The MAIN REASON why UFC/MMA will never be bigger than Football, Soccer, WWE, etc

thats crap. it will never be cause the for people wihout any knowledge it looks brutal.

gnp and stuff is just nothing for the public audience.

oh yeah and cause of stuff like this:

MirNogII03_medium.gif

cain-bigfoot-bloodbath.jpg

It's the violence really. Some people just don't have the stomach.

so you basically figured out the difference between individual and colletive sports

and wwe is entertainment not a sport

What's interesting to me is how when a fight breaks out in another sport it's all the rage and everybody wants to see it and see what happened

but then fighting is "too violent" for them

:eek:

Nah, I think most people just don't like violence that much.

I agree, you can watch football with the family.
its not always the case with mma.
so many middle aged moms hate it and dont want their kids exposed to it

The fact that a Champion can't stay Champion forever will stop MMA be a bigger sport than Football, Soccer, Basketball, etc and the fact that MMA isn't a team sport.

Basketball, Football, Soccer, etc will always have its teams it has, and it will always be people's favorite team.

Example: A die-hard Lakers fan will always want to watch a Lakers Game. No matter who is on the team. When Kobe retires, Lakers fan will still like the Lakers, so Basketball will always interest them when the Lakers play no matter who plays for the Lakers. People eventually have their own favorite die-hard Basketball team and will never dislike them, so it will never make them lose interest in Basketball.

Brock Lesnar was arguably the most famous MMA fighter. All of his PPV did HUGE numbers. When he retired, people who were Brock Lesnar fans stopped watching UFC/MMA because they're favorite fighter or the fighter that interest them retired. Boxing doesn't do huge number all the time, it only does huge numbers when Mayweather or Pacman fights. People who aren't huge boxing fights will only watch boxing when they fight and they will always watch their fight as long as their Champions.

I HATE when people say "well WWE gets more viewers than UFC". It's simple. WWE gets to pick their Champions, its scripted, and they pick their rivalries. The Undertaker could be a Champion for 10 years and have a heated scripted rivalry with Brock Lesnar. Kids will die to see a PPV when they "fight". UFC can't pick Champions, pick rivalries, and script how everything goes down. Imagine if Lyoto Machida was Crane Kicking everyone for 5 years straight and then he has a heated rivalry with Jon Jones who has been spinning elbowing his opponents for 5 years straight? and both stayed undefeated? Man....UFC will do 5 million buys EASY.

I hope MMA becomes the biggest sport in the world and I hope I'm wrong with this thread but theres so many obstacles that will stop it from being the biggest sport in the world. Having the likes of GSP, Anderson Silva, and now Jon Jones is making the sport big. Having a consistent Champion will HELP make MMA bigger than other sports but won't MAKE MMA bigger than other sports for the fact that one day they will retire or lose.

It's just the fact that UFC/MMA really is "as real as it gets". And thats the beauty of the sport. We will never know what will happen next, who will rise, and who will fall.

As much as I hated to make this thread, I LOVE MMA and I'll dream and pray for it to be bigger than every other sport.

MMA > Football, Soccer, Basketball, Baseball, WWE, etc is what my heart will always say!

Anderson Silva and GSP are longer reigning champs than anyone in the WWE has been, for a good two decades now.

Know what you're talking about, before you make a stupid thread.

MMA isn't as big, because it's a niche product, that still has a lot of negative stereotypes surrounding it.

Boxing, Tennis, and Golf all have the same "hurdles" you pointed out, yet they're amongst the most popular sports in the world.

Stupid thread is stupid.

No Ariel, Bisping IS a gatekeeper.

He is nowhere near a title shot now, Anderson would kill him. Stop with this.

I think this thread is a failure. Granted a lot of us people who've been watching MMA forever are completely in love with our old time favorites, IU'm pretty sure all of us also have guy in their mid career range we enjoy and who are in their early years.

Thing is most people will find fighters they like, the people who only like the 1 or 2 people at the top aren't true fans anyways.

people connect more with sports they have played or can play

i think mma can get enormous if theres no setbacks in regulation, like a death in the cage or something

a lot of the problem with mma is people are still sensitive to the violence. i think it will be interesting to see how the 13 year olds of today feel about mma in 15 years vs the average 28 year old today

Theres nothing better a great MMA fight imho..and this is coming from someone who followed stick and balls sports religiously since childhood. If Boxing can be accepted, MMA can also.

When it comes to champs holding the belt, everyone loves to see a dominant champ lose in a dramatic and surprising fashion. Thats the intrigue..

people connect more with sports they have played or can play

i think mma can get enormous if theres no setbacks in regulation, like a death in the cage or something

a lot of the problem with mma is people are still sensitive to the violence. i think it will be interesting to see how the 13 year olds of today feel about mma in 15 years vs the average 28 year old today

I've found more children, not only coming to my school and wanting to learn the sport as young as 5, but also have a favorite fighter or two that they admire.

I would say its the anonymity and snobbery filled fan base that stops this sport from increasing into its full potential.

Semi true

MMA will never be as big as the major sports because most people dont want to watch people hit each other believe it or not

This. Having a Champion for too long can be boring any. Most fans won't want that anyway.

Boxing, Tennis, and Golf all have the same "hurdles" you pointed out, yet they're amongst the most popular sports in the world.
Individual sports are star driven. That is their flaw in comparison to team sports. The overwhelming majority of 'sports fans' are interested in seeing stars rather than the actual sport. The same people who tune in to see Tiger and Phil are going to find something better to do when they're not in it. People show up to watch Mayweather, but how many are going to watch two dudes they've never heard of? MMA is the same. Being a champion doesn't necessarily make you a star. Chuck, Rampage, Tito, Lesnar, Kimbo, and Couture were actual crossover stars. Those are guys who are actually known outside of the sport, and have actually brought NEW fans to MMA. Shogun, Machida, JDS, Anderson, and even GSP are only stars within the realm of MMA. Only people who follow the sport know who they are. Those guys are draws for people who are already invested in MMA, but nobody else cares, even though they're really talented. Sloane Stephens is probably the next big thing in Tennis. Fans of the sport have probably known about her for a long time, while outsiders (including myself) heard her name for the first time yesterday. On the other hand, Venus and Serena are doing iPhone commercials, and are well known to people who don't even watch tennis.

Back