The most well-rounded fighter in UFC history???

DJ
GSP
Jones
Fedor
Rizzo (for the 90s)

Pick your poison. They are all fair answers.
I think TFerg, Volk and Islam are more well rounded than I seem to see them getting credit for.

DJ but his height skills fall a little short

GSP, Jones, MM, and now in my opinion Makhachev, the guy is elite everywhere

Roy Nelson is quite well rounded (both in figure and skills for a HW)

roy_nelson_4.jpg
Well Rotund

Mighty Mouse I think is the best answer.

Good everywhere offensively and defensively

For higher weights GSP, absolutely amazing.

GSP didn't have the best submission offense. But amazing everywhere.

Hard not to pick Mighty Mouse. Punches, kicks, knees, wrestling in the clinch and shots, GNP, grappling on top, grappling on bottom...there was literally nothing that he didn't do at an insanely high level. GSP and Jones didn't threaten people with wicked guards, Anderson wasn't going to outwrestle anyone above the skill level of Lee Murray, but I can't imagine a single scenario out of bounds for a Mighty Mouse clinic.

Other than Mighty Mouse, GSP and Fedor always stood out as the pinnacle of not just threatening but actually being able to win from just about anywhere just about any way. Marco Ruas and Frank Shamrock back in the day also impressively put together well-rounded skill-sets, with Frank actually excelling and being able to beat people with strikes or submissions, even though he never really had good TDD.
Anderson beat Olympic Wrestler Dan Henderson on the ground. Just Sayin'.

Anderson beat Olympic Wrestler Dan Henderson on the ground. Just Sayin'.

Yeah, he tapped him on the ground, but he didn't outwrestle him. He tapped Chael on the ground, too, but he got mauled beforehand. Not exactly the same as GSP outwrestling Hughes or Fedor outstriking Cro Cop. More like Bas Rutten never being able to stop the TD but being able to either KO you on the feet or tap you on the ground. Granted, this didn't hurt either Anderson or Bas all that much with their respective win streaks, but when we're talking about the most well-rounded, Anderson's not the frontrunner by any stretch.

Mighty mouse
Machida
Charles olive
Brendan schaub (not even kidding. He did it all)

Jones had good striking, but alot of that was due to him being usually 2 tims the size of his opponents and them being 50. The times where he faced someone bigger and younger he always struggled alot in the stand up department.

GSP's striking was also pretty average.
He beat multiple world champions with strikes. Good and flashy can be two completely different things.

Topuria is looking like that guy right now.

Fast hands with nasty one shot KO power. Nullified Ryan Hall's grappling and KO'd him on the ground. Ragdolled and submitted Bryce Mitchell.

<JonesLaugh>
Outwrestled and took down Olympic medalists
Jon%2BJones%2BTakes%2BDown%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif

Outstruck great strikers
method_get_s_jon-jones-shogun-gif.gif

submitted BJJ blackbelts
View attachment 1041046

GSP and Mighty Mouse are also extremely well rounded and elite in all areas

I can't include Jones because his boxing is quite average. I'll go either GSP or Mighty Mouse, can't split them.

For an old school answer Marco Ruas was the most well rounded early fighter I can remember, he was even before Frank Shamrock.

DJ or his XXL version, Jon Jones (or is DJ the XXS version of Jones?), and it might be DJ as he never was the taller/longer fighter, never, at best they were equal on size.
Damn good point. Never considered that he never really had a size advantage

Anderson Silva. Knocked people out with kicks, elbows, knees, and punches. Pre-Weidman, he literally finished every fighter that took him down. Submitted Henderson and Sonnen. Out wrestled Nate Marquardt.
Subbed Lutter too

if mighty mouse's body was in proportion to his head, all bets would be off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stor
Back