Movies The performance of John Hurt in The Elephant Man - Is it mostly great acting or great makeup?

Is it mostly great acting or great makeup?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love the performance of John Hurt in this film. I think the way he moved and the way he used his voice brought up the emotional resonance to the screen.

His makeup/mask helped no doubt, but the way John Hurt expressed himself and that voice you can't help but feel sympathy for him.

When it all comes down to it, it's certainly a bit of both. But his acting is what took it to another level imo.

As an aside, while I loved this movie, it was barely the true story it purported to be. The real Joseph Merrick was more of a business partner in his freak show career and not the caged and abused slave the movie portrayed.

P.S. Anyone else think he looks a bit like Amy Schumer?

Great makeup.

Even if you want to say great acting, you don’t get that performance without the actor seeing themselves in the makeup and fully getting into character.

Great makeup.

Even if you want to say great acting, you don’t get that performance without the actor seeing themselves in the makeup and fully getting into character.

So do you believe any actor could be convincing in that role?

So do you believe any actor could be convincing in that role?

Not necessarily, it takes a certain type of actor to even approach a role like this.

I do know that no actor would be convincing in the role without the makeup though.

The makeup (and of course directing and photography) is amazing, but there aren't many people that can get that much of a human and sympathetic performance. A lot of actors would simply overact but Hurt reined things in and it made the performance much more believable. This isn't a case of "good looking actor uglies themselves up to try to get an Oscar" (Theron, Kidman, and Bradley Cooper recently).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back