The Myth of Sergei Pavlovich's Power

Pav has remarkable hand speed for a big guy. his ability to chain punches into combinations is superb. its no wonder that a few of his opponents turtled up because when Pav smells blood he literally does not stop throwing. and theyre not windmill crazy haymakers; theyre quick, accurate punches that he sometimes changes mid throw (like the shovel/uppercut punch he knocked down Blaydes with). so what if he's not a one hitter quitter? he's obviously hitting hard enough to make people crumble after a few hits. i think his ability to throw those fast combinations is just as, if not more impressive than, the ability to one hit KO. other than prime Stipe i cant think of a HW in the last few years with quicker hands.

yeah look at when he KO'd Golm. dude just slumped down awkwardly, he was donezo.
Pretty much this.

He throws punches in bunches so it's harder to land the one-punch KO.

But people are STATISTICALLY less likely to survive past the first round against Sergei than any other fighter in UFC history.
<BC1>

Last edited:
I've likened him to a Terminator / Michael Myers. He's obviously strong and powerful sure, no one's arguing he's not. But just like with them the biggest danger is really the fact that he just keeps coming at you. He's perfectly willing to absorb some strikes if it means he gets to hit you back, and he tends to throw back more than once when he does. So far, for the most part, it's worked out.

Just like with them you're either going to need to overpower them, or much more likely outsmart / outfight them.

Yeah it's how long he sustains his attack. If you look at my original post, or maybe one or two responses afterward, I mentioned this — it's like he just "decides" then it's a free-for-all slugfest until the end.

People keep covering-up, thinking it's going to stop, but he never stops.

It should be pointed out that three or four of his 6 "first round KO's" had the other fighter protesting the stoppage. They were covering up, but they were not knocked-out, or quitting, they were just covering up from his onslaught.

They been primarily strikers, who don't clinch or wrestle.

I think Stipe has the brains, size, legit athleticism + good physical condition, not to mention experience to give Pavlovich a run for his money.

That is absolutely untrue. He didn't knock out any of them.

He swarmed them, overwhelmed them, and got them to curl up in balls to avoid the oncoming swarm.

He got six ref stoppages, due to curled/quitting opponents.

He has a vicious attack, yes, but is not "KOing" anyone.
TKO has the work "knock out" in it. They aren't getting into those positions because of his pace. Hes dropping and battering these guys in the first round. He's a slugger in boxing terms. Not explosive knockouts but its like being nailed by a rock. If you can't last 5 minutes standing with a guy cause of his power he hits hard.

TKO has the work "knock out" in it. They aren't getting into those positions because of his pace. Hes dropping and battering these guys in the first round. He's a slugger in boxing terms. Not explosive knockouts but its like being nailed by a rock. If you can't last 5 minutes standing with a guy cause of his power he hits hard.
It's how he throws his punches as well. Guys like Francis load up with giant punches but this also why Francis misses a lot and didn't even have the technique to land on Derrick Lewis or Gane.

Sergei has actual combinations, accuracy and tremendous reach. He's not putting all his power into his shots and he's still finishing everyone in the first round. That is true power. His way is clearly better and more efficient than Francis.

He's very heavy handed and has more of a thudding power.. He's not as explosive as Ngannou so he isn't KOing guys stiff like Francis.

Just as lethal because he places his punches better than Francis

I just got finished watching his last four fights, none were by flatline/devastating KOs.

Instead, all of Pavlovich's knockouts came from very fast hands + nonstop swarming, where he simply overwhelmed his opponents with volume, relentlessness, and placement. Some of these "knockouts" actually looked like early ref stoppages, quite frankly.

Basically, the majority of Pavlovich' KOs are with his opponents "sulled-up" in a ball, not wanting to fight anymore. (Tuvasa, Lewis, Blaydes, etc.). Pavlovich certainly isn't leaving anyone "stiff and motionless" out cold on the floor, like Pereira has done, or that Ngannou has done.

I also noticed that Pavlovich got hit hard by Blaydes, who is a wrestler. If Pavlovich allows himself to take punches like that, from a guy like Ngannou, he's gonna be the one on his back and stiff.

I think he's smarter than Ngannou, and faster than Ngannou, but he sure doesn't hit like Ngannou.

