The Pub

I feel dirty just thinking about it.

Seriously, get a bar you'll be happy with. A good bar will last a lifetime, and is where I'd prioritize spending money when setting up a gym. As for a bench, a decent bench that fits in a power rack will get the job done.

A couple other pieces of equipment that I see get a lot of use at my gym (1) bands, not so much for accommodating resistance - although that's still an option - but because they allow for a wide range of assistance exercises, prehab/rehab stuff, band assisted stretching, etc. Doubly so if you're training at home without dumbbells, cables, etc. (2) Rubber mats - stand on them for deficit deadlifts, put the bar on the for pulling off blocks, use them to jack up one end of bench, or to have the feet on when benching, etc.

I use bars with no center knurl sometimes. I don't note much of a difference.

Anyone else experience pins and needles in their hands in the morning or just generally? My pinky, ring finger and the side of my hand on my right hand is numb every morning. Which is likely something to do with the ulnar nerve but I'm no doctor.

Anyone else experience pins and needles in their hands in the morning or just generally? My pinky, ring finger and the side of my hand on my right hand is numb every morning. Which is likely something to do with the ulnar nerve but I'm no doctor.

Maybe you sleep with your head on your hand?

Maybe, some mornings are worse that others. They're tingling now.. I wonder if it has something to do with deadlifting and squatting. Or that whiplash I had? Or just general hand aids.

When I used to do triathlons and would do really high volume like 20-25 hours a week of endurance training it would happen a lot. I never went to a doc about it but I just assumed my RHR was so low (would be in the mid 30s most mornings) that there wasnt too much blood getting pumped.....probably not what caused it but it used to happen to me all the time.

have you ever tried to put a tournaquet on your arm so it goes totally numb, then beat off so if feels like somebody else is doing it? I heard its awesome.

I just saw a show about "bronies" which are like adults (men and women) who are absessed with my little pony. Most of them I assume were raped/fingereda s children but it was incredibly disturbing to find that theres people who arent 6 year old girls that like that shit. Some of them were bikers and soldiers and stuff like that. What the fuck is that about???

There was even this like super urban black DJ who made my litle pony based techno music and played it at raves and shit, there is even conventions. Its one of the gayer things I saw today.

hey just a reminder, don't forget to report shit threads - ie injury threads and the stuff addressed in the sticky. It brings it to the entire mod group's attention and can be dealt w/ promptly - I live in Australia and am in a very different time zone, and work full time where I can't access sherdog.

if you take the position that you want to police it yourself via flaming, you'll just end up getting cards.

this is to save everyone drama, if you see one of your buddies fucking up w/ regards to this in a thread, maybe send him a PM about this warning to save him the trouble.

oh btw, you guys may be proud, dissuaded a colleague from starting up crossfit the other day. Never lifted before, told him to learn proper form first and recommended a reputable power lifting gym in the area instead. Threw in a 5-3-1 recommendation in there as well.

hey just a reminder, don't forget to report shit threads - ie injury threads and the stuff addressed in the sticky. It brings it to the entire mod group's attention and can be dealt w/ promptly - I live in Australia and am in a very different time zone, and work full time where I can't access sherdog.

if you take the position that you want to police it yourself via flaming, you'll just end up getting cards.

this is to save everyone drama, if you see one of your buddies fucking up w/ regards to this in a thread, maybe send him a PM about this warning to save him the trouble.

Good call, thanks BAM!

oh btw, you guys may be proud, dissuaded a colleague from starting up crossfit the other day. Never lifted before, told him to learn proper form first and recommended a reputable power lifting gym in the area instead. Threw in a 5-3-1 recommendation in there as well.

I wish I had luck like this. The Kool-AIDS at the CF gym here is pretty strong. Vodka, I think.

The only good thing about having no centre knurling is people don't ask me what the fuck happened to my neck after front squatting. I've gotten used to it now, but I don't understand why these bars even exist.

Ethan, I would stay away from rogue if I were you. They have quality stuff, but it's very pricey. If you are willing to spend top dollar, by all means go for it, but I think you'd be very well off with this stuff too.

Rack 229 canadian, I've used this before and it's very solid: http://www.fitnessavenue.ca/item.php?id=581
Bench 140 canadian, haven't used it but I lied on it and it was plenty wide and sturdy enough http://www.fitnessavenue.ca/item.php?id=639

There are also SSB and swiss bars at 100 a pop, if it tickles your fancy. I own the SSB bar and its very serviceable.

For a bar, texas power bars are the standard for a reason. They are solid, last forever and are cheap at 255: http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/products/bars/texas-power-bar-tpb

If you want new plates, that same site has them at less than a buck a pound. They also have a note about selling their barely used competition plates at 75 cents a pound in march. You could get a pair of bumpers and all your plates cheap. Or you could scour craiglist and the like for cheap plates and make out like a bandit.

Your looking at 370 from fitness avenue for a rack and bench. a little under 300 for a bar, 300 for a pair of bumpers, then another 500 for 450 pounds (or around there, I can't remember what our dollar is at right now) in iron plates from TSS. After shipping you'll be saving a grand or more while still getting quality stuff.

That's an option too Sprite. I may go that way for te bench and bar but I think a bolt together rack is pretty much mandatory in my basement, my outside service door is only 5ft high

I just saw a show about "bronies" which are like adults (men and women) who are absessed with my little pony. Most of them I assume were raped/fingereda s children but it was incredibly disturbing to find that theres people who arent 6 year old girls that like that shit. Some of them were bikers and soldiers and stuff like that. What the fuck is that about???

There was even this like super urban black DJ who made my litle pony based techno music and played it at raves and shit, there is even conventions. Its one of the gayer things I saw today.

I started to watch that...but could only stomach maybe 10 minutes of it. Weird.

I started to watch that...but could only stomach maybe 10 minutes of it. Weird.

yeah I cant believe I got through most of it, but I didnt bother pausing when I got up to piss or eat or anything lik that.

I watched most of the Bronies document that's on Netflix, not sure if you guys are are referring to the same one. It focused mostly on the kids and what struck me the most was how they mostly just wanted some other people to connect to.

I will admit that I find it slightly odd that there are adults who are very into it but lots of people are into things that I don't understand.

I watched most of the Bronies document that's on Netflix, not sure if you guys are are referring to the same one. It focused mostly on the kids and what struck me the most was how they mostly just wanted some other people to connect to.

I will admit that I find it slightly odd that there are adults who are very into it but lots of people are into things that I don't understand.

That's the one I'm talking about Dr. It definitely takes all sorts. If it's not doing anyone any harm I have no problem with it, it was just weird for me.

Finding people to connect with is important. And its also what's causing so much termoil in our world. Back when you couldn't find others like you, it was harder to be weird. It was so much easier for society in general to simply conform. I'm not a conformis, I enjoy variety and meeting new and weird people, but now every tom dick and pony loving harry makes us aware that weird people exist.

Oh shit I'm down to 9998 posts, a thread somewhere must have been deleted. I now have one post to waste in the main forum...

I think there's two documentaries on that subject on Netflix. I haven't watched either but I'm not usually a fan of documentaries in general.

A Bronies documentary... a Bronies documentary. You realize how fucked *a* Brony is, let alone many Bronies that would necessitate an entire documentary on the subject. And there's two of them? WTF, man?!

Back