The light heavyweight division exactly 10 years ago

On that list I would favor over Pereira:

Jones, Gus, Glover, Davis, Evans, DC, Rumble, Bader, and possibly Chael (past prime MW)
It certainly was pretty grappler heavy back then.

I guess we will have to wait and see how Poatan does when he comes up against grapplers like Ankalaev.

Last edited:
On that list I would favor over Pereira:

Jones, Gus, Glover, Davis, Evans, DC, Rumble, Bader, and possibly Chael (past prime MW)

Personally, I would only bet the house on Jones, DC and Rumble.
I think that Gus could lose a decision and that Glover and Evans would get KTFO.
Bader would have a chance but I think that he'd be too afraid then would get caught stupidly.
Chael wouldn't be afraid to engage and he could submit him but I wouldn't bet the house. Same for Davis.

Ironically 10 years ago was the last year pre-USADA, which started in 2015 and every division changed after that point on really. Especially the heavier weight classes. We probably won't see anything like it again until conditions revert back to what they used to be.

Personally, I would only bet the house on Jones, DC and Rumble.
I think that Gus could lose a decision and that Glover and Evans would get KTFO.
Bader would have a chance but I think that he'd be too afraid then would get caught stupidly.
Chael wouldn't be afraid to engage and he could submit him but I wouldn't bet the house. Same for Davis.
I don't know about that. We all saw Pereira fight Jan. He almost got subbed and scraped by a split decision win. Gustafsson and Glover are far better wrestlers than Jan considering how their fights went. So are Davis, Bader, and Evans. Bader is the only one I would give a 50/50 chance for Pereira to beat given his iffy chin.

I can already see where this thread is headed. Veiled Alex hate thread.

There’s lots of name value there, but beyond Jones and DC (debatably #1 and #2 GOAT LHWs), a lot of these guys are way past prime or haven’t quite entered their prime. The one thing this era did have that is lacking today is a diversity in styles. There’s some serious grapplers there that would give Alex some problems.

Gus: Most famous for having a close first fight with Jones. Primarily a striker. Goes on a nice run at LHW with wins over guys like the janitor, old man Shogun and James Tehuna, then faces a murderers row of Jones, DC, and prime Rumble. No shame losing there, but Gus’ skillset couldn’t get him over the hump to beat those kinds of guys. Subbed by Davis, KO by Rumble, decisioned by DC and Jones (albeit in competitive fights). Well rounded at losing to the top guys.

Shogun: 2013 Shogun was toast. 3 knee surgeries later. Last memorable, meaningful thing he did was KO Machida in 09’. I’d pick prime Shogun over any LHW ever, except Jon, but this version wouldn’t dominate today.

Glover: well rounded, criminally underrated. The last of the guys on this list to hold a belt, so he was actually still competitve in this current landscape while being old. Yes, he’d be competitive now, and would never fight Alex, but has the grappling to cause him problems. He’s his professor and trainer, after all.

Bader: We all know what happens when Bader fights a large, intimidating force with TDD and brutal KO power. But, after Rumble violated him, he turned a corner. Honestly, I think that the best version of Bader went to Bellator. ~2016 Bader could be competitve today, but this 2013 version is still susceptible to being KO’d if you could avoid his pressure or intimidate him. Definitely has the wrestling to give AP problems.

Phil Davis really stands out to me as a lock to decision Alex. He only lost to guys with legit wrestling that could stuff a takedown (Bader, Rashad, Rumble). Alex can get taken down, for sure.

Back