain from evolving differently from one another via completely different environments and completely different diets and that everyone around the globe has the exact same average intelligence levels.
giphy.gif

Economic growth produces more revenue than not having economic growth is true. The claim that the cuts will cause economic growth should be rated as questionable,
Pretty sure even people like Krugman would disagree with this.

and the claim that it will lower the debt is nutty.
I just watched the segment. It's not the first part of her answer that you should have referenced. It's the last part. Todd actually brings up a screen with the various estimates of the effect on the deficit. That's the point where Collins pretty much throws up her hands and ignores the evidence.

Collins has Parkinson's, and I think you could have come up with a better example to make your point.

It's been an ongoing meme from the right that liberals deny science "because there's only two genders". At the same time many on the right, especially the alt-right, deny that man-made climate change is happening. These two beliefs are antithetical to one another. Either you accept the scientific method and accept data and evidence, or you don't. So for that reason you are given one choice in this poll. You can claim that the far-left campus marxists are science denialists by saying there's more than two genders, OR you can claim that man-made climate change is a myth. You don't get both.

Strawman. 2 different things.

You can believe in and support the Scientific Method and also believe that the global warming argument is mired in bad science, specifically because it hasn't properly followed the scientific method.

Much of the GW argument is based purely on social/peer pressure and Argumentum ad populum.

I don't understand the point of this thread. Why can't we acknowledge biological differences and accept climate change as real?

I also like that TS points out hypocrisy on the right briefly and glosses over it like it's only liberals that are hypocrites.

Strawman. 2 different things.

You can believe in and support the Scientific Method and also believe that the global warming argument is mired in bad science, specifically because it hasn't properly followed the scientific method.

Much of the GW argument is based purely on social/peer pressure and Argumentum ad populum.
What in the actual fuck are you talking about? The greenhouse effect has been known and proven for DECADES. It is absolutely verified fact that carbon traps heat and warms the planet. Wtf are you talking about?????

I don't understand the point of this thread. Why can't we acknowledge biological differences and accept climate change as real?

I also like that TS points out hypocrisy on the right briefly and glosses over it like it's only liberals that are hypocrites.
The point of this thread is to point out conservative hypocrisy. Not to discuss hypocrisy on both sides. Make your own thread about it.

Lol, I don't think TS thought this poll through very well

Lol, I don't think TS thought this poll through very well
I thought it through just fine.

You either get to claim man made climate change is a myth, or you get to claim the left denies science . You don't get both.

What in the actual fuck are you talking about? The greenhouse effect has been known and proven for DECADES. It is absolutely verified fact that carbon traps heat and warms the planet. Wtf are you talking about?????

"actual" gives you away as a clueless millennial.

Wow, you're REEEAALY into strawman arguments. You've just done it again (you might want to look it up), as evidenced by the fact that I never made any claim regarding the greenhouse effect. You should probably listen and think more instead of trying to be both sides of an argument. In fact I've never taken any position on this board regarding the topic, so you might want to work on your reading comprehension. I've only pointed out that your OP is nonsense;

Here's what I AM talking about:
Example: Nutrition

At some point in the 70's/80's the notion that "fat makes you fat" and "fat causes heart disease". It naturally followed that commonsense nutrition dictated that fat should be eliminated/minimal in a healthy diet. Carbs were promoted in place of fat and the food pyramid published by the FDA (still today) shows that the majority of our diet should be made up of bread/grains.
There was no credible science to back up these sweeping conclusions and yet they became the accepted dogma to the point that opposing viewpoints (Dr. Atkins theories) were vilified and mocked and the dissenters treated like pariahs. Now, when it comes to nutrition and diet, unlike physics or engineering, this topic typically devolves into religious-like ridiculousness. The worst thing about it imo is that doctors and nutritionists should understand the scientific method and should always look to it, and use it, to prove/disprove any particular claim in order to find the truth. They, of all people, should know better than to rely on popular opinion. They failed en masse. Science doesn't care about your opinion. Only in the last couple decades have "alternative opinions" been given any open-minded consideration, after conducting & publishing actual scientific studies. Why were so many professionals so easily cow-towed into blindly accepting unscrutinized/unchallenged dogma that is now proven to be false? The arrogance of people with no credible scientific proof can be astounding, and again, very "religious" in nature. To challenge the orthodoxy becomes a crime in itself. This is the real danger here, and it's the same dynamic w/ regard to the GW debate. Just the flagrant use of the loaded McCarthy-like term "denier" that we've seen for years and that is thrown around & used as a weapon, is troubling enough. Your unhinged response is further evidence.

Bottom line: ANY position worth defending should be able to withstand honest rigorous scrutiny.

Back