Movies The Odd Couple (1968)

StewDogg11

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
MV5BZDVhNzQxZDEtMzcyZC00ZDg1LWFkZDctOWYxZTY0ZmYzYjc2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjA0MDQ0Mjc@._V1_.jpg

I rewatched this classic in beautiful Blu Ray the other day and man does it still hold up. Still legitimately laugh out loud funny even though it’s now 55 years old. Lemmon and Matthau were absolute gold together.

Fun fact: It’s actually rated G but has a fair amount of mild curse words, subtle sexual humor, and touches on some dark subjects. I would argue that today’s PG films are more tame than this. I think it’d definitely be rated PG-13 if it came out today.

The only movies from the 60's that I can stomach are the spaghetti westerns

Never seen the TV shows or The Odd Couple II for that matter as I heard it was terrible. Didn’t want to see greats like Matthau and Lemmon reduced to a shitty by the numbers cash grab type of movie. Same with Out to Sea. I do still love Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men though.

Never seen the TV shows or The Odd Couple II for that matter as I heard it was terrible. Didn’t want to see greats like Matthau and Lemmon reduced to a shitty by the numbers cash grab type of movie. Same with Out to Sea. I do still love Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men though.
i recall it being on tv, my old man must have been watching it, i remember the cartoon though

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can't stand little notes on my pillow. "We're all out of cornflakes. F.U." Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Ungar!

It’s a great movie in my opinion. And though it’s one of those films where you can absolutely tell it’s an adaptation of a play (RIP Neil Simon) that doesn’t take away from it at all.

Probably Matthau and Lemmon’s best collaboration. they’re both hilarious in it.

“It’s not spaghetti, it’s linguini.”

(Oscar throws the plate against the wall)

“Now it’s garbage…”

You have to think of this play,movie,tv show in context, prior to this divorce was a bit of a taboo subject, it was still pretty scandalous

You have to think of this play,movie,tv show in context, prior to this divorce was a bit of a taboo subject, it was still pretty scandalous

Also, while that- friends living together and starting to act like a bickering couple- thing has been done so many times in comedy now that it has become like a trope, Simon basically did it before it was a trope and did it better than subsequent attempts, too.

The poker scenes are priceless. This thread is going to make me watch that movie again lol.

Oscar: If you're my accountant, then why do I need money?
Roy: If you need money, why do you play poker?
Oscar: Because I need money.
Roy: But you always lose.
Oscar: That's why I need the money.
Roy: Then don't play poker.

Love the roundabout logic.

Also, while that- friends living together and starting to act like a bickering couple- thing has been done so many times in comedy now that it has become like a trope, Simon basically did it before it was a trope and did it better than subsequent attempts, too.

The poker scenes are priceless. This thread is going to make me watch that movie again lol.

Oscar: If you're my accountant, then why do I need money?
Roy: If you need money, why do you play poker?
Oscar: Because I need money.
Roy: But you always lose.
Oscar: That's why I need the money.
Roy: Then don't play poker.

Love the roundabout logic.
Oscar Madison: I'm in for a quarter.
Murray: Aren't you going to look at your cards first?
Oscar Madison: What for? I'm gonna bluff anyway.

Oscar Madison: I'm in for a quarter.
Murray: Aren't you going to look at your cards first?
Oscar Madison: What for? I'm gonna bluff anyway.

Murray: Did you know Felix once got locked in a john over night? He wrote his entire will out on half a roll of toilet paper. (Laughing to himself) What a nut!

Paraphrasing:

Oscar: Felix? I know him. He’s too nervous to kill himself. He wears a seatbelt at the drive-in movie.

Back