The mishandling of Kell Brook

stuff jones

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I would not have allowed Brook to jump up two weight classes to fight GGG and then immediately go back down to fight Spence. I can somewhat understand the GGG fight - he needed to do something bold to raise his profile. But then immediately jumping back down to fight the most dangerous WW was pure mismangement.

He was just in his prime and had a chance to be a belt hold/contender for years at 154. Now he may very well be a spent fighter. It's almost like he was cashed out in his prime.

Brook saw a big payday and was probably impatient and frustrated that there weren't any legitimate welterweights willing to fight him. He was on a killing spree, a world champion, and his confidence had a head full of steam. Like any fighter, he probably saw the flaws in Golovkin and thought he could be the man to exploit them. I can totally see why he jumped at the chance, given the circumstances.

That being said, I'm not sure if he will be able to "toe the scratch" and fight to the brink like he has before. GGG really did a number on him, and then Spence was there to shatter what was already cracked.

When you're that good, and British, most Americans will duck you. The didn't duck Khan because Khan isn't as good (in my opinion). Spence took the fight after he became damaged goods.

Brook needs a couple tune-ups and then maybe one more crack at the championship level. Then we'll see how things shake out.

Some people give him guff for taking a knee during the Spence fight, but I think his corner should have been on it sooner. It was almost like his corner said, fine, we'll let the lion fight longer than we did against Golovkin, it's only a welter this time. But that logic actually backfired.

All about money, he knows that he and Khan can always cash out on eachother when needed which is why he did what he did, the GGG was a win win, he gets to say he lost to the #1 middleweight and still have a title at 147 but lost it to the #2 guy at 147, hes made enough money as stated earlier, hes got the Khan fight to fall back on, not the greatest career, but pretty well thought out financially.

People accused Hearn of cashing him out when the the GGG fight got made. He should probably stick to the domestic scene for awhile. If it goes well then fight for another title.

I would not have allowed Brook to jump up two weight classes to fight GGG and then immediately go back down to fight Spence. I can somewhat understand the GGG fight - he needed to do something bold to raise his profile. But then immediately jumping back down to fight the most dangerous WW was pure mismangement.

He was just in his prime and had a chance to be a belt hold/contender for years at 154. Now he may very well be a spent fighter. It's almost like he was cashed out in his prime.
that's the history of boxing in a nutshell, lots of guys been thrown to the lions for a quick buck.

It turned out to not be the best move for his career, but him and his team thought he could win and he didn't want to vacate his belt. Had he beaten Spence, he'd have likely been looked at as the clear #1 WW. It's the way it goes sometimes.

It turned out to not be the best move for his career, but him and his team thought he could win and he didn't want to vacate his belt. Had he beaten Spence, he'd have likely been looked at as the clear #1 WW. It's the way it goes sometimes.

This.

You risk everything for greatness. He thought he could win both fights. Can't fault a champion for fighting other champions. He was the bigger guy in the GGG fight too. He just drains an insane amount of weight to make 147. In hindsight it's easy to say they were bad moves but had he won both fights or either fight he would be one of the biggest guys in the sport right now. All he had going for him before was a belt and a bunch of guys dodging him.

If no one took big risks boxing would be shit so I'm glad OP's opinion is as meaningless as ever.

Brook saw a big payday and was probably impatient and frustrated that there weren't any legitimate welterweights willing to fight him. He was on a killing spree, a world champion, and his confidence had a head full of steam. Like any fighter, he probably saw the flaws in Golovkin and thought he could be the man to exploit them. I can totally see why he jumped at the chance, given the circumstances.

That being said, I'm not sure if he will be able to "toe the scratch" and fight to the brink like he has before. GGG really did a number on him, and then Spence was there to shatter what was already cracked.

When you're that good, and British, most Americans will duck you. The didn't duck Khan because Khan isn't as good (in my opinion). Spence took the fight after he became damaged goods.

