The next weight class you would add...

Most of the world's men and MMA talent are within that FW/LW/WW range - it's why FW/LW are such stacked divisions in every org, so another LW type division could easily be filled up.

I would simply introduce 165lbs and re-label WW to 175lbs, reinstate the roster as it is.

Heavier weight classes (MW, LHW, HW) simply lack talent to absorb another one. Especially now with USADA.

Splitting the HW division would leave an upper weight range that would be almost useless while the 225 division would probably gain a few 205 fighters that are struggling to make weight.

I would like to see the range from 170 to 185 changed so that it would go from two division to three divisions (perhaps we would have 155, 165, 175, 185).

Dissolve 170.

Add 165 and 175.
That raises a lot of interesting questions:
Which WWs would move up and which would move down? Which LWs would move up and which MWs would move down?

But personally I would most want to add women's atomweight

Súperheavy because I like fatties fighting and atomweight foxy boxing

Unpopular opinion but more weight classes like boxing. Maybe not quite as many but currently we see massive size differences between guys fighting at the same weight class and that shouldn’t happen all that frequently.

Ideally everyone at a weight class is the same size, for the most part. Making weight classes 10, even 15-20 lbs, apart from one another doesn’t make sense IMO.

Unpopular opinion but more weight classes like boxing. Maybe not quite as many but currently we see massive size differences between guys fighting at the same weight class and that shouldn’t happen all that frequently.

Ideally everyone at a weight class is the same size, for the most part. Making weight classes 10, even 15-20 lbs, apart from one another doesn’t make sense IMO.

Creating more weight classes does not solve that problem. Having "day-of" weigh-ins, or limiting the amount of weight that can be regained post-weigh in is a better solution. Guys can cut 25 lbs for weigh-ins but if they are limited to only regaining 5 pounds for the fight, it will help with the size discrepancies or make fighters contemplate changing classes.

Creating more weight classes does not solve that problem. Having "day-of" weigh-ins, or limiting the amount of weight that can be regained post-weigh in is a better solution. Guys can cut 25 lbs for weigh-ins but if they are limited to only regaining 5 pounds for the fight, it will help with the size discrepancies or make fighters contemplate changing classes.

You’re not wrong, but it definitely would help. Even if you implement a same day weigh in you’re still cramming too many fighters into too few weight classes.

There are so many humans that are naturally between 185 and 205 for example. Outweighing a guy by even five or ten lbs is massive. You aren’t the same size at that point and you realistically belong in different weight classes.

So, yes I think what you’re saying is equally important, but you would probably need both same day weigh in and additional weight classes to truly solve the problem.

Open weight is s dope idea. But how would you determine contenders against who ever is champ. I honestly dont think they need more divisions. Unless it's heavier womens division. Open weight is a nice thought. But it would be impossible to dictate number one contenders.

Super heavy. Need that bob sapp
Bob-Sapp-7.jpg

Back