The real meaning behind "inactivity" excuse

Real meaning: Conor has an alcohol and cocaine problem.

But the truth is that Dustin is way ahead of him skillwise.

And a year without a fight shouldn't be a problem for a pro mma fighter anyway.

That's absolutely ridiculous. You can definitely make the argument Dustin is more rounded, you could even make the argument he's more skilled. But at best the difference is marginal, and I'd still argue Conor is the better fighter overall. A fresh Conor is a huge problem for anyone at 155 or below, the problem is his gas tank is limited. He also sorely underestimated how effective the leg kicks were going to be, but that has always been a weakness for him- remains to be seen if he can actually fix that.

The honest truth is the best Conor we saw was up to the Aldo fight, he peaked and held there for a bit and started declining heavily around Floyd. I don't think he has the same bounce and athleticism at 155 that he did at 145, and a huge part of his success was around his fluid kicking game to set up his hands. His pure boxing stance he's had since Floyd is leaving him wide open, but I don't think it's a choice- I think he simply can't do it anymore. Maybe it's his cardio, who knows. Certainly the money and lifestyle isn't conducive to putting your all in there, and he sounded pretty flat post fight. Even if that was his last fight it's been a good ride and he's put some amazing fights out there, and helped bring the UFC into a bigger stage- so good on him.

It’s more the inactivity over a longer period of time, if you can even count the Cowboy match as a fight.

Conor has been outta the game while DP has been cutting teeth, is what it is but if Connor gets back in there often he will showcase how skilled he is.

but then again skills won’t help the chin

Ring rust is very real.

It sure seems like Conor has a problem with substance abuse, but I think it also has to do with him having kids and business ventures that need his attention. His head is not in the fight game anymore. When you're head isn't there, you're not going to beat good fighters like Dustin.

But you can't just write off ring rust as a non-factor for other fighters. You can spar all day, but it's not the same as a real fight. You have to be comfortable when that cage door closes. If you were in there 3 months ago, you probably will be. If you've only been in there twice in 4 years, you probably won't be. That's how it goes.
I think the main reason ring rust is such a real thing is because of the hard training coming up to a fight. No fighter trains harder or is more motivated than when they have a fight coming up. All that time Conor spent relaxing with his family, going on vacations, selling whiskey and battling court cases was time Dustin was preparing for and competing against the top fighters in the world.

inactive against Cerone and had no issues

The issue here is Connor is done, past it. Not that he really ever had it, fluked his way up and never defended as he knew he would loose.

That's because Cerrone is even more washed up than Conor, though. Anyone that thought that was a barometer of anything was clueless, not to mention you've got a notoriously slow starter against an explosive 1st round finisher.

If Conor never had it though then what does that say about Aldo and Alvarez exactly? Weird how there's an excuse for why he beat every one of his opponents and why it was lucky, but every loss is entirely justified because he's overrated. Conor haters are as bad as the nuthuggers.

Real meaning: Conor has an alcohol and cocaine problem.

But the truth is that Dustin is way ahead of him skillwise.

And a year without a fight shouldn't be a problem for a pro mma fighter anyway.
True. Poirier was inactive for nearly a year before the hooker fight.

“Way ahead of him skill wise” ? He was literally lighting Dustin up before the kicks affected him. He’s even knocked Dustin out before. Don’t be retarded. Conor was out boxing him and hurt him a couple times in the first.
It's was even, no one was lighting the other one up. Get real

Let me put this in a way Sherdog understands. With Conor and the UFC's self promotion, fans, media ect. thought he was a dime piece, when in reality he's just a 6.0.

I think that was Motivated Family Man Conor. Before, it was Trash Talking Energized Conor. There are reports that post-covid, he will be known as Large Venue Redemption Conor.
I like that Conor.

Sailing in on a mega yacht Connor just doesn't seem to have the gas tank needed like LVR Connor will.

I like to see Conor (or anyone) riding high fall as much as the next guy........ but inactivity can mean different things to different people. I’m sure in the case if Conor he hasn’t been a laser focused full time training fighter that he once was. It’s not that he’s fighting less frequently it’s also that his focus is elsewhere and not on full time mma training.

I thought Conor looked like shit in the first round, Dustin just looked worse. If Conor could defend the leg kicks the way he did Dustins panic takedown when he was getting out boxed and the defense he showed in the clinch shitty flat footed slow Conor likely would have been ok.

Just the fanboys will be, he will always be hated by real MMA fans

Back