The Magical Jabs

Excellent thread gentlemen and I've seen a few.
If it hasn't been answered; Which jab do you think is the most effective for todays MMA. I saw the Cotto power jab and thought with the small gloves, that jab thrown well could end someones night, at least put you on your ass. Has a Karate feel to it, no?

Yes and no, the power-jab is accentuated by a fencer-like movement, but in Boxing you DO NOT keep your back straight the way a reverse punch would be thrown, and definitely not your head up. But yes, it's a bone-cracker if you have heavy hands. A guy like Damacio Page learning the full nuances of the power-jab would be deadly.

It's hard to say which jab is MOST effective, I think it depends on the Fighter. Donald Cerrone knocked Rob McCullough down with a trip-hammer style jab. He just flicks it so hard it's unbelievable.

Excellent thread gentlemen and I've seen a few.
If it hasn't been answered; Which jab do you think is the most effective for todays MMA. I saw the Cotto power jab and thought with the small gloves, that jab thrown well could end someones night, at least put you on your ass. Has a Karate feel to it, no?

Cottos got fast jabs though people say hes slow for a welter. What i DONT like is the fact that he likes to take a monster step with the jab to follow up with other shots, very risky

Kid Yamamoto knocked down Murahama with a jab, and put Jadamba out cold with a jab as well

Cottos got fast jabs though people say hes slow for a welter. What i DONT like is the fact that he likes to take a monster step with the jab to follow up with other shots, very risky

The power-jab is accentuated by that lunge, it's not just to get close, it's part of the technique.

The power-jab is accentuated by that lunge, it's not just to get close, it's part of the technique.

yea the single jabs i like, quick and knockdown power, but lots of times he likes to follow it up with a right hook to the body, which leaves him vulnerable.

I went back and looked at some fights, I think Miguel Torres is one of the best so far, Cerrone as mentioned.

Always did what?

not really a jab, but he just threw it out all the time there to measure distance before throwing an overhand right.

the main time i saw him use jab as a weapon was his last fight against SHeika.

He pawed and touched, the actual pawing jab is a bit more systematic. Roy did stuff you're essentially always told not to do, but could get away with it as he had magical speed and reflexes.

RJJ used a jab?

It looked good against Pazienza, and even though he used it sparingly, I thought his jab looked good against Ruiz as well, especially when he was using it to set up the straight right.

Great post! Have you ever posted a list of all time great jabbers? And where would Larry Holmes jab be in you mind at heavyweight?

Wow great thread, definitely my favorite so far. Ike had an amazing jab. I also think Mosley has a great jab that is underrated.

Very interesting read I wasn't aware of the variety of jabs, but I don't understand the difference between the pawing and slap jab they seem the same.

The pawing jab is typically slower and left out there longer, the slapping jab is brought back faster.

Back