It's a shame Francis has overestimated his importance in the fighting world, because if he were still in the UFC, it would be a hell of a fight to see these two. But they are ≠ in power.

Francis hits much harder than Pavlovich, but Pavlovich has faster hands, is more accurate — and throws with much more volume.
He's like Cyborg but a little more technical and accurate. People mistake the tkos as proof of power but they are actually swarming pressure fighters who rely on volume

It's how he throws his punches as well. Guys like Francis load up with giant punches but this also why Francis misses a lot and didn't even have the technique to land on Derrick Lewis or Gane.

Sergei has actual combinations, accuracy and tremendous reach. He's not putting all his power into his shots and he's still finishing everyone in the first round. That is true power. His way is clearly better and more efficient than Francis.

Best explanation I've read so far in this thread.

Sergei's power is probably like 9.5/10. If he loaded up like Francis he could probably deliver very similar knockouts.

He's very heavy handed and has more of a thudding power.. He's not as explosive as Ngannou so he isn't KOing guys stiff like Francis.

Just as lethal because he places his punches better than Francis

Francis is definitely the more athletic of the two and that probably contributes to why they fight so differently despite having a pretty well identical KO rate.

He also seems to be able to sustain a blitz, for a long time, without gassing out.

But he eats punches coming in. Lots of them.

Can't really do that if he faces Francis.

Ngannou more like overrated “mythical power”

<Steiner01>

Your argument is Ngannou hits harder therefore Pavlovich's power is a myth? Pavlovich has ridiculous power your title is bunk.

Your argument is Ngannou hits harder therefore Pavlovich's power is a myth? Pavlovich has ridiculous power your title is bunk.

If Sergei threw every fucking shot from the other side of the cage with EVERYTHING he’s got… I’d bet money he’d completely shut some fighters brains off for 50 counts. But he’s smarter than that and is more crisp/sharp with his combos.

This reminds me of the argument of Wladimir Klitschko’s power vs Wilders. IF Klitschko wound up and threw every punch to the point of almost falling over his own feet, I’m sure he would absolutely flatline guys too here and there. He did anyway sometimes. But less ‘Highlight Reel’ KO’s. But… He arguably hit harder than Wilder but was sharper and way more economical.

When those two sparred, Wladimir showed him the importance of sharpness>>> Stupid haymakers. :D Knocked Wilder out cold. Twice

Record streak of 6 R1 finishes. I'm sure Ngannou, Gane, and Jones would all consider him extremely dangerous. It depends how much he's putting behind each one in his typical cluster of punches. I don't think he's trying to put everything in one shot like some do. I think he's more interested in speed and the follow ups. When he catches someone he pours it on. His method is speed and volume but this doesn't mean he can't 1 shot someone asleep.

Last edited:
IMHO, I know Pav has one-punch power, but his training taught him to first overwhelm his opponents. Going for that Knock-Out punch would go against his training... get your advantage, then pound 'em out.

He has double the finishes Francis had in his first 7 fights...against higher level competition

Pav has remarkable hand speed for a big guy. his ability to chain punches into combinations is superb. its no wonder that a few of his opponents turtled up because when Pav smells blood he literally does not stop throwing. and theyre not windmill crazy haymakers; theyre quick, accurate punches that he sometimes changes mid throw (like the shovel/uppercut punch he knocked down Blaydes with). so what if he's not a one hitter quitter? he's obviously hitting hard enough to make people crumble after a few hits. i think his ability to throw those fast combinations is just as, if not more impressive than, the ability to one hit KO. other than prime Stipe i cant think of a HW in the last few years with quicker hands.

yeah look at when he KO'd Golm. dude just slumped down awkwardly, he was donezo.
Ngannou's fastest punches seem faster to me than Sergei's fastest.

Agreed. Ngannou is also not as fast as Wilder with the right.

Francis' money shot is that Titanic left hook/uppercut, whereas Wilder has dynamite in both hands, but his right is his money shot.

But the point is similar. They are both capable of literally ending the fight one punch.

Ngannou wouldn't make it out of the first round against Wilder, in a boxing match, however. Doesn't have the speed or the skill.
Ngannou is more technical than Wilder and has deadly counter punching.

Back