The problem with today’s UFC trash talk

Yagadot

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
It is not an issue for me if trash talk is offensive. It is all about the humour. When Tito, Rampage or Chael used to do it you would be able to laugh. Or they would turn the joke on themselves (not always intentional). This would create memorable moments.

People think he was the best at it but I can’t even recall any trash talk moments from Conor McGregor since the Khabib press conference. I think that is because he just went completely off the rails and ignored his persona had to be somewhat funny at times to work.

Colby basically had a decent gimmick but was too stupid to use it properly. A persona of just being a scumbag is not going to work and I think he will be forgotten pretty fast.

it’s super forced. I’m pretty sure ufc makes them talk trash to hype up a bad blood fight

Problem is every fight is a grudge match now to the point where it lost its novelty

Yeah, I think a lot are copying the next guy to get recognition.

it’s super forced. I’m pretty sure ufc makes them talk trash to hype up a bad blood fight

Problem is every fight is a grudge match now to the point where it lost its novelty
The UFC doesn’t “make them talk trash”. There’s no bad blood or trash talking with about 90%+ of the fighters. It’s just the clowns that talk shit. And it’s usually a massive fail. And the fall can be pretty brutal.

Give me a cpl respectful fighters all day. Occasionally a real hatred can be fun. But there are too many lowlifes that do nothing but talk shit.

It can be contrived but Colbys shtick just sucks and he isn’t naturally talented like Askren or old Conor so he just becomes a petty bitch.

It's all about cashing checks and not beating into living death

People think he was the best at it but I can’t even recall any trash talk moments from Conor McGregor since the Khabib press conference.

one that stands out was when conor was talking shit to poirier about how poirier was gonna be a dead body getting carried out on a stretcher, and then conor ended up being carried out on a stretcher after the fight.

It is not an issue for me if trash talk is offensive. It is all about the humour. When Tito, Rampage or Chael used to do it you would be able to laugh. Or they would turn the joke on themselves (not always intentional). This would create memorable moments.

People think he was the best at it but I can’t even recall any trash talk moments from Conor McGregor since the Khabib press conference. I think that is because he just went completely off the rails and ignored his persona had to be somewhat funny at times to work.

Colby basically had a decent gimmick but was too stupid to use it properly. A persona of just being a scumbag is not going to work and I think he will be forgotten pretty fast.
His gimmick has you and other sensitive Susans still talking about him. He wins in that regard.

"Playing touchbutt with that dork in the park"

"Got slapped backstage and now you forgot how to make weight."

Diaz' trash talk is so effective because its true and his opponents know it. He doesn't need to attack family members or any of that garbage. He just tells it like it is.

MMA needs WWE style trash shit, hell Dana was praising about how Colbys statement about Leons dad put up a ton of PPV buys in real time...

Just have to accept anything goes in the UFC & as long as it earns money, Dana will back it up

"Playing touchbutt with that dork in the park"

"Got slapped backstage and now you forgot how to make weight."

Diaz' trash talk is so effective because its true and his opponents know it. He doesn't need to attack family members or any of that garbage. He just tells it like it is.
Nate bless, crazy how far some people have to take it to push the envelope :(

His gimmick has you and other sensitive Susans still talking about him. He wins in that regard.
Yes. I'm sure as Colby cries himself to sleep each night he's thinking, "At least they talk about me on Sherdog"

"Hey mom, I lost another fight but they're talking about me on that karate forum so thats just like winning!"

Yes. I'm sure as Colby cries himself to sleep each night he's thinking, "At least they talk about me on Sherdog"

"Hey mom, I lost another fight but they're talking about me on that karate forum so thats just like winning!"
Dude’s rich, famous, and a certified badass compared to 90% of mankind. I’m sure he’s crying himself all the way to the bank cause he lost a fight.
Unlike you, who mods the karate forum from your Mom’s basement, never having the courage to win or lose and actual MMA fight, but only winning when “yellow carding” people on said forum.

Dude’s rich, famous, and a certified badass compared to 90% of mankind. I’m sure he’s crying himself all the way to the bank cause he lost a fight.
Unlike you, who mods the karate forum from your Mom’s basement, never having the courage to win or lose and actual MMA fight, but only winning when “yellow carding” people on said forum.
lol. My mom doesn't even have a basement.

The on the fly creativity and ability to deliver the lines is really poor. I don't like make-believe characters to begin with but when people with no talent try to play that game, it really becomes painful.

I wish that they would just stfu with the weak trash talk and answer the questions as their real selves.

I'm waiting for DDP to come out wearing a shirt with Sean's abusive fathers face on it
that would be hilarious. i would respect him more if he did that. not because of how much it would hurt sean, but because how much it would piss all of you off.

Trash talk it seems has evolved from having genuine dislikes between fighters and camps to just saying ridiculous stuff for the shock factor. Talking about peoples dead parents/relatives and childhoods is tacky. Nkt as tacky as people being loud and obnoxious vowing to kiiiiiilllllll the man dead tomorrow night. Smh. Nothing about it is genuine.

Back