THE LOW KICK! What is it?

What is it ? in the .gif it's a Kick boxing technique. It looks mad but it's a slap kick... will still hurt like a bitch.

In Muay Thai we keep our legs straight and swing our body.

you dont keep the kicking leg straight when you execute a low kick...the power comes from the torque of the hips when it swings. the kicking leg remains relaxed and bent slightly. i dont know who told you the muay thai low kick is done with a straight leg.

Since the subject is lowkicks, this is somewhat relevant. I just learned this today, but has anybody else here countered a jab with a low kick to their front leg? The reason behind this is because all their weight is on the front leg, and you can knock it out from under them, but at worst, that badboy ain't moving, so you can really hit it deep. While you may eat a jab in the process, it is possible to parry it and still score the kicks. Thoughts?

If you step to the left when throwing a right kick you may slip the jab all together and the step to the left is a big key in maximal punishment.

Some people kick with their legs.
Other kick with their whole body.

^^^AMEN. And also some people won't ever be able to hit hard. I use to not think this was true untill last night, I'll save you the long story but just trust me, Some people will never be able to kick hard, But everyone can learn to kick harder than they already do

If you step to the left when throwing a right kick you may slip the jab all together and the step to the left is a big key in maximal punishment.

Another key component is range, as I have been learning. Using that step to adjust your range helps put the right distance between you and your opponent for maximum damage. If you jam yourself, you won't be able to generate as much power.

unfortunately it also steps you right into an orthodox fighters power. If you step left, and you don't step far enough or lean out you will eat a cross.

I actually prefer to parry the jab while taking a quick step out to the right with my rear foot, squaring up my hips, then throwing the kick to the inside of the thigh with my lead leg. or when circling to the right, off my lead leg. (orthodox fighter)

If your going to throw the kick off the jab on your rear leg, your better off pulling back from the jab and swinging the kick through!

unfortunately it also steps you right into an orthodox fighters power. If you step left, and you don't step far enough or lean out you will eat a cross.

I actually prefer to parry the jab while taking a quick step out to the right with my rear foot, squaring up my hips, then throwing the kick to the inside of the thigh with my lead leg. or when circling to the right, off my lead leg. (orthodox fighter)

If your going to throw the kick off the jab on your rear leg, your better off pulling back from the jab and swinging the kick through!

I disagree. If you land any kick on the lead leg, you destabilize them at least somewhat, and they won't be able to throw any effective punch with their right hand, and while they work to regain their balance, you can either move out of range, or you can throw a combo.

The problem with stepping to the right and using an inside leg kick is that it won't have the same rotational power and throwing a leg kick with your rear leg. And it is bad to pull back from the jab, because they you lose more of your power when you hit with the kick.

I disagree. If you land any kick on the lead leg, you destabilize them at least somewhat, and they won't be able to throw any effective punch with their right hand, and while they work to regain their balance, you can either move out of range, or you can throw a combo.

The problem with stepping to the right and using an inside leg kick is that it won't have the same rotational power and throwing a leg kick with your rear leg. And it is bad to pull back from the jab, because they you lose more of your power when you hit with the kick.

if your throwing the kick off a jab counter, you had better be pretty damn fast then. I agree that the kick destablizes the leg, but usually a jab is a set up punch, with another coming behind it. If you slip the jab into their power as you throw that kick and they are throwing a 2 behind the jab, you better be fast or your going to move your face right into the cross!

that short right step squares your hips up enough to get sufficient power and if the kick lands it put your opponent off balance and squared up right in front of you, great to follow that lead kick with a straight cross.

Pulling back may take away some power, but if your rotation is good and your set on your post leg, the kick can do damage. More important, it keeps you from getting countered as easily.

The best low kicker in the world (Kozo) kicks upwards

The 2nd best low kicker in the world (Hoost) kicks downwards

The best low kicker in the world (Kozo) kicks upwards

The 2nd best low kicker in the world (Hoost) kicks downwards

What is it ? in the .gif it's a Kick boxing technique. It looks mad but it's a slap kick... will still hurt like a bitch.

In Muay Thai we keep our legs straight and swing our body.

kickboxing = watered down muay thai innit.

the gif looks like muay thai technique, I've just come back from training and i've been throwing and getting hit with them, looking like that!

you dont keep the kicking leg straight when you execute a low kick...the power comes from the torque of the hips when it swings. the kicking leg remains relaxed and bent slightly. i dont know who told you the muay thai low kick is done with a straight leg.

My apologies, my trainer with 200 fights clearly is clueless. I have watched in excess of 100 Muay Thai fights in person over the last 12 months and never seen a Thai wind up a kick like that. They keep it straight so they can keep range, in MMA they usually call it a leg checking...

YouTube - PFC11 Rambaa Somdet M16 vs. Ulysses Gomez 2/3

The difference is in the angle... Hoost winds up and throws the kick down and he is considered a Muay thai fighter. But everybody know's ductchmen incorporate th best of kick boxing into muay thai.

Both legs should not be straight.
the leg your standing on should be bent quite a bit.

that video you posted, he is bending the legs when he kicks.

Pretty sure he's not bending the striking leg 90 degree's when he strikes like in the .gif

off coarse not,however there not straight.
all though i think what you meant to say is not bent to much.

i never said the striking leg should be bent 90 degrees...-_-

the truth is that both legs are bent slightly when executing the low kick properly. sorry if i contradict your trainer, but alot of muay thai stylists in the world would agree with me.

captainobvious.jpg

I was taught to bring the knee up like a kick to the body but turn your hips over and drive your shin towards his thigh like an axe.
Oh and pivot.
Turn your hips over and pivot.
Use your leg like a baseball bat, don't straighten it out.

Back