The Maze Runner series: Maze Runner, Scorch Trials, Death Cure

Just another young adult cash grab like Divergent, Percy Jackson,The Giver, I am Number 4, ect

I'd be embarrassed to buy a ticket to it personally
Not really, not really chick flicky at all tbh like the aforementioned. It was a set of teenage novels, but geared towards males, not women

never seen these movies maybe ill check it out

Dylan Obrien would make a decent nightwing

Just saw death cure!

I liked the first movie despite the awful dialogue and then annoying naming of everything (we call it the glade; we call them grievers; we call them slicers; we call him greeny etc etc), it was a thrill watching those guys run around.

Second movie was pretty bad.

Death cure is probably the best of the series. Non stop action...I was pretty much in shock over how much action there was actually, almost to the point of overkill in what was a really long movie.

The lack of bloody violence takes a bit if adjusting to but after that I found it to be a really fun time. Well acted compared to the previous movies, and the action was done well and realistic.

Brought the feels too, a bit.

Just got back. I agree with you, this one is probably the best of the series.

I thought it started a bit weakly but it slowly gained momentum and once they get into the city, it's going full speed and is a lot of fun.

We have likable characters, well-staged action, good production design and a story that is still interesting even if it's derivative of other films. I especially liked the design of the city and the design of all the hi-tech lab environments.

Other than a few shorts, the Maze Runner series are the only films that Wes Ball has directed but I think the guy has a lot of talent. Now that Maze Runner is over, I'll be interested in seeing what he does next.

I'm not really understanding the critical response to this film. As we've said, it's arguably the best of the series. It is, at the very least, EASILY better than the second film. And yet, here are the RT scores:

Maze Runner - 65%
Scorch Trials - 46%
Death Cure - 43%

This is a well-made film. It definitely does not deserve the green splat.

Personally, I'm going to give this film a 7.5, the first film a slightly weaker 7.5 and the second film a 6.5. @Dragonlordxxxxx, I know you were put off by Scorch Trials but I think you should give this one a look.

I liked it all the way through. Of all the YA movies I've seen, it's the one that impressed me the most.

I'll take it over The Hunger Games, which most people seem to regard as the crown jewel of the YA genre.
Yeah, I"m with the HG crowd.

The first was fantastic up until the incredibly disappointing denouement. The second was plain terrible. Don't expect much from the third.

Yeah, I"m with the HG crowd.

The first was fantastic up until the incredibly disappointing denouement. The second was plain terrible. Don't expect much from the third.

Are you talking about Maze Runner or Hunger Games?

If you're talking Maze Runner I've seen them all now. The third one is actually probably the best of the series.

Just got back. I agree with you, this one is probably the best of the series.

I thought it started a bit weakly but it slowly gained momentum and once they get into the city, it's going full speed and is a lot of fun.

We have likable characters, well-staged action, good production design and a story that is still interesting even if it's derivative of other films. I especially liked the design of the city and the design of all the hi-tech lab environments.

Other than a few shorts, the Maze Runner series are the only films that Wes Ball has directed but I think the guy has a lot of talent. Now that Maze Runner is over, I'll be interested in seeing what he does next.

I'm not really understanding the critical response to this film. As we've said, it's arguably the best of the series. It is, at the very least, EASILY better than the second film. And yet, here are the RT scores:

Maze Runner - 65%
Scorch Trials - 46%
Death Cure - 43%

This is a well-made film. It definitely does not deserve the green splat.

Personally, I'm going to give this film a 7.5, the first film a slightly weaker 7.5 and the second film a 6.5. @Dragonlordxxxxx, I know you were put off by Scorch Trials but I think you should give this one a look.
Thanks for the heads-up. Still not planning to see it in theaters but I look forward to seeing it at home after hearing your comments.

I mean, now that the subject's been brought up I have to say I'm thinking about it.

Gotta finish Liam Neeson's thrillers first though

No, no, nooooo!!! Don't dot the Divergent series .... Cause that means I'll have to comment on them and speak to the atrocities of film I find them to be.

No, no, nooooo!!! Don't dot the Divergent series .... Cause that means I'll have to comment on them and speak to the atrocities of film I find them to be.

So they really are as bad as people say? What about them sucks so much?

So they really are as bad as people say? What about them sucks so much?

I personally found them to be not much more than cash grab drivel. The effects weren't all that bad, but I just don't find the lead actors to be compelling on their own and especially not together in these movies. Jai Courtney makes me cringe nearly constantly in this series (there's only 2-3 roles he's appeared in that I really liked him in, one being Suicide Squad of all movies). The guy that plays Four (really, that's you friggin name??? more cringe). The love story felt silly and not organic. Without going into too much depth regarding the story, to borrow your adjective from yesterday, felt incoherent. Just a bunch of random hard, pun intended, divergents from the primary story line to fit a more standard Hollywood archetype that had already mostly been done in the Hunger Games. All that said, I'm sure the pre-teen/teenage target audience had their short attention span satisfied because plot continuity just doesn't really matter to them as long as it looks cool and has an attractive enough cast to look at in between checking their facebook updates.

That help @shadow_priest_x ? I think that line of complaining should give you a good foundation to rebut from once you waste approximately 6 hours on the trilogy. :)

I personally found them to be not much more than cash grab drivel. The effects weren't all that bad, but I just don't find the lead actors to be compelling on their own and especially not together in these movies. Jai Courtney makes me cringe nearly constantly in this series (there's only 2-3 roles he's appeared in that I really liked him in, one being Suicide Squad of all movies). The guy that plays Four (really, that's you friggin name??? more cringe). The love story felt silly and not organic. Without going into too much depth regarding the story, to borrow your adjective from yesterday, felt incoherent. Just a bunch of random hard, pun intended, divergents from the primary story line to fit a more standard Hollywood archetype that had already mostly been done in the Hunger Games. All that said, I'm sure the pre-teen/teenage target audience had their short attention span satisfied because plot continuity just doesn't really matter to them as long as it looks cool and has an attractive enough cast to look at in between checking their facebook updates.

That help @shadow_priest_x ? I think that line of complaining should give you a good foundation to rebut from once you waste approximately 6 hours on the trilogy. :)

LOL. Indeed.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to fuck with this one. I admit, I'm curious, but on the other hand the trailers did very little for me and I don't think I've seen even ONE person say they're a fan of these films.

Usually when a franchise is embattled, like the Resident Evil movies, there's a contingent of fans that really enjoys them, and that always intrigues me. But I am not seeing that contingent with these movies.

LOL. Indeed.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to fuck with this one. I admit, I'm curious, but on the other hand the trailers did very little for me and I don't think I've seen even ONE person say they're a fan of these films.

Usually when a franchise is embattled, like the Resident Evil movies, there's a contingent of fans that really enjoys them, and that always intrigues me. But I am not seeing that contingent with these movies.

Contingent would be a great title for the 4th movie.

LOL. Indeed.

Yeah, I know some people that thought they were entertaining, but most of my legit movie buddies feel similarly to how I do. Maybe not quite as much vitriol coming from them as me, but the general consensus is the same.

Back