The problem with ankle locks is...

iJitz

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
[YT]watch?v=A07iHgZZ6_E[/YT]

Here Rener is commentating on the match and about the 9:30 mark I hear him say that the problem with the straight ankle lock is that people will let it pop and keep going. Says it's one of those joints you can do without. Basically saying it's an ineffective sub for self-defense is he not?

ankel lock? yes. foot lock? no two different subs

"straight ankle lock"

you fail.

a toe hold is not a straight ankle lock

Wasn't Reners go to move during his competition stint a reaping straight ankle?

I actually agree with him on that one. That said, that was a horrible ankle lock attempt.

Satoshi... he's like the Brazilian Wolverine

22-jump-street-1.jpg

Also, why did Clarke have to interrupt that Dragonball thing he does? That shit is awesome.

i agree on the straight ankle lock for self defense being kind of low % to finish fights. also if ppl scramble or you lose control you are in a nice position to eat some mule/up kicks.

How exactly does he fail? At what point did anyone say a toe hold IS a straight ankle lock?

I think he assumed by "foot lock" he meant toe hold. Because a foot lock isn't really a submission. When you say foot lock, what part of a foot are you attacking? I think the term foot lock is often misused.

"straight ankle lock"

you fail.

a toe hold is not a straight ankle lock

the grappling forum is great except for the rampant pedantry. why can't you just make the correction and explain the difference and then move on? it takes like fifteen seconds to write a sentence or two. not that time consuming.

'Straight ankle lock' is a nebulous term. What are you putting pressure on? The way I attack ankle locks, I'm basically trying to toe hold you with the foot in my armpit. It's more of a twisting lock than a straight foot lock of any sort. And it will definitely ruin your day, if you've every been hit with a really hard toe hold you'll know it's not something you can just suffer through very easily (the toe hold essentially causes an ankle sprain). I'm quite confident that if I was fighting someone and I hit a hard straight foot lock that I'd be able to win the fight. If nothing else, you're not going to be able to move well so I can probably just stand back up and kick the hell out of you.

'Straight ankle lock' is a nebulous term. What are you putting pressure on? The way I attack ankle locks, I'm basically trying to toe hold you with the foot in my armpit. It's more of a twisting lock than a straight foot lock of any sort. And it will definitely ruin your day, if you've every been hit with a really hard toe hold you'll know it's not something you can just suffer through very easily (the toe hold essentially causes an ankle sprain). I'm quite confident that if I was fighting someone and I hit a hard straight foot lock that I'd be able to win the fight. If nothing else, you're not going to be able to move well so I can probably just stand back up and kick the hell out of you.

I agree with you on this. I picked up doing it this way through the Reily Bodycomb DVD. Like you said its not something you can just toughen out it.

Glad you guys are talking about grips. The mentioned twisting ankle lock is legit. Got to compete against Roli three weeks ago.....my ankle popped 3 times before i could tap and it's still sore ha ha.

I figured the idea Rener was trying to convey was that at a high level, when championships and money are on the line, some guys are much less likely to tap to the foot or ankle attacks and just let it break. Where as say a shoulder or arm attack they see as more dangerous to ride out. The old "tap or snap" phrase will see some guys go with snap rather than give up to certain attacks.

At least, that is how I interpreted Rener's view at the time.

I agree with you on this. I picked up doing it this way through the Reily Bodycomb DVD. Like you said its not something you can just toughen out it.

Most of my leg locking game is from Reilly. Most of the rest is from Roli Delgado. I'm not sure how much more I need.

In the last sambo worlds, there was a.girl from Bulgaria, who left her opponent break her arm with jujigatame, because she was leading on points and ahe won the fight.
Then competed in the finals and got silver, because her opponent knew about the broken arm and went straight to elbow grip.
So, is the jujigatame ineffective now?

I've been an avid fan and user of ankle locks. I've studied Roli,Dean and Reilly's material and definitely put the mat hours into them. If done correctly, they definitely can break your ankle. The weakness of them is that there is a very small window of inaccuracy as far as doing that.Your leg position,your grip position, and their foot position has to be close to perfect. Being inaccurate in either of those can make the submission a pain compliance one or make it easily escapable. In addition, your opponent is defending and you have to keep these three things accurate throughout their defense. Now when you look at an armbar,heelhook or most chokes, you can be far less accurate in the techniques to still accomplish enough damage/injury to end the fight. IMO this is why you really don't see many straight ankle lock finishes at the highest levels, even by the accepted "experts" in the submission.

Even if someone is tough enough to gut out a foot being dislocated in a self defense situation, that injury is going to make it almost impossible to continue the fight. What are they going to do when you stand up after you've dislocated their foot? Try to hop around and punch you? I don't care how tough you are, a broken/dislocated limb is putting you into shock, that's just physiology. This isn't the movies.

[YT]
Here Rener is commentating on the match and about the 9:30 mark I hear him say that the problem with the straight ankle lock is that people will let it pop and keep going. Says it's one of those joints you can do without. Basically saying it's an ineffective sub for self-defense is he not?

I've hit ankle locks in competition before. A couple guys waited to tap until it was too late and their ankles started cracking. They tapped immediately.

I don't know if I'd ever try one in a self defense situation, but I guess if you hit one correctly the guy would be in trouble like some others here have mentioned.

Back