The problem with today’s UFC trash talk

It is not an issue for me if trash talk is offensive. It is all about the humour. When Tito, Rampage or Chael used to do it you would be able to laugh. Or they would turn the joke on themselves (not always intentional). This would create memorable moments.

People think he was the best at it but I can’t even recall any trash talk moments from Conor McGregor since the Khabib press conference. I think that is because he just went completely off the rails and ignored his persona had to be somewhat funny at times to work.

Colby basically had a decent gimmick but was too stupid to use it properly. A persona of just being a scumbag is not going to work and I think he will be forgotten pretty fast.
It was never decent cos he sucked so bad. Thankfully he is never gonna be near the top again

it’s super forced. I’m pretty sure ufc makes them talk trash to hype up a bad blood fight

Problem is every fight is a grudge match now to the point where it lost its novelty
UFC doesn't make them say anything. The fighters do it to impress big boss man and sell the fight.

But of course the UFC/media also take things fighters say out of context and use it for their promo/headlines.

Last edited:
How hard is it to be edgy nowadays? Pretty fucking easy especially if you have a microphone & a broadcast.

During the broadcast idk who it was, but someone from the commentator team said that Colby coming up with that no class comment on Leon's dad was "high level mental warfare" or something like that. They were super happy to use this for promoting the event and they weren't even trying to hide it.

It is not an issue for me if trash talk is offensive. It is all about the humour. When Tito, Rampage or Chael used to do it you would be able to laugh. Or they would turn the joke on themselves (not always intentional). This would create memorable moments.

People think he was the best at it but I can’t even recall any trash talk moments from Conor McGregor since the Khabib press conference. I think that is because he just went completely off the rails and ignored his persona had to be somewhat funny at times to work.

Colby basically had a decent gimmick but was too stupid to use it properly. A persona of just being a scumbag is not going to work and I think he will be forgotten pretty fast.
It seems to meet most that criteria for the 30% of people he's targeting. And the other 70%, who cannot understand why those 30% love it? Well, half of them get triggered - which doubles the value to that first 30% of people he's targeting.

The comparison to his idol and contemporary politics is too obvious to miss.

The good news is, we may be done with this guy. Even Dana couldn't have missed how poor that outing was.

Last edited:
I think most of it is lazy, instead of promote a fight, they just cross the line to get clout and headlines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back