Movies The message behind Purple Rain (movie)

Surpised @HunterAcosta hasn't shown up. Every time I see that Apollonia avatar I think about Lake Minnetonka
there are a couple guys on here that are pretty familiar with that era of Prince. However, Prince had many eras and images, unlike your average artist, he was changing looks and themes every time out. I think Bowie and Madonna tried that too but I don't think anyone did as much as Prince. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, in fact, probably more often than not it didn't in the 90's. All the 80's acts were stumbling by the 90's if they were doing much at all.

Prince was the master of being petty AF but people not getting mad at him. Apparently he didn't like Foo Fighters' version of Darling Nikki so he played the first verse of "Best of You" at the Superbowl halftime show. Dave and the boys were loving it.

Man awesome thread. Good to see fans of his here. I am one of those people who separate the artist from the music. Meaning I try not to look at their personal life too too much and use it to like or dislike somebody's music. They are flawed people. Hell we all are. Artists, especially genius one, even more than most. Purple Rain, the soundtrack and movie were a big part of my childhood. Im 50 now and seeing the movie and listening to the soundtrack when it first came out, really blew my mind. I grew up with quite a diverse taste in music courtesy of my parents, but Purple Rain was so unique and special, that even my young brain could understand how genius this guy was. I must have played the VHS tape of Purple Rain like a thousand times literally. Just watched it relentlessly and the Lake Minnetonka scene and heavy petting scene, were like my first(sorry tmi) real fap scene, so Apollonia was my real first love lol. Fun fact, she dated David Lee Roth but rumor is she was told by Prince to break up with him in order to play in the movie. She never has confirmed or denied if she slept with Prince, although the sex scene they have in the movie, shows me at least, two people who've exchaged body fluids. Another fun fact she has a Mexican movie (not x rated) that she did before Purple Rain called Sex Beach(in english, Amor Ciego in spanish) where she has many topless scenes, so use google Sherdoggers and do your research.

The message of the movie? Man, for me its gone thru phases as Ive gotten older. I saw him as an asshole who was just a conceited prick in the movie when I was younger, but of course, uber talented. When I became older teen, I saw some of Prince in that move in myself as I was an angry young man, full of test. Now as an older man I see that he was around abuse prob his whole life and prob abused himself(movie never confrms) and a victim of trauma and he perpetuated cycle, but found redemption at end by allowing his bandmates to flourish and for (it would seem) being a more caring, calmer, empathetic person with Apollonia(who by the way, besides her tits, was absolutely GLOWING and radiant and beatfiul, with a spunkiness to her and a smile that lit up a room, but coud be sexy dirty when she decided to). He was continuing the cycle of domestic violence and so wrapped up in his own head, that he was going same path as his father, and as many of us on here with daddy issues can attest, we dont want to be anything like our fathers(for those with bad dads or deeply flawed dads, particularly alcoholic or drug addict dads).

Appolonia did not deserve to be beat, BUT as I age and look back at movie, I dont think shes quite 100 an innocent flower also. She was playing a dangerous game with Morris and Prince and I think there's a case to be made that she slept with Morris(movie implies it in subtle way). I do think she truly loved Prince though or rather, fell in love with him , but was first and foremost , trying to advance her career and aligning herself with who she could, to get ahead. I doubt that they lasted together in that Purple Rain universe, post movie as two musicians like that trying to stay together, is a real real tough task.

All in all, a message about redemption and the power to change bad habits and to have empathy for others, and get outside your own head and try and move past the demons that haunt you and not bring hell onto others just cause you suffer. What i get from it as I grow into middle age.

Glad you get it.. that description is on point.

Many more stories to prove it as well.

He borrowed a prized guitar from someone from the Roots- ended the performance, breaking it in the process, then when Captain Kirk asked Prince to at least sign the guitar so he got at least something out of the situation, Prince refused.

But I mean, this is the guy who gave the world "Kiss" so I guess it balances out.

I like when he rented former NBA player Carlos Boozer’s house and proceeded to Princify it.

Man awesome thread. Good to see fans of his here. I am one of those people who separate the artist from the music. Meaning I try not to look at their personal life too too much and use it to like or dislike somebody's music. They are flawed people. Hell we all are. Artists, especially genius one, even more than most. Purple Rain, the soundtrack and movie were a big part of my childhood. Im 50 now and seeing the movie and listening to the soundtrack when it first came out, really blew my mind. I grew up with quite a diverse taste in music courtesy of my parents, but Purple Rain was so unique and special, that even my young brain could understand how genius this guy was. I must have played the VHS tape of Purple Rain like a thousand times literally. Just watched it relentlessly and the Lake Minnetonka scene and heavy petting scene, were like my first(sorry tmi) real fap scene, so Apollonia was my real first love lol. Fun fact, she dated David Lee Roth but rumor is she was told by Prince to break up with him in order to play in the movie. She never has confirmed or denied if she slept with Prince, although the sex scene they have in the movie, shows me at least, two people who've exchaged body fluids. Another fun fact she has a Mexican movie (not x rated) that she did before Purple Rain called Sex Beach(in english, Amor Ciego in spanish) where she has many topless scenes, so use google Sherdoggers and do your research.

The message of the movie? Man, for me its gone thru phases as Ive gotten older. I saw him as an asshole who was just a conceited prick in the movie when I was younger, but of course, uber talented. When I became older teen, I saw some of Prince in that move in myself as I was an angry young man, full of test. Now as an older man I see that he was around abuse prob his whole life and prob abused himself(movie never confrms) and a victim of trauma and he perpetuated cycle, but found redemption at end by allowing his bandmates to flourish and for (it would seem) being a more caring, calmer, empathetic person with Apollonia(who by the way, besides her tits, was absolutely GLOWING and radiant and beatfiul, with a spunkiness to her and a smile that lit up a room, but coud be sexy dirty when she decided to). He was continuing the cycle of domestic violence and so wrapped up in his own head, that he was going same path as his father, and as many of us on here with daddy issues can attest, we dont want to be anything like our fathers(for those with bad dads or deeply flawed dads, particularly alcoholic or drug addict dads).

Appolonia did not deserve to be beat, BUT as I age and look back at movie, I dont think shes quite 100 an innocent flower also. She was playing a dangerous game with Morris and Prince and I think there's a case to be made that she slept with Morris(movie implies it in subtle way). I do think she truly loved Prince though or rather, fell in love with him , but was first and foremost , trying to advance her career and aligning herself with who she could, to get ahead. I doubt that they lasted together in that Purple Rain universe, post movie as two musicians like that trying to stay together, is a real real tough task.

All in all, a message about redemption and the power to change bad habits and to have empathy for others, and get outside your own head and try and move past the demons that haunt you and not bring hell onto others just cause you suffer. What i get from it as I grow into middle age.
Thanks for the contribution. Going forward I will refer to you as apple cinnamon.

Back