Brook needs a couple tune-ups and then maybe one more crack at the championship level. Then we'll see how things shake out.

Some people give him guff for taking a knee during the Spence fight, but I think his corner should have been on it sooner. It was almost like his corner said, fine, we'll let the lion fight longer than we did against Golovkin, it's only a welter this time. But that logic actually backfired.

Agree with it all except I don't think he if his team thought he had a legit shot at beating GGG.

They probably thought maybe a sudden KO or referee stoppage, look good while losing and the world's your oyster at welterweight.
They didn't figure on GGG legit smashing his face in with those boulders he masquerades as hands.

imo

It was the biggest name and payday he ever fought. That's why he was clamoring for Khan so much. His fame was entirely within Europe; nobody cared about him outside.

Why couldn't he have had a gimme fight back at 147 before Spence? Going up and down 2 weight classes within a two fight span to fight the most dangerous fighter in each class is crazy.

Brook had waited for big names for quite a long time, and he wasn't getting younger. While it probably wasn't the brightest move, at least he secured 2 decent paydays. @RR said in another thread that a Charlo brother is pretty much OK to box Jacobs even if their sparring session clearly showed that he's not ready. Some boxers and their entourage just want the money ASAP.

Brook had waited for big names for quite a long time, and he wasn't getting younger. While it probably wasn't the brightest move, at least he secured 2 decent paydays. @RR said in another thread that a Charlo brother is pretty much OK to box Jacobs even if their sparring session clearly showed that he's not ready. Some boxers and their entourage just want the money ASAP.

He was mishandled but end of the day he cleaned it up. He also has a few good marketing deals that run 1 and 4 years.

Twin will fight us and it will be really ugly. He will get knocked out but he needs the money which is cool. He doesn't have an entourage he just can't manage his money. Such is the case for moet boxers you well know

Last edited:
I thought Brook would beat Spence and that it was too soon for Spence, and that Brook was the best fighter at 147lbs so long as he could still make the weight safely. Obviously taking the Golovkin fight was a bad idea for the longevity of his career long-term, though they cashed out on it big short-term. Then going down two weight classes for Spence will have taken its toll as well. He had some really great skills and a nice style of boxing, hopefully he can bounce back and go to 154 and be fit and healthy there, but no one would be surprised if it turns out he's shot now because of those last two bouts.

That's where his management and the promoter should come into it. I'm sure Brook himself thought he could beat Golovkin, but realistically everyone with any clue knew he wasn't going to win and that it was a fight he might easily get damaged in. A lot of the pre-fight talk was on how dangerous it was for Brook to move up two weight classes to face such a hard puncher. And then he gets his orbital bone broken.

The weird thing was, he didn't even look that bad against GGG, though I thought it was a gigantic mismatch to begin with.
He was actually doing work in there. That is of course until the Golovkin train ran all over him.

I still think he can give a lot of people problems in his natural division, question is indeed, how much did those two fights take out of him...

He was never beating E. I tried to tell everyone on here it was free money. My personal bias aside there's only one person who can beat him and that fight isn't happening. Loma and E will be jocking for the top p4p spot for like 5 years.

My personal bias aside there's only one person who can beat him and that fight isn't happening.

Who's that?

I think Canelo at 154 would have to currently be favoured over Spence

Spence was mandatory so he had little choice but to fight him! In hindsight he shouldn't have fought golovkin

He could have just vacated and moved to 154 though

kells not cut from that cloth and his style and body is not suited for jmw. hes not a big puncher at 147, doesnt have a high workrate and would have nothing for lara, jermell or andrade.

my guess he finishes with amir khan in a mega payday and calls it a career, probably earning 20 mm in total earnings in a three year span.

He was never beating E. I tried to tell everyone on here it was free money. My personal bias aside there's only one person who can beat him and that fight isn't happening. Loma and E will be jocking for the top p4p spot for like 5 years.

Spence is crazy good for sure.

Back