The problem with women in the UFC

MMA_GURU

White Belt
Reaction score
Most "big" women's mma fights in the UFC with be one of the stars that everyone knows vs. a no name fighter. Discuss.

well it's the same reason why dana white didn't want to start wmma in the first place: not enough fighters.

so this recent change-of-heart of his, seems to be some kind of desperation move to get the ufc's popularity up again.

Who are the best, more known female fighters in the UFC? If it's only the 135 division Cyborg can't make it, so this leaves just Ronda? Maybe also Miesha Tate.

It's pretty much the Rondaweight division.

The average person has only ever heard of Gina Carano who hasnt fought in 3 years and never will again and just recently Rousey. That means every womens fight in the UFC will be Rousey vs someone no one has ever heard of. I hate womens MMA, but Im cool if they make all womens fights in Invicta and just bring a challenger over to fight and Ronda and then they go back. HW has the least fighters with 28, with women they couldnt even make a 10 deep division.

well it's the same reason why dana white didn't want to start wmma in the first place: not enough fighters.

so this recent change-of-heart of his, seems to be some kind of desperation move to get the ufc's popularity up again.

No such thing as bad publicity.

However, since WMMA really began with just Carano and Cyborg, it's almost tripled in name fighters like Rousey, Tate, Fugii, Herrig, and Coenen.

Gotta start somewhere!

You could say the same for flyweight, or when the UFC brought back the lightweight division in 2006.

Dana wants to cash in on RR and there are enough talented 135ers to have a division in the UFC. Ronda, Baszler, Carmouche, McMann, Cyborg, Tate, Zingano, Nunes, Duke, Kedzie, Dudieva. Be honest, you guys saying theres no one out is just because you dont follow womens mma.

Having them in the UFC is going to have a huge impact in the amount of females getting into the sport.

Dana says all the time that all the best fighters are in the UFC and those of us that watch other MMA know that isnt the case. He doesnt watch mma outside of the UFC except a fight here and there, how could he possibly have an educated opinion on the other fighters out there? Thats the case with most fans here on womens mma.

Who are the best, more known female fighters in the UFC? If it's only the 135 division Cyborg can't make it, so this leaves just Ronda? Maybe also Miesha Tate.

It's pretty much the Rondaweight division.

They need to bring in Sara McMann. She would smash them both.

They need to bring in some female fighters from Japan

Well, part of the challenge will be getting people to know more than 2 fighters so the scenario you describe does not become what the division is.

There are certainly more than 2 good women fighters out there, it's just a matter of getting them a little bit of exposure so they can start the matchmaking.

In addition to depth of talent, I think there is a more glaring problem.

As a society we aren't conditioned to watching women get injured and the crap beat out of them. This will prevent the advancement of all womens combat sports.

And this is different than having to have guys who have lost MW title fights move up to fight the LHW champ how?

They need to bring in some female fighters from Japan

This may be a good idea. If there's one thing I've learned about the MMA fan over my years on Sherdog, it's that yellow fever runs rampant. 98% of the white guys on this site have asian wives - true story.

As a society we aren't conditioned to watching women get injured and the crap beat out of them. This will prevent the advancement of all womens combat sports.

Women's combat sports will also solve that sexist little problem. Give it time, people will get used to seeing women as athletes.

It will slow it down and stifle it a little, but it won't prevent it. It will advance.

I think this is a great point. Not saying its right for people to think this way, but its true.

GSP said it himself and hes a fighter.

WMMA will never take off.

Women's combat sports will also solve that sexist little problem. Give it time, people will get used to seeing women as athletes.

People are very used to seeing women as athletes. They're just not used to seeing them fight.

I guess we'll see. Women's boxing has never really taken off.

Could it possibly be that women are simply less aggressive and violent then men? Probably.

Most "big" women's mma fights in the UFC with be one of the stars that everyone knows vs. a no name fighter. Discuss.

1/2 fighters being stars beats 0/2 being names, which is the case in most main card matches these days

Didnt Dana say women wont fight in the ufc because women are pretty and we dont want to see them hurtin each other?

My have times changed.

I think this is a great point. Not saying its right for people to think this way, but its true.

GSP said it himself and hes a fighter.

WMMA will never take off.

I think it will be very dependent on the individual fighters, their looks and their personalities. I don't think your basic women's MMA fight is going to move the meter at all, but certain fighters and rivalries can and will be marketed in a way that will draw a lot of interest from time to time.

Back